Our Commentary on the Commentary!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

My favorite Laurie comment today was for a ROMANIAN BARS routine.
"I don't think that will make bars finals".

DUH, its Romania BARS!!!!
I did not care for her commentary on Jade's "artistry" or lack thereof. It seemed unnecessarily negative.

I did not care for her commentary on Jade's "artistry" or lack thereof. It seemed unnecessarily negative.
Her explanation of the artistry rules proved that she has not read them. I have no idea how she got this job. There are plenty more famous gymnasts who can speak intelligently about the sport and not be constantly throwing up their hands and being like "I'm so curious to see what the score will be!" as if they have never watched a single competition before and are in fact encountering the discipline for the very first time.

New proposal: replace Laurie with Snoop Dogg. He wouldn’t know what he was talking about but at least he’d be enthusiastic.

He's done MMA commentary before so he's... sure experienced.

New proposal: replace Laurie with Snoop Dogg. He wouldn’t know what he was talking about but at least he’d be enthusiastic.
I was actually thinking this while she was commentating. He wouldn't be knowledgeable (but neither is she) and at least it would be entertaining

I hated how Laurie wanted to give a ribbon to every gymnast that didn’t fall, even when there were other significant mistakes that she glossed over.

We had Rafael martinez in the Spanish Channel, he was pretty good, very very knowledgeable, I don't know whether he'll capture the occasional viewer but it's a welcome change to have someone not randomly blurt out a number between one and three when they see a twisting pass (that'd be paloma)

I've only watched the Discovery streams, so have had no commentary so far. But I'd like to take a moment to complain about how the cameras zoomed in on Simone's feet yesterday when the US were warming up, instead of showing us what Jade was doing.

NBC posted a reel of Snoop commentating on Badminton and this just reaffirms my desire to have him replace Laurie

( ETA clearly I don’t know how to imbed things properly but if you click on the link it goes to the right place)

How great would he be? “she goes up, and then down, and then up over there, and then way up into the sky!!”

My husband's birthday was yesterday and so I had to watch some of the gymnastics on replay today--
I just finished watching Brazil (oh, that was Subdivision 5? There were gymnasts other than Brazil in it? :P)
Did Laurie really just sing "That's going to get a good score" to the tune of "neener neener neener?" I swear the more comfortable she gets with casting, the worse it gets.

This is the thread I needed to cleanse my pallet. Thank you all.

It helps that Justin was elite and NCAA athlete, then coach. So he is going to know all the technical components. I believe he has a judging credential as well.
He was used to constructing routines with his athletes.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back