Our Commentary on the Commentary!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I find myself frequently wishing she'd add specifics. For Flavia's floor, for instance, she said, "There are several small deductions that are less visible to the naked eye," and I was like, "So, give examples?" I could see what they were, I assume Laurie could see them because she mentioned them (which frankly is better than "they'll find five tenths from somewhere but we don't know where"), so why not point some out? Respect the fans enough to do so.

I did also find myself wondering how much NBC has boxed them in from being able to really do a decent job. They've said in the past that they want to build narrative and create stories, but all I see them trying to do is create superstars. If they wanted narrative there were a ton of options they just didn't even touch on, with so many routines they didn't show. Starting from the bottom and working up, Japan making it to team finals with four members who performed AA well, Romania in team finals for the first time since London, the battle for bronze and silver in which five teams (China, Canada, GB, Brazil, Italy) all had a shot into the last rotation and a half or so. I get that the US was basically going to win barring disaster, but there was competition that we just ignored below them. NBC is lucky Italy and Brazil medalled because they sure as heck ignored the existence of the other teams for most of it. We saw three dismounts and one routine from GB? One vault from Canada? I think two full routines from China and then clips of falls? And nothing of the other teams, it was bad. How do you make a narrative of that? And did NBC make the decision to show mostly only France the other day in qualifications? No wonder the commentary and mood got abysmal. They need to let sport happen instead of creating a narrative ahead of time and pushing it. Sport is not scripted, they need to stop trying to script it.
/ends rant

Last edited:
Tanith Belbin. (though, of course, her knowledge of gymnastics is studied but she does study.) But Tanith and KJC would could be a dream team.
Tanith did Gym once or twice. She was great.

Laurie is getting a ton of praise on social media. I’ve seen multiple people mention how delightful her voice is. Or that it feels like watching with a friend. Others love her positivity and getting emotional in moments. She’s not for us, for sure, but there’s an audience out there that loves that style.

I TOLD you all that the four year fans would love Laurie.

they will go away very soon and we’ll still be with laurie. 😫
I need the ability to insert two emojis in response, definitely more of the latter. The international feed was good although one of them kept getting things wrong. At least she would correct it. I don't think I can take more Laurie...

I need the ability to insert two emojis in response, definitely more of the latter. The international feed was good although one of them kept getting things wrong. At least she would correct it. I don't think I can take more Laurie...
They should film a reality tv show where people (gymnasts and not) compete to be the NBC sportscaster. Don't let the public vote. it could be a Peacock Original.

Laurie is getting a ton of praise on social media. I’ve seen multiple people mention how delightful her voice is. Or that it feels like watching with a friend. Others love her positivity and getting emotional in moments. She’s not for us, for sure, but there’s an audience out there that loves that style.
Yep, I've seen it. A friend also told me they love Laurie.

They should film a reality tv show where people (gymnasts and not) compete to be the NBC sportscaster. Don't let the public vote. it could be a Peacock Original.
They should! Would be interesting to find out too like what the general public knows about sports haha

I remember during Tokyo it was Bridget Sloan paired with John Roethlisberger, they did a good job. There was a fair bit of criticizing of the judging from them, I wonder if that more critical approach unfortunately lead to wanting Laurie instead. She could be good at the role, but it doesn't seem like any effort will be made to change her current approach, since apparently most people like it

This might be the most shockingly accurate description of Laurie's commentary from a non-gymnastics board I've ever seen.
1000003288.png

Very glad to not have experience the US commentary based on the comments.

The World feed commentary was pretty decent. I saw a few people complaining about Liz and wanting Olly instead but I thought she was fine. They were good at pointing out deductions in routines or iffy moments which I appreciate. I hate when commentators like every routine is perfect instead pointing out things that will impact scores.

This might be the most shockingly accurate description of Laurie's commentary from a non-gymnastics board I've ever seen.
View attachment 10867
That really expresses exactly what annoys me about Laurie! I was reading general Olympic quick hits and they had a quote from her from the broadcast about how you can tell a gymnast is nervous if her ankles wobble when she's on her "tippy toes" which like 1) really? tippy toes? are you talking to a 4 year old? You can't say "releve" or "on toe" or any other normal way of saying that? and 2) she makes that comment like 5 times a broadcast, I can't be the only person that's tired of hearing it.

Her autobiography reads the same way. It is the same length and came out within the same year as Biles and Raisman's books. Yet their books are both written to adults and Laurie's is written to 2nd graders.

All of this really is tough because I really want to start doing commentary.

I always thought "it's not possible because I was not an Olympic gymnast" (or even a GOOD gymnast).

Only kind of related... What is the background of the commentator Blythe on the international feed?

I always thought "it's not possible because I was not an Olympic gymnast" (or even a GOOD gymnast).

Only kind of related... What is the background of the commentator Blythe on the international feed?
@Denn you MUST. PLEASE!

These days it feels like you can start a podcast, get fans, attract the attention of the mainstream and segue into a career.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back