Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the code at the moment each additional half twist in a yurcheko entry gets a .4 increase (4.6 for a 1.5, 5 for a DTY, 5.4 for a 2.5). So if they continued that, it would be a 5.8D.

While I do fear for her poor knees, It is awesome that she is trying to retain her VT title especially knowing that Simone can win with a fall since Laurent isn't spotting anymore

I'm not sure she can win regardless, but I'd love for it to be named after her

Knowing how protective her team is about her lower limbs, I would be shocked if she throws this unless it is 100% secure. I would assume if she throws it it at all, it would be in EF.

I think it's notable and a little concerning that the video doesn't show the landing. But man is that pretty in the air.
Yeah, was she even taking it to a mat or is it going into a pit? If that was stopped at the point she was hitting the ground, it was way short.

That makes me so scared for her knees. The point at which the video stopped doesn't even look close and as I understand it she doesn't do ANY non-pit landings outside of competition.

Yeah, was she even taking it to a mat or is it going into a pit? If that was stopped at the point she was hitting the ground, it was way short.
I think we should assume it is not around. As others observed, the landing isn’t shown and that has to be intentional.

I also assume it was a pit.

So is it probable that she’s doing an extra half twist in training to improve her Amanar?

So is it probable that she’s doing an extra half twist in training to improve her Amanar?
She's also said to be training a Cheng with an extra 1/2 twist. I get the feeling she really wants to throw these upgrades at some point , whether that's the Olympics or later on.

I doubt the triple twist will materialize. She has not even done an Amanar reliably throughout her career. She constantly does a double full instead. This is an upgrade too much.

@Laura722 I could have sworn someone in this forum actually said she was training an extra full twist on the Cheng. That, too, will never surface in competition, I would bet.

I doubt the triple twist will materialize. She has not even done an Amanar reliably throughout her career. She constantly does a double full instead. This is an upgrade too much.

@Laura722 I could have sworn someone in this forum actually said she was training an extra full twist on the Cheng. That, too, will never surface in competition, I would bet.
It could be that she finds the backwards landing easier/less likely to trigger injury.

In the code at the moment each additional half twist in a yurcheko entry gets a .4 increase (4.6 for a 1.5, 5 for a DTY, 5.4 for a 2.5). So if they continued that, it would be a 5.8D.

I don't think it's particularly hard to explain why at the apex of difficulty for unprecedented skills, you don't need to simply follow the pattern for lower-difficulty skills. 5.8 is too low. 6.0 would be OK by me. Maybe even 6.2. The men's code has a precedent for all these vaults, and for what it's worth they give a YDP and Yurchenko triple twist the same D score. (That said, I think the novelty of a double-flipping vault in women's warrants the higher rating, while for example the Amanar has been competed for 20+ years now).

In general, I think it's ok to lean towards overrating brand new skills to reward the novelty/boundary pushing, and then pulling back if the skill subsequently becomes overly popular (therefore undermining the theoretical difficulty). But despite the open-ended code, the technical committees (Women's, at least) seem to have a sort of cynical mindset about boundary-breaking difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back