Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nastia needs to switch to a summer hair color if she is going to go that tan. And yeah, the squatting cowboy stance…

I don’t understand it.

Is it one piece or is it three or four pieces layered?

Speaking as someone who has been known to sometimes put her head through an arm hole, I can just imagine the tangled mess I’d make of this if I tried to put it on.

The bathing suit is odd and not very flattering. But its her face which I find most disconcerting. She looks mean, tough and hardened; presumably just a bad photograph.

Sugihara Aiko training a triple pike! Probably not likely she’d ever get this to competition, but it’s still cool nonetheless. Very nice set and her digging her way out of the foam to give a salute at the end is adorable.

Really hoping she makes the World team. She deserves a chance. Hopefully she has learned or trained a 2nd vault.
With her DTY and either a FTT or a Lopez she should be able to make finals and possibly even medal because her DTY is that good.

Skinner is facing some Twitter backlash after it came out she is supporting the Anasazi Foundation, which runs a troubled teen wilderness camp. From the reviews it seems like they promise therapy but it appears to be unregulated and cause more harm to the attendees.

I tried to upload the link with the thread from Twitter as it has testimonies from some of the people that attended the camp but it mentions some sensitive topics and I couldn’t figure out how to disable the hyperlink so it wouldn’t immediately display those testimonies. Instead I added the foundations announcement that Skinner would be attending their gala.

I tried to upload the link with the thread from Twitter as it has testimonies from some of the people that attended the camp
To be honest, I don’t believe a word of what’s on Twitter these days. The thirst for throwing people onto the cancel bus just for liking a tweet means it’s just all bullshit for me.

The testimonies aren’t a direct response to Skinner. They have been posted various places over the past few years and someone gathered them together to show how Anasazi Foundation is terrible.

Yes, there are a lot of responses to that thread very critical of Skinner and her decision to associate with Anasazi.

These sorts of “troubled” teen rehabilitation programs are notorious. People have been sounding the alarm about the abuse they suffered for decades now. The Salt Lake Tribune published this overview of teens who died in wilderness programs way back in 2003: https://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/news/ci_7139316

Rolling stone did a piece in 2015: https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...death-in-a-troubled-teen-boot-camp-31639/amp/

There’s plenty more out there if anyone wants to read more about this horrific industry.

And here is the Twitter thread:

But there are also a lot of very positive reviews about this one on line. I do not have any 1st hand information, so I do not know what to believe. But it kind of goes without saying that any kind of treatment center for troubled youth will get a lot of criticism from people who were there. And some of the negative info is pretty old at this point and not about this specific camp. I am not saying it’s a good place. And I know there have been very serious issues with similar places. I just don’t know about this one. Maybe certain extreme forms of treatment help some people but harm others.

Last edited:
Reactions: L_R
I think on the whole it’s an unethical, poorly regulated industry. It probably works pretty well for the kids who are just horrible brats, but I imagine they also receive a bunch of kids who are acting out as a response to abuse/trauma/mental health issues for whom it does more harm.

Nastia is going to be a new reality TV show called Special Forces: The Ultimate Test. The article describes it as “The show sees celebs endure harsh and grueling challenges from the playbook of the actual Special Forces selection process.” Anyone want to guess how long Nastia is going to be able to last?

She survived starving through Marta’s death camps and landing bars dismounts on a busted ankle, I’d imagine she’d last longer than some of the other celebrities who never even did a sport.

I would bet on Nastia outlasting over half of the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back