Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

There is nothing wrong with Suni’s relationship with her bf. If it is interracial, so what ? People should stop being so bigoted and ignorant. People should know better.

José M.

From what I understand the Hmong community that Suni is from have been targets of Anti Asian attacks in the last few years by mostly African American youth, additionally, Suni herself was the victim of a hate crime that was perpetrated by a group of black men. There was also an incident with one of Suni’s cousins who has a biracial child with a man that abused her and their child. I think the incidents have resulted in a level of mistrust and “ us v.s. them” mentality in a tight knit community that feels they have been targeted by the black community. Not saying anything is justified just seems like a complicated situation all around.

Last edited:
It probably doesn’t help that in Minnesota and Wisconsin, where there are Hmong communities, the white population has been racist for years. Except for parts of inner urban areas like Minneapolis and Milwaukee, there are very few people of color in the rest of the state – these states were mostly settled by northern Europeans, and are still largely inhabited by them. Wisconsin had the greatest inequity in student outcomes among racial lines for some years and I don’t know, it may still be the case. Milwaukee is famous for its white flight suburbs – basically systemic racism and redlining. I’ve heard that the Lutheran church, which is heavily German and Scandinavian, facilitated a lot of Hmong migration. Here is a plea to Lutheran ministers to address the issue of diversity, and be welcoming to everyone. As Craig Ferguson used to say, “Love all the people!”

And then the “just getting my amateurism confirmed!!”

On a more serious note, I hope her body can hold up for college gymnastics. It’s not promising that she got such a serious injury on tour, but her body may still be carrying the stress of the Olympic run. Hopefully this break will allow her body to reset.

she said the scan revealed she had been working on a partial tear for a while (and didn’t even realise it), and that she fully tore the rest just before leaving for florida.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back