NBC Broadcast Criticism/Conversation

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I actually prefer Sam to Nastia, so that was good news to me. I like John R. but also I’m a pretty big Tim fan. Tim’s knowledge of the sport and the knowledge he has of the gymnasts of themselves is very valuable to his commentary.

Plus you hear gymnasts talking very highly of Tim and his character, so that scores some points in my book.

Not a fan of Laurie. She was cute as a button in Tokyo but her comments were not necessarily commentary, just her own reactions to what was happening.

Laurie would probanly be fine as the interviewer/on-ths-floor reporter. Id rather have her than Andrea any day.

Tim got way better once Trautwig was gone.
I think Tim was not a fan of Al.
Al made everything worse. Tour de France? Worse with Al. Olympic cross country skiing? Worse with Al.
Ok so i just blindly jumped into this thread and was reading these posts not as al, but as capital ai, thus artificial intelligence. It got very confusing very fast for a moment there.

Last edited:
2979_2.png
irichluck21:
Tim got way better once Trautwig was gone.
I think Tim was not a fan of Al.
Al made everything worse. Tour de France? Worse with Al. Olympic cross country skiing? Worse with Al.
Ok so i just blindly jumped into this thread and was reading these posts not as al, but as capital ai, thus artificial intelligence. It got very confusing very fast for a moment there.
LOL. I’d take an AI bot commentator over Trautwig any day of the week.

Troutwig was gross. Every word was cheesy or slimy. Any team is better without him.
I always said he was searching for his “Al Michaels Moment” and clearly didn’t give a shit about the sport or the athletes except as a possible chance to get his “do you believe in miracles” quote.

Every sportscaster wants their own “Do you believe in miracles?” moment. Some are just better at hiding it than others. The really smart ones know the miracle call can’t be topped and don’t try to force it.

It’s like when the USA won gold in the 2012 TF and Al shouted something like “get the gold medal, Freddie!” Freddie was my grandpa but otherwise I have no clue who he was talking to

I mainly remember Trautwig being very weird about Simone’s parents and insisting on calling them her grandparents. They legally adopted her and she’s lived with them since she was a toddler; for all intents and purposes, they’re her parents.

Yeah that was one of his cringe moments for sure. I remember he said something like “she calls them mom and dad but they are NOT her parents”.

Another one was his obsession with Jake Dalton’s body and biceps.

I remember that he made me root for Nastia in 2008 because he declared her too old to make the team and questioned whether it was even a realistic aim at the advanced age of … gasp … 18 :roll_eyes:

I also remember him just talking through a bb routine of a Chinese gymnast - at a Scam Cup I think - about his favourite Chinese food

The skeeviest Al moment to me was when the camera was on Nastia stretching out in the sidelines in Beijing and he started commenting on her body in an obviously unscripted way in an inappropriate tone. You could hear how incredibly uncomfortable Tim was as he tried to steer them back to actual commentary on the competition.

Last edited:
Ugh I remember literally gagging when this happened. So far beyond the line.

General sports commentators don’t appear to get performance reviews. A lot of them have long careers of terrible commentary. Al Trautwig is not unique.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back