FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the FIG really painted themselves into a corner when they refused to give Voinea the 0.1 ND back on the basis that her coaches inquired about the D, not the ND. At that point, they were stuck following every procedure to the letter, including the time limit on inquiries. Had they shown any leniency towards Jordan the Romanian federation would have absolutely exploded, and quite understandably so under the circumstances.

I feel really bad for Jordan. Imagine having to return a medal (if that's accurate). On the other hand, I don't think I'd want to keep it, either, with the way things have gone. She's no longer the official third place finisher, the medal has little meaning aside from being a pretty memento.
The Romanian fed would have warranted exploded if they didn't implement the same strictness of the rules for both parties. It's the only way to be consistent with deciding the outcome.

I dont think I'd want to keep the Bronze either but maybe I'd feel differently if it was in my hands. But you also cant take away Jordan's memories/experience and the photos of her being on the podium so even if she loses the medal, she will have that while Ana doesn't.

Does Jordan have a claim against the FIG here?

According to the FIG, Jordan’s gogean should have been awarded from the outset.

If they had done their job, Jordan would have never needed to file an inquiry. So it would have never been late. So it would have never been wrongly accepted by the FIG. So Romania would have never had standing to bring a claim.

If they had done their job, Jordan would have never needed to file an inquiry. So it would have never been late. So it would have never been wrongly accepted by the FIG. So Romania would have never had standing to bring a claim.
No, she doesn’t have a claim. USAG have accepted the outcome

Sorry,

Sorry, this was sarcasm in response to others' suggestion that it was her who posted it due to her general "unprofessionalism" on social media.
No worries! I deleted my post. The discourse and implicit bias surrounding someone who has given so much to this sport over the last decade has just made me so frustrated.

If we are going to play that game, Sabrina would be the bronze medalist because she didn't actually go OOB.

You know, the IOC set a precedent for giving out multiple medals of the same color with different scores with the 2002 pairs debacle, when it was the judges' fault. And the French judge was suspended.

Yeah, but in that case we don't, officially at least, know what the scores would have been if the judging wasn't corrupt. The CAS ruling says Chiles scored less than Barbosu, so it would be weird for two people with different scores to share a medal, especially now Voinea is between them in the standings.

I find it so funny how the online discourse never talks about the E score after the fact.

Like, we have seen SO MANY errors with the E score. Like, whole ass falls not being taken. And yet no one bats an eyelid because the E score is sacrilege and unchallengeable.

It can be just as wrong as not taking a 0.1 ND.

If we are going to play that game, Sabrina would be the bronze medalist because she didn't actually go OOB.
Jordan's claim would be about not overriding the call of the day. They don't usually let the monday morning quarterbacks point out that the ref's call at minute x would have given team Y the win or whatever. Honestly, I can't remember another time when an already awarded medal was removed for anything other than doping or age falsification or some other "nefarious" behavior of the winner (like a political slogan on the podium). Jordan might be the first.

Yeah, but in that case we don't, officially at least, know what the scores would have been if the judging wasn't corrupt. The CAS ruling says Chiles scored less than Barbosu, so it would be weird for two people with different scores to share a medal, especially now Voinea is between them in the standings.
I guess I didn’t think of it that way, but it’s still awful to punish Jordan. It’s really hard, if not outright impossible to not think of it that way. As I said said earlier, this is precedent setting and I don’t like what it means for the future. Jordan didn’t do anything wrong.

Frustrated Selina Meyer GIF

Well, the D-panel had a different take on that - and from the videos that I've seen and watched - it is a BIG ask to credit it. It was according to the Superior Jury that it should have been awarded. I hope they are forced to go back and watch EVERY Gogean attempted from every phase OVER AND OVER!

I think it shows a bigger issue though - a huge turd-storm in a shite-show that should never have been. When a shite jump causes more controversy than a 2/1 bwd pike or a fwd double twist stretched, it shows the inane system of both requiring a shite jump and the hierarchy of award it such a huge DV.

No worries! I deleted my post. The discourse and implicit bias surrounding someone who has given so much to this sport over the last decade has just made me so frustrated.
Tall poppy syndrome.

Well, the D-panel had a different take on that - and from the videos that I've seen and watched - it is a BIG ask to credit it. It was according to the Superior Jury that it should have been awarded. I hope they are forced to go back and watch EVERY Gogean attempted from every phase OVER AND OVER!

I think it shows a bigger issue though - a huge turd-storm in a shite-show that should never have been. When a shite jump causes more controversy than a 2/1 bwd pike or a fwd double twist stretched, it shows the inane system of both requiring a shite jump and the hierarchy of award it such a huge DV.
Gogeans should just be banned from the sport at this point.

I find it so funny how the online discourse never talks about the E score after the fact.

Like, we have seen SO MANY errors with the E score. Like, whole ass falls not being taken. And yet no one bats an eyelid because the E score is sacrilege and unchallengeable.

It can be just as wrong as not taking a 0.1 ND.

Yeeeeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back