Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (New goal: LA 2028)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yeah, and by the time of team selection, it was anyone’s guess who would stay on the beam. Taking Akhaimova was the right decision. Urazova wasn’t as consistent on VT and FX in the lead up to the Games, adjusting to a growth spurt

Last edited:
It’s wild that a quarter of Urazova’s program across BB/FX was Wolf Turns. I can’t believe they let that go on for so long. She is one of the few gymnasts who really got hurt by the rule change; her Wolf Turns were the example.

They should initiate a cap on 2 turns max for DV.

They should initiate a cap on 2 turns max for DV.
Yeah, it’s like, to some degree I’m conflicted if only because many of the gymnasts (from the Dutch team, for instance) who’ve shown some of the most virtuosic performance on floor and beam are competitive largely thanks to DV derive dfrom difficult dance elements. But at the same time – if I wanted to see the world’s best pirouettes and leaps, I wouldn’t be looking to Women’s Artistic Gymnastics for it – and its athletes wouldn’t be performing on a spring-loaded apparatus covered in carpet and squishy foam that actively inhibits turning in order to provide grip/friction.

If you look back at the fluid and expressive gymnastics of say, Shannon Miller circa 1991 , you’ll see virtuosic beam work with acro that still rivals the hardest skills of 2022 – what you won’t see a routine with a bunch of leap-driven difficulty. (Same thing is basically true if you throw it all the way back to Nadia’s first 10.0 beam routine in 76). Some remarkable cases like Betty Okino’s tripe turn and Yang Bo’s eponymous leap were memorable, exceptional cases, but not the norm during any of these golden eras.

I agree with all of that. But two (out of 8) is enough, surely? I don’t need to see a Double Wolf, a Double L and a Double Y all in the same routine.

For Eythora, she could still do her signature turn sequence and it would all get credited. I don’t need to see her do another turn on top.

I would also love to put Double Tuck and Double Pike in the same box.

Interesting… I assume WOGA wouldn’t have updated her club affiliation(renewed her USAG athlete membership) unless they were looking at entering her in a completion. Could Winter Cup happen?!

If the goal is to get back to international elite, then USAG/WOGA needs to register her with FIG.
She currently is without a license.

All I can picture is some FIG inspector marching up to Gabby at practice and going “can I see your license please ma’am”

I hope gymnastics goes well for her now.

Last edited:
I rarely believe people when they say their only goal in life is to help and inspire or that their only desire is that people spread love.

But I do want to see her come back and be amazing.

Last edited:
Does it matter? I don’t think anyone loses anything by espousing those values, especially in a statement that kids will read.
But yes, I would love to see her come back and be amazing. I always got the feeling she never quite reached her potential.

Obviously completely hypothetical, but a team of Shilese, Jade, Suni, Gabby and Simone, would literally smack so hard on every event!
Olympic qualifications is 5-5-4, right? Because I was looking at this and you could conceivably have the whole team do AA in prelims and let the chips fall where they may for finals. Pie in the sky and it will never happen, but it’s fun to think about.

Olympic qualifications is 5-5-4, right? Because I was looking at this and you could conceivably have the whole team do AA in prelims and let the chips fall where they may for finals. Pie in the sky and it will never happen, but it’s fun to think about.
5-4-3 team qualifications and 5-3-3 team finals.

Oooh, okay. I don’t know why I thought prelims was 5-5-4. 5-4-3 should be for TFs. I’ve had a consistent hatred for 3-up 3-count since its inception.

Oooh, okay. I don’t know why I thought prelims was 5-5-4. 5-4-3 should be for TFs. I’ve had a consistent hatred for 3-up 3-count since its inception.
Its because of Tokyo and teams of 4, it was 4-4-3, 4-3-3. +1s could also compete AA. So we had 6 athletes doing all around for USA. That is how it got confusing.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back