Injuries, sickness and stuff…

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Doctors are overwhelmed by covid and covid related issues. Basically unless they are in a research facility that specializes in this or are super plugged into the literature and latest research they really do not know much at all.

Heck, even the top experts do not know much at this stage. This is all new.

I had covid in december. very mild case. Then I saw Dr Fauci say that if you had covid do not get the vax for 90 days lest the vaccine produced abs interefere with the covid induced abs. So I made my vax appt for 91 days post recovery.

But he never said that again. I was following this very closely. And every other expert pretty much said “wait 10 days post recovery and then get the vax.”

S o I asked my personal physician who pretty much said “Your guess is as good as mine”

I got the vax immediately.

We are on our own to some degree here but the good news is a handful of doctors are starting to develop some expertise in this stuff. Again, let me know if you do not get anything out of calling the places I sent and I will do more looking. You have the advantage of being in a city with first rate medical and research facilities.

I don’t mind the work it’s just the hours and in particular, I had a lot of clients in a country 12hrs from NYC…. So lots of 8am and 9pm conference calls. Couldnt take it no more!
I think that issues like these are very frequent reasons for people leaving law. The funny thing is my reaction to a 13 hour day was “thats just a normal day. Not even working late” I have been at my desk (home office admittedly) since 6 a.m. And its Sunday. And I really do not work hard anymore.

If you want to be a corporate lawyer in NY – I assume you were at a firm – its just a given. It only works for some people. And it turns into a cost/benefit analysis even for those of us who basically like it alot.

BUT – there are SO many other things you can do. Many in House positions will be less time. (Although be careful here because many of them are also as demanding). Have you considered going in house for a not for profit? The money will not be as good but it will be good enough. And the hours will be totally humane. And you will get to spend your time on things that make the world a better place. Hopefully, anyway.

I feel so cared for! Thank you Jaja. I’ll try on Monday when stuff opens and see how far I get! I’ll keep u posted

Have you considered going in house for a not for profit? The money will not be as good but it will be good enough. And the hours will be totally humane. And you will get to spend your time on things that make the world a better place
Funny you should say that - I’m meeting the GC of a 501c3 law firm next week!

Kinda need my visa situation to get sorted but hopefully once that’s good I’ll be good to go!

The funny thing is my reaction to a 13 hour day was “thats just a normal day. Not even working late” I have been at my desk (home office admittedly) since 6 a.m. And its Sunday
Ha I mean the conference call would start at 9pm. And Chinese conference calls are… lonnnngggg

But I guess it was more my boss. Everything was a mad intense crazy stressful panic. I literally jumped whenever she called me haha. I had to leave but looking back I should have requested to switch teams before I left. The hours would have been more palatable W a nicer partner. But hey - no regrets. Unemployment is incredible aside from the money worries!

Last edited:
I’m surprised Leanne Wong was allowed to travel without being vaccinated. She must be a risk to the rest of the team and staff. I thought Japan would only let in vaccinated adults.

Well, there’s a US swimmer who is on the Olympic team who is not vaccinated, soooo I’m not surprised. At least, Leanne is still a minor. There are also younger athletes in the 13-14 range who I don’t know would be vaccinated or not, like Sky Brown on GB’s skateboarding squad.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is what my friend was saying–nothing horrible, just the general feeling of things not being quite right plus the racing heart and exercise issues.

@ArnoldRimmer That’s interesting that they think they could find older antibodies. I caught something in Nov 2019 that acted an awful lot like COVID- caught from an individual coughing uncovered and badly on public transit. I was short of breath for months, and got the heart flutters and fatigue much like what @Doug1233 describes. I’ve long wondered if it was an early, pre-detection case. Maybe I could find out after all.

Maybe, although I don’t know how accurate they could be on the dating. Afaik with my friend they knew it was 2020 cos it was older than the vaccine which she got in Jan 2021- she is a higher risk group. So I mean yours might show as older than those from the vaccine, if you had it, but not whether it was your 2019 illness or later and asymptomatic.

Yes I find that very interesting as well. The group of gymnerds I was in Stuttgart with all got sick with persistent coughs and other symptoms. My cough lasted ages but never bad enough to see a Dr, others in our airbnb got prescribed steroids/antibiotics but never got a definitive diagnosis. That’s Oct 2019 so earlier than any know cases but we’ve always wondered. As well as worlds there was the huge beer festival next door so there was masses of mixing going on.

I don’t think GB is vaccinating people under 18. So I doubt some of Team GB are vaccinated either.

Under 18s are not part of the general vaccination programme in the UK, but the Pfizer vaccine has been approved for use in 15 and over (could even be younger) and some highly vulnerable in that age group have been able to get it via their GP. It’s possible that team GB doctors have made it available to those Olympians who are under 18.

I was horribly ill in early Feb 2020, with what are now recognized as Covid symptoms. I’ve never been so sick in my life. Lost my sense of taste for weeks. Cough that lasted over a month. Took forever to feel 100%.

Had a covid antibody test in summer 2020 and came back negative. I’ve always been confused by that.

I got J&J vaccine in April.

My husband and I had antibody tests done in London in May 2020. His was negative and mine positive. I’d had a bad bout of pneumonia in early Feb 2020 that had left me in bed for a week. That may have been covid, but no way of knowing.

It’s possible to have had covid but not build up enough antibodies, like people who get chickenpox twice

I’m remember reading something somewhere about patients of an Italian cancer treatment trial that ran from Sept '19 and came to a crashing halt when Covid hit Italy. Anyway part of the trial was weekly bloods and they went back and retested the samples for Covid antibodies and they found some as far back as November '19. I’ll see if I can find the article.

Perhaps this is where vaccination status comes into play. Christine Brennan’s article on U.S. swimmer Michael Andrew states that a vaccinated athlete who is contact traced to a COVID-positive athlete is still able to compete, provided he or she produces a negative test. The article doesn’t address false positives, but we can assume there is more leeway given for vaccinated athletes.

From the managing director of the U.S. swim team:

“They are now taking into consideration vaccination status. They aren’t going to automatically disqualify you if you are contact traced at this point (and have been vaccinated.)”

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back