Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_9200

IMG_9201

IMG_9211

Pasta, champagne and chocolate waffles :ok_hand:t3:
Europeans, help me out. Is this a typicak European-portion, or a gymnast-portion?!

Also, any news on MLR? I don’t have instagram and don’t want to get it.

Last edited:
Europeans, help me out. Is this a typicak European-portion, or a gymnast-portion?!
I’m a Brit and I’d be disappointed with those portion sizes. I can eat though!

Also, any news on MLR? I don’t have instagram and don’t want to get it.
I’d say it’s a French portion, which is the norm in higher end restaurants in Europe.

The only news on Mary Lou has been via her daughters asking for prayers, but they haven’t divulged more information than that.

Not European, but these are likely “small plates”.
Various European restaurants have these and likely have a tasting menu to choose from.

A restaurant I worked for had an entire portion of the menu of small plates, I often referred to this part of the menu because people would often try 5-7 of them and then usually split a main course. The small plates added up on the bill which generally made me more tips. So win-win. People enjoyed all the different bites and I enjoyed the 20-30% tip 😉

Tapas are very huge in right now. As are charcuterie boards.

Not European, but these are likely “small plates”.
Various European restaurants have these and likely have a tasting menu to choose from.

A restaurant I worked for had an entire portion of the menu of small plates, I often referred to this part of the menu because people would often try 5-7 of them and then usually split a main course. The small plates added up on the bill which generally made me more tips. So win-win. People enjoyed all the different bites and I enjoyed the 20-30% tip 😉

Tapas are very huge in right now. As are charcuterie boards.
Definitely not a small plate or tapas! It’s a pasta bowl, there is more there than it looks

Last edited:
Those look like pretty normal restaurant portions to me (European, UK variety). It’s rich food and more than one course; you’d end up quite full.

Those look like pretty normal restaurant portions to me (European, UK variety). It’s rich food and more than one course; you’d end up quite full.
Yeah, I think fairly standard for a more expensive pasta dish where the ingredients are such that you’d struggle to put loads away. And MC is right, the dishes are deceptive!

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends. It is not easy to see how deep the bowl is so it could be a bigger portion than it looks - but also in more traditional Italian restaurants pasta is often served as a starter or sometimes as a choice of portion sizes. So she might have chosen a smaller portion.

I think European portions tend to be a bit smaller than US portion sizes

A bit smaller? Often half the size!

Also, the pasta dish is often the first course and followed by a meat or fish fish dish. Antipasti, Primo, Secondo, Dolce.
I once had work secondment to Italy and managed to totally scandalize the cook in the staff canteen as I just wanted lasagne and a side salad - she kept pointing meaningfully to the grill of meat and fish. Obviously thought I was an odd foreigner 🤣

Word of advice for anyone planning to visit the USA: order appetizers at restaurants. They’re often the size of a main course. And there’s a good chance they’re the best dishes on the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back