Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (New goal: LA 2028)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Here are others!

Zhang Xinyi: Link
Wei Xiaoyuan:
Guan Chenchen:
Qi Qi: Qi Qi - UB TF - 2019 CHN Nationals Zhaoqing - YouTube
Yao Jinnan: YAO Jinnan AA UB at Chinese Nationals 2014 - YouTube
Tan Jiaxin (hers is pikey, altho she had a Ray): TAN Jiaxin 谭佳薪, Gold on Uneven Bars, FIG Challenge Cup, Doha 2013 - YouTube
Luo Huan: Huan Luo - Uneven Bars - AYOF 2013 - YouTube
Baby Tingting: https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODMwODg2NDY0.html
Luo Peiru: Luo Peiru UB - YouTube
Huang Qiushuang: 黃秋爽 Huang Qiushuang AA Uneven Bars, Japan Cup 2009 - YouTube
Xiao Sha: 2006 National Qualifier Xiao Sha UB - YouTube
He Ning: 2005 Chinese National Games EF Bars - He Ning - YouTube
Bai Chunyue: bai chunyue 1999 international team championships uneven bars - YouTube
Wu Xiaohua: Wu Xiaohua - 1997 Junior International Team Championships - Uneven Bars - YouTube

I didn’t include Jiang Yuyuan’s because hers is certifiably pikey. And I can’t find vid of Deng Linlin’s from 07. I too used to think that DLO 1/1s weren’t worth it, especially when we were seeing them done like Wieber’s and Jiang’s. But I think all of the above achieve good shape and don’t have excessive pike

Carey should have been on the team instead of McCallum, with McCusker and Skinner the 2 individual athletes.
I thought she couldn’t because she had already earned a spot via the other methods
ETA: Hatsumomo beat me 🙂

Last edited:
Yes, the only way Jade could’ve been on the main team is if she’d declined the individual spot. It wouldn’t have been at all sensible for her to take the risk at that point, and practically speaking USAG would have opened up a can of worms if they’d put her on the main team.

Ah yes I’d forgotten about that. Jade was really in an impossible situation. Forfeit and you risk your own Olympic dream, whilst definitely ending one of your team mate’s

Yes. I can’t remember how the whole thing worked and how US had a named and nominative spot, Russia had 2 nominative spots, China had 1? and GB didn’t have any at all

USA could have had two spots to use for anyone, but the Carey’s were determined to lock one down for just them. USA had one NOC +1 from the AA World Cups. Once Jade took the named +1 from the individual event World Cups USA became ineligible to get a NOC +1 from continental championships.

Had the Careys not insisted on taking the individual event spot, USA would have easily had +2 NOC spots to play with, and Jade could have been on the main team.

Although wasn’t Jade somewhat injured at Trials? She didn’t look that good anyway, though obviously we can’t know how she’d have looked if it had been at all important for her to peak then.

But it was a great decision by the Careys. I can’t blame anyone involved for not wanting to put theirs/their athlete/their child’s spot in the hands of USAG when a mechanism existed to avoid it.

There were three non-nominative spots for the top 3 teams from 2018 worlds. Nominative spots for the apparatus world cup winners. Then with the continental allocations, it depended whether the qualifying AA result came from a gymnast whose team was already qualified or not. So for example Listunova won one for Russia and it was for the federation to use as they wished. Whereas with Iordache and Andrade, their continental AA finishes qualified them as individuals.

Although wasn’t Jade somewhat injured at Trials? She didn’t look that good anyway, though obviously we can’t know how she’d have looked if it had been at all important for her to peak then.
She had been training her triple double laid out just prior to Trials/Olympics but it never materialized in the competition so she clearly wasn’t where she was intending to be.

I just cannot believe that during the week Simone announced her second comeback our thread with the most posts is rehashing McCollum v. Skinner.
That’s why I love this site… the side conversations are entertaining(usually)

Usually is doing a lot of work in that sentence. 😜

I kid. I was an admitted irrational Grace stan so what can I say. 🤷‍♀️

I’m just disappointed to find out that all the posts weren’t dissecting a recent 6.8 video of Gabby’s new bar routine.

Last edited:
I was talking about Skinner’s Cheng, not Steingruber’s Chuso II
We weren’t talking about Skinner’s Cheng, but okay, I guess you were randomly trying to attack her, this forum loves doing that. Her form and landing are vastly better than what Melnikova does in the Cheng, it’s very unfair to try and defend Melnikova’s ridiculous overscore with “but it was a little higher than another gymnast’s who I dislike”. I’m not clear on your position though, do you think Melnikova’s vaults deserved that EF spot over Steingruber’s?
The fact that Grace was competing on TF day and Skinner wasn’t, is absolutely completely irrelevant and its an absolute idiotic point to even think of
It’s only idiotic to someone who has never done a stressful competitive team sport themself. Someone who has should understand how much your own performance and mental focus can be affected by having (or not having) teammates you are close to and trust in.

The answer is ultimately unknowable, but it’s just something to think about. Also worth thinking about is how the vibe in qualifying was weird, with 2 people competing who weren’t actually on the team itself, and how Skinner being two-per out of EF meant she wouldn’t be getting any Olympic medal. When your friend gets screwed over you’re going to be sad for them. Remember, Simone herself thought Skinner should have been on the 2016 team, and likely her thought was the same about the 2020 team. So she had to sit there and watch her friend anguishing for the 2nd time in a row.

We weren’t talking about Skinner’s Cheng, but okay, I guess you were randomly trying to attack her, this forum loves doing that. Her form and landing are vastly better than what Melnikova does in the Cheng, it’s very unfair to try and defend Melnikova’s ridiculous overscore with “but it was a little higher than another gymnast’s who I dislike”. I’m not clear on your position though, do you think Melnikova’s vaults deserved that EF spot over Steingruber’s?
We have been talking about Skinner’s Cheng. I’m not defending Melnikova’s score. I could go back and score all the gymnasts who did two vaults and get back to you and let you know if I think Melnikova should’ve qualified over Steingruber. But I’m not doing that.
Remember, Simone herself thought Skinner should have been on the 2016 team
? No?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back