Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Oleg is talking about Kuliak. What medal is he wearing? The other athletes at the rally are all Olympics. Kuliak probably invited as some sort of reward for taking the zee

Based on the ribbon on the medal, it looks like one from Rio. They had the brightly colored swirly ribbon. So maybe someone’s bronze from Rio? That’d be Ablyazin or Belyavski I think.

No, it is not necessarily the medal of another gymnast. There were dozens of Olympians from many sports present. It is unlikely to belong to anyone who was not in attendance.

It doesn’t seem to be a “thing”. Arina Averina the only one without a medal here. For those with an interest in skating, picture here are Nikita Katsalapov and Viktoria Sinitsina, Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov.

Last edited:
No, it is not necessarily the medal of another gymnast. There were dozens of Olympians from many sports present. It is unlikely to belong to anyone who was not in attendance.
I don’t follow? The medal he is wearing is almost certainly from Rio 2016. He didn’t compete in Rio 2016, or did he?

Edit: so he is wearing a medal of someone who is there too and allowed him to wear his or her medal as that someone has multiple medals? Is that what you mean?

Last edited:
Obviously the medal belongs to someone else. I don’t know who, only that it’s likely to be someone who was there from another sport, rather than another gymnast who was not. The reason for it, I do not know as Arina Averina appeared throughout without a medal and she is considered by the government as a bronze medalist and was given the financial rewards for it.

Did Khorkina remove this post (‘Russian soldier freeing Europe from Fascism’) from her Instagram? And there was obviously another Z post from Khorkina on her Instagram, per Gymnovosti Twitter, I can’t find that one either? Did she delete them both, or maybe I can’t see them for whatever reason?

Last edited:
It’s no longer there, however Instagram does have a policy of removing pro Russian content so impossible to know if she chose to delete it or Instagram removed it.

Artur Dalaloyan is appearing on topical discussion show to discuss the sanctions on Russian athletes. I don’t usually watch Russian stations but I will be interested to hear what he is able to say. He has been outspoken about some things previously, like the ridiculous events surrounding the Averina sisters after Toyko

Last edited:
Reactions: JDB
I don’t usually watch Russian stations but I will be interested to hear what he is able to say.
Able to say is the right way of putting it indeed. For that reason I’m not getting my hopes up, though I do believe he’s a lot smarter than Nikita. I have that feeling about Melnikova as well. She’s still using instagram by the way

I don’t know. They certainly never deleted Russian accounts like everyone thought they would. My local Starbucks hasn’t closed either.

I don’t think Instagram were deleting Russian accounts. I just heard that the Russian govt blocked access to the domain name and the app. But I guess they let it back on.

Lots of Russian gymnasts have now switched to Telegram which I think is like built in VPN or something?

Last edited:
My local Starbucks hasn’t closed either.
I just remembered Doug1233 yowling about Starbucks being deemed an essential service that could stay open during covid lockdowns. Well, apparently even Putin agrees with that assessment. 🤣

Last edited:
It wasn’t that Putin has allowed them to stay open, but Starbucks announced they’d be suspending operations in Russia. What they didn’t mention was that they only own a small number of flag ship locations here, the vast majority are franchised to a Russian operator and the licence has not been suspended.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back