Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the E score on this though? If it's not a disaster might as well pack in all the difficulty.
Doesn't matter. The question is "Does this element / connection raise the score — net change?"

If she's counting all those skills, the extras have to be perfect to justify being there.

And the majority of elements / connections have deductions.

I wish they had included actual science (or re-titled the video). Surely there's some medical information the MD could have shared about the extreme flexibility required by RG.
Flexibility isn’t really medical. Also it isn’t really extreme, any more so than the rebound abilities in AG are extreme. Which yes, they are compared with the general population, but it’s not a term I think we’d use to describe AG.

Similarly, just as there is a spectrum of tumbling ability in elite AG, the same goes for flexibility in RG. It isn’t enough to just be very flexible, just as it isn’t enough just to be a powerful tumbler. If you cant jump high enough or quick enotgh, you can’t show your flexibility, if you don’t have the core strength, you can’t hold your flexibility. There are plenty of girls who try RG who have great flexibility, but they don’t have good hand eye coordination or they lack the special awareness to pivot and pirouette so they don’t get anywhere. Not to mention the dance and musicality ability required at top level. A lot of contortionists fall into that box of very very flexibility, but lacked some of the key attributes for RG

Flexibility isn't medical, but hypermobility can be, and it is so prevalent in RG that it might be worth mentioning.
It isn’t medical hypermobility, it is conditioned hyper flexibility that achieves the same results. It is quite rare for a high level elite to have hypermobility, since it actually hinders the ability, and has higher risk factors. There is some controversy within Russian RG community at the moment about an emerging junior with extreme hypermobility condition (complete invert of the elbows). She was deducted for this and many are saying that it’s too dangerous for her to be training at a high level. I posted about her, with videos recently

It isn’t medical hypermobility, it is conditioned hyper flexibility that achieves the same results. It is quite rare for a high level elite to have hypermobility, since it actually hinders the ability, and has higher risk factors. There is some controversy within Russian RG community at the moment about an emerging junior with extreme hypermobility condition (complete invert of the elbows). She was deducted for this and many are saying that it’s too dangerous for her to be training at a high level. I posted about her, with videos recently
Yeah, hypermobility is not that beneficial for rhythmic I would guess. hEDS only means you have elastic joints, not muscles. I can put my leg behind my head because my hips are so open, but my hamstrings are so tight that my splits would make MyKayla Skinner blush.

I imagine the constant dislocations would be insurmountable to train on a regular basis. You’d have a ridiculous lot fabulous toe point, though.

Yeah, hypermobility is not that beneficial for rhythmic I would guess. hEDS only means you have elastic joints, not muscles. I can put my leg behind my head because my hips are so open, but my hamstrings are so tight that my splits would make MyKayla Skinner blush.

I imagine the constant dislocations would be insurmountable to train on a regular basis. You’d have a ridiculous lot fabulous toe point, though.
hEDS means SO much more than just elastic joints. Your muscles can actually stretch as well, just not as much further, making it harder to strengthen the muscles and giving them the feeling of them always being tight. With hEDS muscle injuries and over stretching are quite common.

Ehlers Danlos Syndrome is a genetic connective tissue disorder. It can affect joints, ligament, tendons, muscles, skin and in some types also blood vessels and internal organs. Minor things can result in life changing injuries.

Ehlers Danlos Syndrome is a genetic connective tissue disorder. It can affect joints, ligament, tendons, muscles, skin and in some types also blood vessels and internal organs. Minor things can result in life changing injuries.
Any body part that contains collagen. Which is all of the body. I'm currently fighting what often feels like a losing battle with a vascular compression disorder caused by hEDS. My joints are the least of my problems.

I agree that the vast majority of higher level athletes are likely totally fine. I didn't have too many issues as a gymnast, but I was nowhere near the higher levels. I do have a chef's kiss toe point, though:)

Any body part that contains collagen. Which is all of the body. I'm currently fighting what often feels like a losing battle with a vascular compression disorder caused by hEDS. My joints are the least of my problems.

I agree that the vast majority of higher level athletes are likely totally fine. I didn't have too many issues as a gymnast, but I was nowhere near the higher levels.
Even at the lower levels my joints constantly popped out haha. Had to stop after a short while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back