FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guarantee you that they NEVER meant EXACTLY 1 minute, to the specific second.
Maybe? But the way the rule is written, specifically detailing what has to be done within the minute, and noting exactly when the minute time starts to accrue, seems to suggest otherwise. Given the specificity of the rule, unless presented with other evidence of intent, I think they did mean exactly one minute. Doesn't make it a good rule, but I think the intention is in the writing.

Last edited:
This is just diabolical. I agree with Denn; the rules specify one minute, but not one minute, zero seconds. I guess CAS has to take the most literal interpretation of the rules, but I doubt the apparatus supervisor pulled out a stopwatch the moment the score was announced. Otherwise, an inquiry wouldn't have been accepted.

I reviewed Raisman's inquiry in 2012. There are 53 seconds between Mihai's reaction to her score and him tapping the judge's shoulder, and another 1 minute 2(ish) seconds before handing the inquiry form to the FIG. Don't know what the rule was then, but don't see why it would have changed. If the tapping the judge's shoulder counts as the "verbal" inquiry, then 53 seconds would count.

Yes the call was wrong, she did not step OOB.

Yes the ND was really about OOB.
As I mentioned before, there are speculations that she brushed the OOB mat with her big toe.
The video (first published by NBC I believe) certainly shows she didn't step OOB with her heel, but whether her big toe brushed the OOB mat or not, it's not clear from that video.

How is it legitimate criticism to accuse her of shadow posting through her gym's account when she has NEVER criticized another athlete, let alone one she BOWED to on the podium for this same result?
You guys. It was a joke. I think we're all really tired by all this drama and things that would ordinarily be funny are not, or something.

But in all seriousness, dragging Simone into the fray with their tweet was really weird on WCC's part.

Every other inquiry was rejected during the floor final. They should have kept that consistent and rejected the inquiry for Jordan. How did it get accepted if it was late?
Rejecting an inquiry means they decided not to overturn the score, not that they didn't look at it
Edit- I see someone beat me to this

I am wondering, after Maneca-Voinea's D inquiry was rejected, could she then file ND inquiry?
I suppose the first inquiry was rejected within 2 minutes, so she had enough time to file the second one.
I am starting to wonder if she actually KNEW she brushed the OOB mat with her big toe when she turned before her second pass. We can only speculate, but there must be something that made the line judges think she went OOB (or whatever, no one actually officially confirmed the ND was for OOB, maybe she just didn't salute nicely enough).
No. You have to include it in one inquiry submission

Translated:

Camelia Voinea, message through tears: "We are not well!"

"I can't even speak, I'm crying all the time," confessed the Seoul Olympic vice-champion. She didn't have the strength to react to the case itself, only to describe how she felt. "I can't believe what happened. I felt sick when I got the news. Neither Sabri nor I want to hear about gymnastics anymore. We are not well, Sabri has locked herself in her room and is crying," confessed Camelia.

Last edited:
Translated Ana statement:

"Sabrina, Jordan, my thoughts go out to you. I know very well that it hurts, because I've been through the same thing. But I know you and I am sure you will have the strength to come back even stronger.

I sincerely hope that at the next Olympic Games we will be on the same podium. This is my dream.

I am proud that I managed to bring Romania back on an Olympic podium. I hope I made all Romanians happy. I thank them for the love they showed me", Ana Bărbosu told us.

Translated Ana statement:

"Sabrina, Jordan, my thoughts go out to you. I know very well that it hurts, because I've been through the same thing. But I know you and I am sure you will have the strength to come back even stronger.

I sincerely hope that at the next Olympic Games we will be on the same podium. This is my dream.

I am proud that I managed to bring Romania back on an Olympic podium. I hope I made all Romanians happy. I thank them for the love they showed me", Ana Bărbosu told us.

Ana is a class act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back