Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

In the code at the moment each additional half twist in a yurcheko entry gets a .4 increase (4.6 for a 1.5, 5 for a DTY, 5.4 for a 2.5). So if they continued that, it would be a 5.8D.

While I do fear for her poor knees, It is awesome that she is trying to retain her VT title especially knowing that Simone can win with a fall since Laurent isn't spotting anymore

That makes me so scared for her knees. The point at which the video stopped doesn't even look close and as I understand it she doesn't do ANY non-pit landings outside of competition.

Yeah, was she even taking it to a mat or is it going into a pit? If that was stopped at the point she was hitting the ground, it was way short.
I think we should assume it is not around. As others observed, the landing isn’t shown and that has to be intentional.

I also assume it was a pit.

So is it probable that she’s doing an extra half twist in training to improve her Amanar?
She's also said to be training a Cheng with an extra 1/2 twist. I get the feeling she really wants to throw these upgrades at some point , whether that's the Olympics or later on.

I doubt the triple twist will materialize. She has not even done an Amanar reliably throughout her career. She constantly does a double full instead. This is an upgrade too much.

@Laura722 I could have sworn someone in this forum actually said she was training an extra full twist on the Cheng. That, too, will never surface in competition, I would bet.

I doubt the triple twist will materialize. She has not even done an Amanar reliably throughout her career. She constantly does a double full instead. This is an upgrade too much.

@Laura722 I could have sworn someone in this forum actually said she was training an extra full twist on the Cheng. That, too, will never surface in competition, I would bet.
It could be that she finds the backwards landing easier/less likely to trigger injury.

In the code at the moment each additional half twist in a yurcheko entry gets a .4 increase (4.6 for a 1.5, 5 for a DTY, 5.4 for a 2.5). So if they continued that, it would be a 5.8D.

I don't think it's particularly hard to explain why at the apex of difficulty for unprecedented skills, you don't need to simply follow the pattern for lower-difficulty skills. 5.8 is too low. 6.0 would be OK by me. Maybe even 6.2. The men's code has a precedent for all these vaults, and for what it's worth they give a YDP and Yurchenko triple twist the same D score. (That said, I think the novelty of a double-flipping vault in women's warrants the higher rating, while for example the Amanar has been competed for 20+ years now).

In general, I think it's ok to lean towards overrating brand new skills to reward the novelty/boundary pushing, and then pulling back if the skill subsequently becomes overly popular (therefore undermining the theoretical difficulty). But despite the open-ended code, the technical committees (Women's, at least) seem to have a sort of cynical mindset about boundary-breaking difficulty.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back