Teams are starting to come in for 2022 World Championship in Liverpool, England

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Perhaps. I’ve been to competitions in the past that weren’t as strict as they appeared. Hopefully its just an attempt to reduce the workload for security staff. Thankfully they are at least allowing empty water bottles. In Stuttgart we had to smuggle in rollable plastic pouch vessels.

I know it seems wild to be competing at nearly 11 PM but trust me skating gets even more out of control in these open entry competitions. Last year once competition ran until 1:30 AM. This year Armenia’s Grand Prix event was cancelled so for the last 3 weeks every week the junior women’s free skate ended at 11PM. And that’s seeded by rank so the top skaters, if they were unfortunate to get those assignments, had to skate after 10 pm in both of their competitions. For gymnasts, this is just a one-day thing. Skaters are always competing well into bedtime during the Grand Prix and Challenger Series.

The late start on day one is partly because MAG podium training is squished into the rest of the day. They also have to change the equipment over.

The selection of Iorio is unexpected. She didn’t compete at the Italian Championships last week, and as far as I can tell hasn’t competed at all since March unless there’s been another trial this weekend. Making it even stranger is that the club of another gymnast, Caterina Cereghetti, had apparently announced that she was the alternate, and the nominative registration was updated to include Cereghetti after Andreoli withdrew.
I bet they wanted another beam worker as Mandriota and Esposito aren’t it and neither are likely to do much for the team. Also D’Amato isn’t Ms. Consistency on beam either.
Iorio made bars finals in 2021 and was a reserve on beam, so if she is capable if that I see her going UB/BB with Esposito or Mandriota doing VT/FX.
Maggio, D’Amato, and Villa are likely AAers.

It’s even worse when you consider that for Sunday’s competition, the clocks will just have been turned back so 11pm will feel like midnight.

At least it’s an hours extra sleep Saturday night. However I’m staying with a group of gymfans and we’ve been zooming for >4 hours every Saturday since March 2020. I don’t expect to get much sleep with us all finally being in the same room 😁

Last edited:
Wow, no food allowed is absolutely crazy! I haven’t been to a meet in a few years (I think the last one I was at was Europeans in 2018) but I have never heard of an arena having that rule.

they dont have concession stands?
They do which is why not outside food allowed, they want people to buy the concessions.
From what I understand 2021 Worlds there was no food allowed in and the concessions were sparse.

They did this for 2010 and 2013 US Nationals in Hartford as well. I had a water bottle that was confiscated at the entrance.

No outside food or drink is standard in the US. Most baseball stadiums will allow you to bring in either a sealed water bottle or empty refillable water bottle–an attempt to keep people from passing out from dehydration and heat stroke in 100 degree heat because they won’t pay $4 per bottle of water. But no indoor arena I’ve been to allows any food or drink.

I haven’t been since the pandemic, but Camden Yards (baseball) in Baltimore was an exception. You could bring an entire 5 course dinner in. They had people right outside the stadium selling all sorts of food and drinks. I loved that.

Not sure if it is still going, but Peacock had a deal that was 19.99 for the whole year.

Edit: looks like it might still be available.

Last edited:
these rules are often touted for the British but you have always been able to take in a picnic bag with food. The Arena food is awful. They usually have cages you can lock cases into for people travelling.
Due to the time we aren’t staying for the 3rd Qualification. Finishing at 11pm and then driving 3 hours home and being at work for 9 am the next morning is a no. I would consider myself a die hard gymnastics fan. But we are missing GB due to the terrible timing.
The facebook groups and forums are full of people selling their tickets because they can’t make it work. This week is half term. This would have made it accessible to so many families.
The team final is even worse starts at 6. Napoli are playing Liverpool at 8pm less than a mile from the Worlds arena. The whole city will be flooded with football fans. Transport will be hideous.

Whoever organises these things hasn’t done a very good job.

You can bet the food concession stand prices will be outrageous as well.
Most places do allow sealed water bottles in, and anywhere with a bar is obliged to provide free water on request anyway. It’s pretty shocking people can’t even bring water in.

Last edited:
Empty water bottles are ok and I think they have water fountains.

Still don’t have tickets with three days to go 😬

Very 😬

Our group ordered in the March 2021 pre-sale so bizarrely we’ve had tickets for the mid-quad worlds since before the Olympic year Euros.

Yes… so that’s an hour more sleep. Provided you fall asleep before the clocks go back of course. If you fall asleep at 11pm Saturday and wake up at 8am Sunday, you’ve had 10 hours sleep, not 9 hours. In spring, when the clocks go forward, you’d have had 8 hours sleep.

I do wonder whether that’ll stand, the last sporting event I went to was football Euros this year which said similar and we still got food and water in. Mind you, the scanner is a new one on me.

Anyway, as a matter of principle I’m going to secrete protein bars or similar about my person. See if I can hide them in my hair maybe. Perhaps someone can have a go at apple slice earrings.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back