Kara Eaker, from University of Utah to ?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Their own investigation cleared him though…
Though it’s process of clearing him was odd. A whole lot of “if this could be corroborated it would break guidelines, but it’s only one person saying it with no witness and so we are treating it like it didn’t happen.”

I kept wondering how many uncorroborated events you need before the sheer number of them starts to corroborate the fact that many people are reporting similar things. And it sounds like he liked to say awful things in private judging from Kara’s report.

Yea. They can’t say they were wrong or that they are bowing to public disagreement with their actions so they made a new reason.

Cleared him or we know we just can’t get him for it?
I get the feeling they could have got him if they had wanted to. If they had listened to rumours and kept a beady eye I bet they could have encouraged him to resign earlier. All their statements give the impression they are one hundred percent on his side.

I get the feeling they could have got him if they had wanted to. If they had listened to rumours and kept a beady eye I bet they could have encouraged him to resign earlier. All their statements give the impression they are one hundred percent on his side.
I think it’s more that the university is 100% on their own side, and until recently, they viewed Tom more as an asset than as a liability.

Institutions look out for themselves and their own interests first when shit goes down.

I think it’s more that the university is 100% on their own side, and until recently, they viewed Tom more as an asset than as a liability.

Institutions look out for themselves and their own interests first when shit goes down.
This is exactly it - if the university actually cared about this sort of thing, they’d be properly supervising their staff and overseeing daily operations. The folks doing the firing decision are the same folks who allowed this to fester and who are almost certainly not taking adequate action to assess the situation of other teams at the university.

As ever, Tom is functionally if not literally fired (as he should be), the remaining athletes are going to deal with at least a year of relentless scrutiny and in some cases harassment online, and the authority figures get away with it.

the same folks who allowed this to fester…are almost certainly not taking adequate action to assess the situation of other teams at the university.
Damn, I had never considered this, but you’re absolutely right.

Utah has problems.
  1. Lauren McCluskey’s family just received a settlement because of her murder. Family of murdered college athlete Lauren McCluskey settles with University of Utah for $13.5 million - ABC News
  2. Zhifan Dong ‘s family also received a settlement in a similar case: University of Utah to pay settlement in death of international student Zhifan Dong
  1. How the University of Utah’s police department treated female victims and officers for years before Lauren McCluskey’s killing

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpeg
    IMG_0136.jpeg
    564.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Farden’s attorney, Brian C. Johnson, told The Post that his client would “likely take appropriate legal action” against Eaker and Tessen, saying their public statements on social media in the wake of the school’s decision were “false statements of fact.”

Asked whether Farden planned to change his coaching methods, Johnson said he did not. “He has a long history of success as a coach,” he said. “He’ll continue to do so in the fashion he’s done so.”

Shortly after a Post reporter asked a Utah spokesperson about the attorney’s comments, the university placed Farden on administrative leave, citing conduct “not related to student-athlete welfare.”

Damn, seems like Utah did suspend Farden over his comments to the Post.
Well, correlation=/=causation but it is interesting timing. Also, not in academia, but for things related to the school and your job with the school, do you usually retain outside counsel? Seems like if you had a case, letting the university lawyers handle it would be smarter.

Last edited:
Well, correlation=/=causation but it is interesting timing. Also, not in academia, but for things related to the school and your job with the school, do you usually retain outside counsel? Seems like if you had a case, letting the university lawyers handle it would be smarter.
It is not unusual for someone to retain outside counsel on something like this. TF or his attorney is alleging that the injury was done to him. the individual and not the university or institution. Now the university in theory could also claim some “harm” was done to them but given the 1st amendment scrutiny that is happening on college campuses, it would be very unusual for a university to go after a single person. Its a difficult case but I think the legal grounds are valid, even if socially it looks bad. Its kinda a he said/she said thing. Technically, making such strong public statements against him can (already has) ruiined his reputation and ability to be employed. Think about the Riley - Haney case.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back