Olympic games Leotards

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

lspatterson

olympic-fashion

If anyone hasn’t started a topic on this. (if someone has you may remove it.)

This is where all the countries leotards go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d like it without the keyhole, but most of my truly supportive sports bras would show through that. Unless France is also issuing correctly supportive bras designed to not show with this leo design, it’s a no from me–any leotard that forces the athlete to choose between the correct bra and not getting a deduction/having the embarrassment of undergarments ‘ruining the design’ is a no from me.

If they are, like GB, providing the athletes with custom-made bras designed to meet their needs and not show, that’s awesome.

That keyhole front is too big. Could have gone smaller and still gotten the same effect.

Open back leos have been banned by FIG. USAG followed suit. I’ll see if I can find the regulations when I’m on my computer at work (on my phone right now and its harder to search).

So far this what Team USA might be. Plus the 2 that was used during the trials.

Although I don’t “love” all of the GB leos - I am an oldie who hankers after the Soviet Adidas leos of the 1970s. I like the 2 furthest left the most. I also like the fact that they look like sportswear and not showgirl costumes (I hated the GAGE Princess Jasmine bikinis or burlesque leos at nationals). In fact the GB navy blue leo looks similar to GB running strips.

The French leos would be nicer without or with a smaller keyhole.

I agree. Without the keyhole (or with a smaller keyhole) the French leo would be tasteful and athletic (in my opinion).

Are the clear-back bras supportive? I’ve seen tthe strap in ncaa and even Amazon sells versions.

It depends on the individual. Something like this:

Might be comfortable for people who aren’t particularly large chested, but won’t be nearly enough support for someone with a larger chest. They’ll want something more like this:

It has a lot more structure, it will be more fitted, the high neckline allows them to better hold each breast in place (it would be sculpted on the inside to hold each breast in place, instead of just squashing them down like a compression sports bra), and the thicker straps provide more support–weight distribution really matters, and it matters more the larger the breasts are. A lot of these kinds of bras will be even higher cut (like the ones here: https://www.fabletics.com/womens/sports-bras/high-impact). Many athletes prefer the T-shape or X-shape of the straps instead of the typical straps that just come over the shoulder because they come between the shoulder blades and won’t move around as much or limit movement, but that creates even more issues with open backed leotards. My club has a quite modest cut, but it wouldn’t have worked with my preferred bra design if NAIGC hadn’t decided to allow visible sports bras (as long as they color match the leo).

ETA: Also, thick plastic straps, especially when you’re sweaty, get really uncomfortable and start chaffing fast.Thinner is better there, but then you’re back to the support issue. Thick plastic straps are also a lot more obvious than thin ones.

Last edited:
This is from USAG’s WAG Rules & Policies (2020-2021). I believe this language is the same as FIG:
A deduction for “inappropriate” attire will be applied for any infraction.

a. No bare midriffs, backless leotards, leotards with “spaghetti” straps, T-shirts or Boxer shorts.
• EFFECTIVE AUGUST 1, 2021: Unless the open area is filled with mesh or flesh-colored fabric, a leotard is considered backless when the open area visually extends:
o lower than 2 inches (approximately) below the bottom of the scapula (shoulder blade)
o wider than the vertical midpoint of the scapula.

b. NO underwear (including sport bras) should be exposed.
• A clear bra strap is acceptable.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back