Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (5/29/24 Withdrawn from Nationals)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I remember this episode, but I can longer remember the rationale. Why did Simone need a 'medical' reason at all? They were already too late to bring in an alternate... Was it also too late to update the lineup otherwise and so Team USA would have to take 0s on Simone's scratched events instead of swapping in Jordan Chiles?
I didn't think they needed a reason at all?

For some reason Steve Butcher was saying that the head doctor in Tokyo had to essentially confirm a medical/physical reason... i just can't remember why. And despite that Jessica is a misinformation machine, Steve knows what he's talking about.
Tom says the same thing in the interview I posted above. There was a rule that you needed to be evaluated by a doctor and approved not to continue.

The stress and anxiety felt by Simone was also compounded by USAG/Tom Forster and expectations for Simone not only for herself but for the team.

The additional weight of performing for her team I am sure added to the stress.

The medical clearance to be swapped out is silly. This is why you have a team of athletes. If someone does poorly in one touch and wants to be swapped out, they should. This is why other athletes make up the team but might not compete an apparatus.

It may have had to do with the fact they were altering the lineups for the rest of the events--you needed a medically approved reason for the athlete to scratch the competition to bring in the fourth athlete you had listed as the on-team alternate for the apparatus.

Ok yeah, sounds like this has to do with changing lineups after a meet starts and they would have had to count 3 0.0 scores had Simone not been deemed 'injured'. (mentally).

Agreed it's a silly rule. If there's still time to change a lineup then it's should be up to the coaches' discretion if they feel like swapping an athlete out.

Ok yeah, sounds like this has to do with changing lineups after a meet starts and they would have had to count 3 0.0 scores had Simone not been deemed 'injured'. (mentally).

Agreed it's a silly rule. If there's still time to change a lineup then it's should be up to the coaches' discretion if they feel like swapping an athlete out.
Wait, so you cant alter the lineups from the 4/5 gymnasts standing right there at the Olympics?

That's so dumb.

Wait, so you cant alter the lineups from the 4/5 gymnasts standing right there at the Olympics?

That's so dumb.

You absolutely can, you just need to submit a quick form first saying you’re doing it and why. That’s what USA did in Tokyo, they submitted the form and changed the lineups after VT.

That way the meet organizers know to change the names on the boards in the arena for who’s coming up next with the green/red lights, change the name of who’s score comes up after etc.

You absolutely can, you just need to submit a quick form first saying you’re doing it and why. That’s what USA did in Tokyo, they submitted the form and changed the lineups after VT.

That way the meet organizers know to change the names on the boards in the arena for who’s coming up next with the green/red lights, change the name of who’s score comes up after etc.
Thanks. That makes sense.

Who was speaking with Gabby after bars at Core Classic - WOGA coach? The woman had fair hair, red shirt, black vest, purple glasses on top of her head. She gave Gabby a hug and seemed to be consoling her, Gabby was looking down and not looking the woman in the face.

Who was speaking with Gabby after bars at Core Classic - WOGA coach? The woman had fair hair, red shirt, black vest, purple glasses on top of her head. She gave Gabby a hug and seemed to be consoling her, Gabby was looking down and not looking the woman in the face.
I'm not sure. Gabby looked really distraught.

I've been hoping for some kind of update as well.

WOGA coach named Zhenya. When she is talking to Douglas after UB during the meet, she is holding this region 3 jacket in her arms.

WOGA1.png

WOGA2.png

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back