Jessica Gadirova's season-high floor score

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

OK, I can take up to 0.2 deduction. I still believe that she should get no less than 14.4.

José M.

Double Layout: 0.3 landing, probably a flexed foot option that I won’t take (she does flex midway through the second salto but I feel like there needs to be reasonable accommodation too, ya know, get ready to land on your feet lol)
I took all the same deductions as you except two:
  1. She hops maybe a foot on the double layout. Totally a 0.1 deduction, I think.
  2. Slightly crossed legs should be expected on a front-full with an early step out, right? It happens naturally as part of twisting and stepping out at the same time.
I did also deduct more for loss of balance / control on the landing of the Gogean though, and that’s how I got to 8.6.

Crossed legs are definitely a deduction, and I don’t think it’s a necessary technique. Many gymnasts have done them without any cross, several with a step out.

I guess it depends when the cross occurs. If it only occurs during the split of the legs to enter the round off, I probably wouldn’t deduct.

This highlights issues with both the COP and its application as it exists. The DLO hop was larger than her Double Tuck, but was it 0.99 or 1.01 meters? While the COP tries to be objective to a fault in the case of a 0.99 vs. 1.01 meter step (requiring a 300% larger penalty for a ~0.1 meter difference), those giving scores should have expertise and authority to make judgment calls.

Just like YTers who (understandably) wanting to deduct a poorly defined tuck in a Silivas, you want to apply an exception to a form break on a Front 1/1 that doesn’t exist. The leg separation happens too early to ignore, but if it came later, there shouldn’t be anything wrong with 3 judges taking 0.05-0.10 / 3 taking 0.0-0.05; or, on the DLO, 3 taking 0.10 / 3 taking 0.20. Allowing for small differences of opinion leads to a fairer outcome.

The E Panel structure (5-6 judges; avg. of middle = final) exists for this reason. But, we might as well just have 2 E judges with the Chair intervening if they disagree as to whether a deduction is -0.1, -0.3, or -0.5.

Crossed legs are definitely a deduction, and I don’t think it’s a necessary technique. Many gymnasts have done them without any cross, several with a step out.
It’s not “a necessary technique” but it’s “a technique” and it’s not prohibited. You can’t deduct technique you don’t like unless the WTC has made rules about it. (And they have rules for just about everything… but not this.)

Legs crossed in the air on a front full stepout, before opening up into the “stepout” phase, is surely a deduction. There doesn’t need to be a rule specifically about it, that’s already part of the listed deductions. Not having a rule exempting it is the bigger tell.
Double Double: leg separation 0.1, flexed feet 0.1, chest on landing horizontal 0.1, step 0.1
Feet apart on landing for another .1, and she crosses her feet during the first half of the move, which is an additional .1 on top of leg separation in the second half of the move.

Last edited:
Nah, I don’t buy it. There’s nothing about the step-out skill itself that requires her legs to cross this early, before she’s even completed 180 degrees of twisting in her front full. Separating the legs to initiate the step-out is necessary, but not the same as the early crossing, see Simone for comparison here.

That said you’re definitely right about her double layout hop. A full meter is practically a body length for these tiny gymnasts… 😉 I thought a distinction was warranted between her controlled, small, single foot step like on her opening pass versus a pronounced, uncontrolled two foot hop back – but I suppose the code itself makes no such distinction.

My god, I can’t believe all of you are hellbent on deducting a gymnast for stepping out early. Heaven forbid we should allow a gymnast to make a choice of any kind.

So ridiculous. You all should join the WTC. You’d fit right in!

Last edited:
Seeing everyone’s score breakdowns is always so fascinating: we tend to be in the same range but we might take different deductions for different skills due to what we’re looking for or what angle we see something (I.e deducting on back handspring form for the last pass because I couldn’t see the errors on the first two passes due to the camera angle). I had this at 8.3 btw

Kudos to the judges for catching all of this in real time, but I can totally see how their discretion can change everything. I’m in favor of the half tenths breakdown, not a big fan of the .1/.3/.5 breakdowns. I also miss when I could eyeball a routine and still be within a .2 range (I could do this up until 2016). Those days are over lol.

You still can on bars these days, unfortunately. Everything seems to be on an 8.2-7.5 scale, plus major errors.

I also miss when I could eyeball a routine and still be within a .2 range
That’s how the scoring system should be, although replays should be used by judges for accuracy. It’s asinine to not have that. We aren’t in the 1950’s.

It’s also very flawed to have judges assess artistry of routines when they are looking down at their paper. Like, hello, how did the judge see the gymnast’s choreography after an element to determine if it’s good enough, if they are looking down after elements? Routines should be viewed with 100% constant eyeballs while it’s going and then replays used afterward to recheck elements.

If the FIG actually wanted to demonstrate it’s commitment to artistry it would hire actual real life dancers and dance coaches to separately judge and separately publish an artistry score. The E Panel, particularly on beam, currently has too many jobs.

They should also absolutely let the E Panel watch a half speed replay of the vault on their screens. And the D Panel on all events should be able to consult video playback.

Last edited:
How universally are those ‘line’ judges dispatched to just wait around for OOB to happen… that job seems too easy, maybe they can take on artistry too 😉

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back