FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it so funny how the online discourse never talks about the E score after the fact.

Like, we have seen SO MANY errors with the E score. Like, whole ass falls not being taken. And yet no one bats an eyelid because the E score is sacrilege and unchallengeable.

It can be just as wrong as not taking a 0.1 ND.
Just wait until the artistry deductions get published!

I find it so funny how the online discourse never talks about the E score after the fact.

Like, we have seen SO MANY errors with the E score. Like, whole ass falls not being taken. And yet no one bats an eyelid because the E score is sacrilege and unchallengeable.

It can be just as wrong as not taking a 0.1 ND.
Because there are already 4 stages of checks-and-balances already built into the E-score.
  • 2 scores are thrown out to avoid egregious errors
  • 3 scores are averaged, which further mitigates for errors
  • if something is still awry, that average is averaged with the reference panel
  • And the apparatus supervisor is allowed to question "impossible" scores
Granted, it would be even better to use all 8 judges doing the execution score right from the get-go — throw out two high and two low, and average. But what they are doing already is a lot of protection.

With D-score and neutral deductions, there's only 1 or 2 people involved — hence the need for an inquiry check.

Well, the D-panel had a different take on that - and from the videos that I've seen and watched - it is a BIG ask to credit it. It was according to the Superior Jury that it should have been awarded. I hope they are forced to go back and watch EVERY Gogean attempted from every phase OVER AND OVER!

I think it shows a bigger issue though - a huge turd-storm in a shite-show that should never have been. When a shite jump causes more controversy than a 2/1 bwd pike or a fwd double twist stretched, it shows the inane system of both requiring a shite jump and the hierarchy of award it such a huge DV.
Can you explain why her FX final Gogean should not be credited? I read the CoP about shoulder and hip positioning, but I am still unclear on why it should not be credited, and want to learn. Thanks!

Maybe they fast-forwarded through choreography (and round-offs, back handsprings, etc.)? If it's a D-panel review, they only need to review actual elements.

I do wish there were more information about the review itself, though, because I don't see why the Gogean was credited and I am curious who made that call.

Maybe they fast-forwarded through choreography (and round-offs, back handsprings, etc.)? If it's a D-panel review, they only need to review actual elements.

I do wish there were more information about the review itself, though, because I don't see why the Gogean was credited and I am curious who made that call.
They are required to view the whole thing according to these tweets. That’s why you see other changes to the D score when an inquiry is granted.

Season 1 Fx GIF

Wow, they're really going to punish Jordan because of their mistakes. That's horrible. I can't imagine the precedent this sets. I don't know what the right thing to do in this case is, but I just don't think this is it. I feel sick.
Gross incompetence at epic levels. This will hurt all 3 girls forever.

They can’t give Voinea back the 0.1 if she didn’t inquire it. They are stripping Chiles of a medal on the basis that she didn’t get her inquiry in on time. They cannot allow Voinea to retrospectively submit one, after having had the benefit of examining the video. Lots of athletes would like that opportunity.

If Voinea believed there was any chance that she wasn’t out of bounds, she needed to include the ND as part of her inquiry at the time
Are gymnasts told what their ND deductions are after the score is posted?

Her mother apparently inquired on D score. I’m not sure where she thought the judges made an error there. BUT the way everything is worded it appears the line deductions have to be explicitly Appealed separately and she did not do that.

Not saying this happened in this scenario, but I do wonder what would happen if, within that minute, you didn't have a clear path to the judges because a photographer or another delegation was (unintentionally) blocking the lane or sightline. Would the other team be disqualified? The photographer be stripped of her credentials?

Four seconds is really the difference between an "excuse me," and pushing someone out the way. Lots of things to consider as they work to improve the system.

Voinea’s inquiry wasn’t accepted so there wasn’t a review of her routine.
How could an inquiry be rejected if no one looked at the routine again?
My apologies. This is the part of the sport I lost interest in when the open-ended scoring system came about. I fell in love with gym in the late 80s.

Gross incompetence at epic levels. This will hurt all 3 girls forever.
I wouldn’t want to compete elite gymnastics after this. Hell, I’m not even sure I want to watch anymore. This is such a bad way for the Olympics to end and that’s after I had such an amazing time being there the first week. I wouldn’t trade that for anything.

Does Jordan have a claim against the FIG here?

According to the FIG, Jordan’s gogean should have been awarded from the outset.

If they had done their job, Jordan would have never needed to file an inquiry. So it would have never been late. So it would have never been wrongly accepted by the FIG. So Romania would have never had standing to bring a claim.
Could the same be said for Sabrina who never went OOBs?

Not being facetious. Educating myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back