Rebekah Ripley - Barbie Girl Floor Routine - BYU Gymnastics - January 7, 2023

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Also children don’t know what “Barbie Girl” is about.
Thank You!
That’s like getting up in arms for the song " Who Let the Dogs Out" being in Rugrats in Paris: The Movie. Children take things at face value and just think they are both cute songs. They were singing it day and night, night and day.
It amazes me that this has gone off on such a tangent.

Last edited:
There is a huge difference between risqué lyrics and double entendres that go straight over kids heads and the physical display of sexualisation seen in many NCAA floor routines.

Between that and the laughable scoring, NCAA gymnastics needs to decide if it’s a sport, or just an extension of TikTok

NCAA gymnastics needs to decide if it’s a sport, or just an extension of TikTok
I find that to be similar to the opinion that rhythmic needs to decide if it’s a sport or theater.

Reactions: Dex
That’s something that a lot of judged sports face.

Rhythmic has particular issues due to it being a female only support and having such a small reach that it’s completely dominated culturally by ex soviet nations. 65% of FIG brevets were born in the Soviet Union. Even amongst the rhythmic community, there is a saying it is figure skating but with the blades hidden. I grew up in rhythmic and I love watching it, but even I don’t think it has a place at the Olympics. I’d much rather see acrobatics.

People have had a strange love for that song ever since it was released. I had teammates who were obsessed with Barbie Girl in the early to mid 00s and I never understood why.

As a song, its just a lot of fun. An exceptionally well-crafted pop song. Its very mid-90s Scandinavian pop, and I mean that in the best way possible. I wouldn’t pick it as floor music, but I’m also not ashamed to sing along at the top of my lungs if it comes on the radio.

It’s just a bit much for me. I like fun music as much as the next person, but not if it’s annoying after I’ve heard it more than twice.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with the song. The song is fine. However, I don’t consider the song to be FX material. For FX that song isn’t the best.

José M.

I’ll be honest, i liked this barbie routine more than the beauty queen one the gymnast from lsu(?) does. I like people doing robot moves more than putting on a crown and waving to the crowd as choreography. But, different strokes.

I’ll be honest, i liked this barbie routine more than the beauty queen one the gymnast from lsu(?) does. I like people doing robot moves more than putting on a crown and waving to the crowd as choreography. But, different strokes.
Do you mean Auburn’s Derrian Gobourne? I hate that routine with an undying passion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dex
I hate that routine. The use of another country’s national anthem in this way is quite distasteful. Also really stupid, because the British national anthem is actually called God Save The [gender specific Monarch]

Last edited:
I cant believe how much commentary this routine has generated. And ya, Derrian’s routine is not a fave. I agree, the putting the crown thing on, I am so over. I am also not a fan of the Georgia Friends routine, I think she also does a middle school wave at the end.

There is some level of audacity and narcissism involved when you call yourself THE QUEEN, as if you are above everyone else.

The choreography of putting a crown on one’s head, answering a phone call, and applying make up is tired and in desperate need of change.

Gobourne’s floor is not the only culprit.

Seriously, it’s just a performance it says nothing about her personality type, No more than the Barbie girl routine. That is some reaching .

Seriously, it’s just a performance it says nothing about her personality type
It’s not just about her floor music or choreography, she literally called herself the queen in her 5th year announcement. “The queen is back!”

I don’t care about them using the anthem, but it does seem a tad daft to pick something relating to a queen who was quite obviously on her last legs and that could stop having the applicable meaning at any second.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back