Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hate-watching is going to be FANTASTIC. Our weekly recap discussion threads will be some of the most important reading you do all week.

So this is a copy of Australia’s SAS show. Olympic diver Melissa Wu just participated in the recent season of that one.

A Moors is silly at this point. A Silivas, a Chuso and a good DLO are all better options. Plus, in this Code she can’t dismount with a Back 3/2 to Front 1/1 anymore without losing another 0.2P, so that hurts her, compositionally.

She can do Moors, Silivas, 1.5 + front full, and Double Tuck. The question is would a Moors score better than a Double Layout for her and be worth the effort to train. Probably not, but no harm in playing around with it.

Might as well do a Chuso for 0.1DV less and much more likely to rotate and land well.

Suni should stick with 3 pass routines. Suggesting she do 4 passes is insane.

A Moors is silly at this point. A Silivas, a Chuso and a good DLO are all better options. Plus, in this Code she can’t dismount with a Back 3/2 to Front 1/1 anymore without losing another 0.2P, so that hurts her, compositionally.
At this moment, she doesn’t really have many options for clean tumbling passes so the .2 isn’t really worth when the execution is always a high risk. Her DLO regressed after 2019 and I don’t think it was that great then either. Not worth doing a double tuck as it’s also not great. She had a double arabian years ago. And IIRC she had a full-out but was always deep in the landing. She could replace a couple of skills in her Tokyo AA routine and get something that she could execute pretty well with a D score that won’t drop her much.

Silivas (H)
Double arabian (E)
Ring leap (C)
Switch ring (C)… Tour jete 1/2 (C)
Mitchell (E)
1.5 (C) FLO 1/1 (C) .1

CR 2.0
CV 0.1 - 2.1
1H 0.8 - 2.9
2E 1.0 - 3.9
5C 1.5 - 5.4

Another option would be bring back the 2.5 twist for the dismount, but when is the last time she did that skill?

I know this is a wild theory, but what if she did the Back 3/2 to Front 1/1 first, immediately followed it up with the Silivas, and then closed out the routine with 70 seconds of glorious dance, a Triple Wolf, a Split Ring to Switch 1/2, and a Switch Ring to Split 1/1.

Am I crazy?

Last edited:
Does the dismount have to come after a certain point in the routine? Or is that no longer the case?

Oh, I don’t know how I feel about that. I haven’t read through the code in its entirety since 2006, but like is there no composition deduction that can be applied for that? Distribution of elements or something?

Has she ever done a front 2/1? That skill has taken so many people out at the wrong time, I wouldn’t just throw that on someone.

is there no composition deduction that can be applied for that? Distribution of elements or something?
There unfortunately isn’t anymore, unless they consider it “Insufficient complexity of movements” or think it doesn’t express the music properly. That’s possible though, and there’s always negative buzz when someone does a 2-pass routine.

I don’t think Suni doing a 5-dance element routine is a good idea in general. She has better acro ability than that, and doesn’t have great dance elements outside of the triple wolf, switch ring, and split leap 1/1. Her double-L has never been good enough to pass the current standard, any kind of turning ring element will be slaughtered, and her switch 1/2 has always looked weird.
But then you get this (1:30):
Or you get this:

She definitely shouldn’t throw away the .2 dismount bonus. The double tuck is now essentially an F element, she can get more out of that than a boring Switch 1/2. She would have won the Olympic AA with her qualifying floor routine if the .2 bonus existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back