Pre-Olympics Discussion (Injured athletes, named teams, other news) starting 5/9/24

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Are these official training sessions? I though alternates had to train at a separate location.

They haven’t entered the Olympic Village yet. Once the main team moves into the Village they will be separated.

Most teams who are arriving this early are staying and training at accommodations outside the official Olympic ones while they acclimate.

Are these official training sessions? I though alternates had to train at a separate location.
No. They’ll be at a gymnastics club in France. Hence all the random spectators. Once the teams enter the village, the alternates will remain at that gym until the games start. Depending on the proximity of their hotel to the Olympic venue, they might stay there or they might move to a closer hotel on the day of prelims, since the can’t be used after that point so don’t need to keep training. Plus they are given tickets for prelims and team finals

I never saw a heat pump until I moved to the south. Up north it gets too cold for too long in the winter, so separate a/c and furnace units are far more common.

in fact, I lived so far north at one point, we just didn't have a/c at all. Made that one week every summer where it hit 90 rather unpleasant, but at least it was only a week. And since l lived on Lake Superior, it was an excuse to hang out on the lake all day.
We had a heat pump in PA. Mostly worked well, except if we had -20 weather.

IIRC (its been 27 years now!) Skitch named it OutOfBoundsNess in honor of Vanessa Atler, when she stepped out of bounds at the 97 American Cup finals, which ended up costing her the AA title.

Crazy that other than her 1997 AA tie at Nationals, Atler never won another major AA title.

I think I need to rewatch the 1997 American Cup now!
Vanessa Atler won the AA at the 1998 Australia Cup, not a major event but an international comp.
She beat Yulia Korostelyova, Zeena McLaughlin, Sara Moro, Laura Martinez, Allana Slater, Nina Kartseva. Vanessa was a crowd favourite. Also hit her UB routine and stuck dismount.

@Matilda23 do you know if there is any video of this Australian meet? I would like to watch it.
It was televised on Australian TV, with coverage of both AA and event finals. Don’t think anyone has posted the full coverage to YouTube, but the link to YouTube video posted above is from that coverage, with Liz Chetkovich commentating.

Edit: “crushedvelvetleo” on YouTube has coverage

The first workouts in the official training halls have begun.

Brazil
IMG_1348.jpeg

Has her block on the Cheng deteriorated? I know it was never good but this is 🫣

Hopefully they'll use the Amanar in TF.

Hehe.

But it does look like the last couple of TF spots are quite open. Australia losing Godwin was huge for them, and obviously Japan have, well, you know. I think any team in the bottom 4 qualifiers from worlds could, with a good day in prelims, reasonably hope to be top 8.

The exercises of Nina Derwael and Maelysse Brassart are available on instagram: wearegym

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back