Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is funny that the turd is so eager to dis the gymnasts who came after her, but she would have crashed and burned if she had tried to get to the elite level with an earlier code of points. The only reason she had any success was that she took full advantage of difficulty bonus points. If she'd competed under a 10.0 code, she would have been decimated by the judges. I don't even want to think about her doing compulsories. She just wouldn't have had the work ethic to bother learning those "dumbed down" routines.

The older I get, the more sympathetic I get towards Mykayla as a person - not to what she's saying, but the missed opportunity for her and her career to grow up, mature, and learn from others or the mistakes she's made. Especially now that she's not competing. I honestly find myself rooting for her to gain some perspective and grow more humble and aware.

There are so many good examples of gymnasts coming out of rough careers and circumstances and now being strong and eloquent advocates for the sport and for the women and gymnasts that come after them. It would just be better for everyone, including her, if she became one of them, even if it was born out of self-promotion and protecting her reputation and sponsorship opportunities. The relish of watching a trainwreck dies off quickly.

The comments from the gym universe keep coming. She definitely FAFO

IMG_1211.jpeg

Skinner has shown zero evidence of growth. She is as petulant and self-centered as ever. She believes she is better than she was, and any loss or low score or missed team she suffered was an unjust grievance.

I can get on board with not wanting to watch a train wreck, but the ship has sailed for me to route for her to change. I don’t want to hear her whining anymore. Simone’s comment of “not everyone needs a mic and platform” was perfect, and much classier than Skinner deserved.

As of now, she isn't going to change because there's no incentive to do so. There have been no real consequences to her tantrums and nastiness. This is the first time where her comments have received a lot of attention to the point that past gymnasts and icons in the sport are weighing in how erroneous and mean-spirited her comments are. And all that's happened is she gave the standard non-apology, took down her videos as if nobody would have had it saved, and gone radio silent. And again, it's because her immediate circle is filled with people who encourage her behavior.

Well given that she has accused this year's Olympians of having a poor work ethic - that is Simone, Suni, Jade, and Jordan who also competed with her at the last Olympics ... I guess it is not surprising.

I also think that under the Karolyi regime people looked fantastic at trials but were often injured or overtrained by the actual competition - 2000, 2004 and 2008
In 2012 Jordan was in a boot and Maroney also had a problem with her toe or shin that someone was covering up. (Plus her concussion which was not handled properly.) that team did hit 💯 and their competition did not.

The relish of watching a trainwreck dies off quickly.

I was sick of this story after a few hours. I think what she said was awful and very insulting to all of the gymnasts at the Trials. Now it has been almost 2 days of people trying to get the best dunk or take on Skinner.

I'm sad she's chosen this route. I actually enjoyed watching her run-up to the Olympics, largely because I love to follow elite training vlogs, but I've joined the many unfollowing her. Perhaps that is the backlash she'll actually feel, if she has to build her brand back up again by being more positive.

I'm enjoying the video comparisons on Twitter. The Gymternet's been riled up in a way I haven't seen in a while. Usually gymnastics doesn't make it on my FYP on social media.

The idea of Skinner--who makes a living off posting vapid videos to YouTube--pointing the finger at girls whom she believes don't have the same "work ethic" as she does is pretty rich.

I agree that I'd hoped she'd finally grown up a bit and developed some perspective, but.... guess not.

Good god, on some of these vaults only her fingers brush the vault

One arm, no block, no height, no distance, yet she manages to get it around on her feet each time. It's a testament to how badly she was trained and managed, and that one cannot be a lazy elite gymnast.

For fun - and to distract ourselves from Skinner's ongoing idiocy - Ivan Ivankov can still do a Kovacs. And a double (triple?) twisting double layout dismount. That's just wild to me.
Triple!
Wow wow wow! I'm literally the same age as Ivankov. I need to stop slacking off! LOL

That's amazing, major kudos to him. I always enjoyed his gymnastics. I wonder how often he does these skills in order to maintain them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back