Pre-Olympics Discussion (Injured athletes, named teams, other news) starting 5/9/24

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I've never been to France so this is a genuine question: are heat pumps uncommon in Paris? I like the sustainability focus, but the lack of mini split air conditioning for Olympic athletes is odd. I also don't see ceiling fans in this article.

I wouldn’t sleep or compete anywhere if there was no ac and the temps were in the 90s. My summer school class has no ac and the fan does nothing. Sweat pouring down my body at 9am while just sitting isn’t healthy. I had parents complaining bc their kids have disabilities so we got a room with ac.

I've never been to France so this is a genuine question: are heat pumps uncommon in Paris? I like the sustainability focus, but the lack of mini split air conditioning for Olympic athletes is odd. I also don't see ceiling fans in this article.

Air conditioning is not the thing in France that it is in the U.S. Most people do not have them in their homes. The better hotels of course all have them. And yes, it does get very hot in Paris in summer.

When I lived in London, the local council (Kensington and Chelsea) had by-laws that meant you couldn’t place any air conditioning units or satellite dishes that were visible from street level

Parisians when they discover heat pumps.

boris_yeltsin_grocery_store.jpg

I never saw a heat pump until I moved to the south. Up north it gets too cold for too long in the winter, so separate a/c and furnace units are far more common.

in fact, I lived so far north at one point, we just didn't have a/c at all. Made that one week every summer where it hit 90 rather unpleasant, but at least it was only a week. And since l lived on Lake Superior, it was an excuse to hang out on the lake all day.

Britons when they visit other European countries and see the booming popularity of heat pumps.

boris_yeltsin_grocery_store.jpg

I used to work in the home energy industry and have seen the stats. Adoption rates varies by country though, with Scandinavia leading the way.

To stay on topic, a mini split heat pump and ceiling fan is such an obvious solution for Olympic athlete housing. So I'm judging the planning committee for installing neither.

Britons when they visit other European countries and see the booming popularity of heat pumps.

View attachment 10664

I used to work in the home energy industry and have seen the stats. Adoption rates varies by country though, with Scandinavia leading the way.

To stay on topic, a mini split heat pump and ceiling fan is such an obvious solution for Olympic athlete housing. So I'm judging the planning committee for installing neither.
There's been quite a lot of talk about them here over the last few years, I think because the large majority of the UK is houses rather than flats, but I must admit I've never actually seen one in real life! And was today years old when I found out they could be used for air con as well as heating. Not that I'd get much use out of that aspect of it if we had one.

Reactions: JDB
Named for Vanessa Atler (Ness).
IIRC (its been 27 years now!) Skitch named it OutOfBoundsNess in honor of Vanessa Atler, when she stepped out of bounds at the 97 American Cup finals, which ended up costing her the AA title.

Crazy that other than her 1997 AA tie at Nationals, Atler never won another major AA title.

I think I need to rewatch the 1997 American Cup now!

I never saw a heat pump until I moved to the south. Up north it gets too cold for too long in the winter, so separate a/c and furnace units are far more common.

in fact, I lived so far north at one point, we just didn't have a/c at all. Made that one week every summer where it hit 90 rather unpleasant, but at least it was only a week. And since l lived on Lake Superior, it was an excuse to hang out on the lake all day.
I had a heat pump when I lived in the Midwest. It was one of the more efficient ones from the years where there was a tax credit for choosing one. It made it through the polar vortexes we had some years (I think -35 at one point) just fine, and my power bills weren't that high, in fact they dropped from when I had AC + a furnace.
I got heat stroke the year before we installed it when the old AC unit went out and I foolishly mowed my lawn in hot weather and couldn't cool off. I've lived in an apartment without AC since then and it crippled me during hot weeks. I'd wear ice packs all over my body and still struggle to feel okay.

Heat pumps aren’t a thing in Europe because they aren’t usually suitable for apartment buildings. For retrofitting anyway

Depends where you live in Europe. In Scandi heat pumps and geothermal heating systems are very common in private homes - my neighbour recently retrofitted one to a wooden farmhouse from the 1880s.

Apartments tend to be heated in different ways often by remote heating and often as the by product of other industries - a nearby town heats thousands of apartments using water heated by the waste incineration plant, another uses waste from forestry/sawmills.

Arrived and getting ready to practice.

IMG_1336.png

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back