Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Yes, my initial thought at Doug’s proposal was that it was too risky… but then so was vault!

I thought at the time that they’d gone for the Amanar because based on prelims, that was just about the safest routine she could do. Even on a day where she was having so many problems, it was just textbook. Her nailing it that morning in training doesn’t necessarily surprise me either, the Amanar has always seemed like one of the skills Simone has best command of. But even then, if the air sense is a problem, an Amanar is a very hard skill to be throwing.

I think Crow nailed it. And I think it’s curious Simone still isn’t taking the opportunity to reframe it differently.

I also really dislike the message that she “chose herself” and it was all about her, and her choice to finally put herself first, (or whatever verbiage the video used). I mean, in one sense, she chose herself in that she chose not to die or get severely injured. But on the other hand, she literally couldn’t do the skills and had to forfeit what was to likely be an enormous amount of fame and glory and medals. Not to mention that one of the earliest things she explicitly said was that she did it for the team, so that if she fell again she wouldn’t tank their medal chances.

I think she was ultimately being rather selfless, not self-centered. I just don’t get that messaging at all.

I’ve always thought it curious that the media framed this as a mental “health” problem. I know others have disagreed but I don’t see a mental block as a “mental health” issue (particularly in light of how that phrase is used these days).

Like Crow said, by withdrawing she was protecting her PHYSICAL health. I see it in a similar vein as Ferrari in 2017, where she knew there was a risk to her Achilles but did the whip-full in anyway. She knew in advance that punching on that Achilles could cause it to snap and she might land on her head. Similarly, Simone knew that there was a risk that she would get lost in the air on a twisting vault and, similarly, could land on her head. Both decided to proceed anyway. Although, at some point, there’s a difference between a coach stepping in and saying “no” for a 16yo as opposed to a 27yo. Ferrari said afterwards that she was fully aware of the risk and made an informed decision to not withdraw. She wanted gold.

Perhaps the same could be said of Ellie Black in Tokyo BB EF. Who knows what might have happened punching a Full on that ankle? But she tossed the coin and got through.

Just as we shouldn’t demonise Simone for the choice she made (to withdraw from the other events - we must remember that she didn’t “choose me” when it came to vaulting), I also don’t think we should demonise the choice Ellie or Vanessa made (although the choice to “not go” should be one that the coach advises - any choice to “go” should only be made by an athlete old enough to understand the consequences).

Last edited:
I’ve always thought it curious that the media framed this as a mental “health” problem. I know others have disagreed but I don’t see a mental block as a “mental health” issue (particularly in light of how that phrase is used these days).
Maybe they just stuck with the first thing they heard; after all, Simone framed it as a mental health decision. Or maybe they thought that “mental health” was more soundbite-y then the twisties. Particularly in light of Naomi Osaka’s withdrawal from competition earlier in the year.

As for it having been a mental health issue, hard to say but signs seem to point to yes. Simone using that phrasing is one indication, her referencing the particular stresses of this Olympics is another. Yes, it was technically a mental block but if I understood correctly it seems to have been linked to underlying mental health issues, though exactly what Simone might have meant by “mental health”, I can’t say. It’s so vague a term I’m starting to find it close to useless.

It’s so vague a term I’m starting to find it close to useless.
Yeah, i think that’s why some of us would rather a more concrete description of the situation, “mental health” is becoming way too wide to mean anything and then it’s hard to have a conversation where this is floating around.

All that being said, you absolutely do have a point that there might be other things we absolutely don’t know about and that is the terminology that Simone used, so that’s that.

I’d prefer that too, but just calling it a mental block seems incomplete.

And with Simone sticking with the “mental health” messaging, I suspect we’re stuck with it too. 😆

Most RG Olympic champions attended Alina Kabaeva’s competition. Here they are from left to right:
  • Lori Fung 1984
  • Alina Kabaeva 2004
  • Yulia Barsukova 2000
  • Alexandra Timochenko 1992
  • Evgeniya Kanaeva 2008 & 2012
  • Margarita Mamun 2016
  • Ekaterina Serebrianskaya 1996
Marina Lobatch (1988) and Linoy Ashram (2020) did not attend.

Ayalin Tarabini is married. She appears to have retired and I missed the announcement.

Konnor McClain’s dad has passed away, apparently of COVID.

I saw a couple weeks ago that he was in hospital, but given the lack of updates I’d assumed he was on the mend. Unfortunately not.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back