Rebekah Ripley - Barbie Girl Floor Routine - BYU Gymnastics - January 7, 2023

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Ok then maybe we should just take her out and shoot her .
Not sure why you are taking it to extremes.
No one has come anywhere near that overboard.

Critiquing a decision made is relevant in this scenario. Calling herself the queen (on a team of other college athletes), using the British anthem, and as AR stated Elizabeth was in poor health at the time, comes across as self-involved and self-important. Clearly there was no thought about how it could be negatively perceived, or perhaps there were thoughts but she just doesn’t care.

No one knew the Queen was in poor health, 2 days prior to her death she was pictured welcoming the new prime minister. Her health issues weren’t common knowledge, don’t change the narrative to make your case it’s inaccurate and misleading .

No one knew the Queen was in poor health, 2 days prior to her death she was pictured welcoming the new prime minister. Her health issues weren’t common knowledge, don’t change the narrative to make your case it’s inaccurate and misleading .
And yet, Auburn’s first gymnastics meet was January 7, 2023.

Three months after Elizabeth II passed.

Plenty of time to reflect and think, “maybe I shouldn’t do this” and change it.

We had a pretty good idea!

Her public appearances had reduced in the period prior to her death and there’d been various cancellations and paring back. There was loads of speculation, rumours and the like. Private Eye used to allude to it, for example. I knew from reading it that she wasn’t going to be able to do much for the platinum jubilee and why. People commented on the reasons for her making remote addresses rather than in person. Plus the woman was 96. Even with the streak of immortality running through that family, people knew it was coming.

None of this is to say she should’ve changed it, btw. It’s a bit of a silly routine but I don’t care.

eta- also, the fact that she was welcoming Truss at Balmoral not in London was interpreted as a sign of ill health in itself. She was out of the way up there for a while before she died.

Last edited:
I don’t care for Derrian’s routine either, but I don’t like, super hate it. A year or two ago, I was still on board thinking it was funny and sardonic, but now the joke has really run cold and I find myself wondering if that’s who she really is. I thought she was being ironic and now I’m left wondering if she is just really self-involved.

I also find her gymnastics less interesting than when she was a freshman. Didn’t she used to do a full in? Remember her dynamic bars routine when she mounted over the low bar and did an immediate kch half with the release into the transition?? I love that she’s proud of herself but I hate to see her overstay. I’m a mixed bag on her. But I also don’t really care to sour my opinion over her, we all did dumb things at that age.

Why were her whole family not at her bedside ?

Why were her whole family not at her bedside ?
I’ve got King Charles on speed dial. Hold on a few minutes while I ring him up and demand an explanation. However, for weeks she had been unable to travel, cancelling appearances etc. The entire world (at least those who read newspapers or listen to cable news) was aware that her health was in serious decline.

A simple Google search will tell you that is incorrect.

Yeah, let’s stick to discussing which NCAA floor routines were find most ridiculous (however you wish to define that).

Perhaps we should look at all of the official appearances they cancelled to rush there to answer that question

Edit- I’m American and I was quite aware that there were concerns about the Queen’s health for a number of months

Last edited:
I didn’t know. I don’t follow or pay attention to those things.

I don’t love Maile O’Keefe’s beam choreography. I understand it is meaningful and stuff but that doesn’t make it good.

I also think Georgia can retire the moonwalk. It’s fine, it’s been done, it isn’t some incredible move that must always be there. They can revive it in 20 years like a broadway musical.

/feelin’ salty

THE NINETIES SHIT HAS TO DIE*

*not opposed to velour leotards making a comeback

This just all reminds me I have a week left to learn to play Barbie Girl on the flutophone. I better get on that.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back