FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_9931.jpeg

They can’t award Voinea anything. Her situation whilst unfortunate, is irrelevant to the actual dispute. If you believe you have been score incorrectly, you need to appeal it within the given time.

In slow motion replay, maybe she didn’t go oob. But in slow motion replay, can the judges ignore her form errors? Inquiries can bring a score up or down.
I mean, you're not wrong, but I think my issue with this situation is the an OOB isn't really a judgement call in the same way that crediting skills can be. They shouldn't be making these errors.

By the regulations, the decision was correct. But she was also failed by the FIG, and with other decisions being re-evaluated, there's a bit of a "putting the genie back in the bottle" element at play.

It’s unlikely to happen, due to there being an athlete between them (Voinea). Which is likely the reason why it was dismissed in the first place. Voinea cannot appeal her score, she had the opportunity to inquire her ND and did not. She can’t do it a week late, any more than Jordan can inquire 4 seconds late.
Unlikely, but not impossible cus FIG and IOC make the rules. Toss some asterisks next to their names and provide a blurbed explanation why 3rd and 5th both get medals but 4th doesn't. "Due to administrative and technical failures on the part of the officiating body..."

I agree with many of the discussed changes, and even if implemented, the margin for error for gymnasts and judges will remain too high for a one and done format. Olympic event finals may be the one place where we need to add a compulsory.

Unlikely, but not impossible cus FIG and IOC make the rules. Toss some asterisks next to their names and provide a blurbed explanation why 3rd and 5th both get medals but 4th doesn't. "Due to administrative and technical failures on the part of the officiating body..."
The problem is that Jordan’s score can only be either 13.666 or 13.766. Ana and Sabrina’s scores can only be 13.7, with Ana ahead on tie break.

You cannot have an athlete on 13.666 with a medal and an athlete on 13.7 without.

The whole thing rests entirely on the validity of Jordan’s inquiry.

They will need to prove 1 of the following
A. The inquiry was in on time
B. The timing system for the inquiry is inaccurate or not reliable
C. The rules pertaining to the inquiry time limit are unclear or ambiguous

Translated: The lawyer who represented Romania at CAS commenting on the USA appeal:

GOLAZO spoke to Sabin Gherdan, the lawyer who represented Romanian gymnasts Ana Maria Bărbosu and Sabrina Voinea at CAS:

"The U.S. Olympics & Paralympic Committee will appeal to the Swiss Federal Tribunal. It's about limiting grounds of appeal. It's an appeal.

The grounds include a finding that public policy was violated, that the arbitrators did not sign the CAS ruling, that they were not served with the pleadings and did not have time to prepare a defense, that the arbitrators were incompatible.

The substance of the matter is not being discussed again. It only discusses procedural issues, which, in a certain context, could overturn the arbitral award and re-arbitration.

Statistically, only 0.5% of appeals are admitted
at the Swiss Federal Tribunal. The judgment is enforceable".

Last edited:
Translated(Update): Nadia will give Sabrina her Montreal bronze medal under one condition

To recognize her work over the past four years and to encourage her to continue at the highest level, Nadia Comăneci said she would give up her bronze medal on floor, won at the Montreal Olympics.

However, Nadia has backtracked on her decision and made a slight change to her promise: she wants to make sure Sabrina doesn't give up gymnastics, as her mother and coach Camelia has hinted these days.

"Yes, the statement I made is known. I am giving this medal to Sabrina because she deserves it very much as a moral reward, but with the promise that when she wins her own medal, she will return mine to me," Nadia Comăneci said

This is just horrendous. The three gymnasts involved have done nothing wrong and are being put through the absolute emotional wringer while everyone around them argues about process. At this point the only thing I'm certain of is that people in charge need to sit down and work out how to make sure this situation never happens again.

Translated(Update): Nadia will give Sabrina her Montreal bronze medal under one condition

To recognize her work over the past four years and to encourage her to continue at the highest level, Nadia Comăneci said she would give up her bronze medal on floor, won at the Montreal Olympics.

However, Nadia has backtracked on her decision and made a slight change to her promise: she wants to make sure Sabrina doesn't give up gymnastics, as her mother and coach Camelia has hinted these days.

"Yes, the statement I made is known. I am giving this medal to Sabrina because she deserves it very much as a moral reward, but with the promise that when she wins her own medal, she will return mine to me," Nadia Comăneci said

This is batshit. Nadia needs to stop making this all about her

What IS it about sabrina voinea that has made so many Romanian gym legends act like complete fools? Does Mama Voinea have dirt on them all or something?

This is just horrendous. The three gymnasts involved have done nothing wrong and are being put through the absolute emotional wringer while everyone around them argues about process. At this point the only thing I'm certain of is that people in charge need to sit down and work out how to make sure this situation never happens again.
Yes, but process is what matters. Its process which , if well designed and executed, would have prevented this in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back