FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be the reverse. Racism creates unsafe environments. If a woman walking alone at night only feels unsafe because she sees a Black man walking around, she's not actually in any danger but her bias against Black people makes her feel unsafe.
How many Romanian women would be happy walking past a group of Romani (gypsy) men I wonder.

I never said everyone in Romania is racist.

I said that there has been a parade of anti-Blackness and anti-American sentiment on display in Romanian social media this week and the Romanian Prime Minister has fueled the anti-American sentiment and both Romanian gymnastics officials and the Prime Minister have been complacent toward the racism. Given these factors, a joint press conference and medal presentation with USA gymnastics officials and Romanian gymnastics officials is not in the best interest of the U.S., and certainly not Chiles.
But that isn’t what you said.

Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 22.13.02.png

Can we please end the off topic discussion about racism in Romania?

It would be the reverse. Racism creates unsafe environments. If a woman walking alone at night only feels unsafe because she sees a Black man walking around, she's not actually in any danger but her bias against Black people makes her feel unsafe.
Lots of things can lead to an unsafe environment. But once you live in an unsafe environment, that will lead to more racism I think.

Sigh. They can’t even get their own press release right. Barbosu scored 13.7, not 13.766

FIG incompetence extends to every single corner of the organization apparently.

Good god. Wrong score for Barbosu, no notification about the actual changed score, no updated placements for other athletes. D minus.

ETA I misread; they do have Chiles’ score, but not her placement. So D plus, I guess.

Translated text:

There was a very clear conclusion that emerged during this period: there are a lot of refereeing mistakes. I discussed it with the FIG president. I was told that these problems are known, there was even talk of analyzing the exercises with the help of artificial intelligence", said Mihai Covaliu, president of the Romanian Olympic Sports Committee.

If we assume that the gogean WAS properly around (it wasn’t - but the AS thought it was, so let’s proceed).

The argument is that jordan should be denied a bronze medal because the judges made a mistake and her coaches were 4 seconds late in submitting an appeal to correct the FIGs error.

Now THAT is an inequitable result.
When the rules are inequitable in the first place, that's how the results would be. What's the logic in saying that seven gymnasts in a final get two minutes to file an inquiry but the eighth gets one? 64 seconds was plenty within the limits for everybody else, but strips Jordan of her title, Voinea's ND and Jordan's Gogean notwithstanding.

Just to my untrained eye when I watched the competition in real time, I thought Ana was cleanest, but Sabrina would place ahead of her (which would have been the case if the ND hadn't been taken) and Jordan would have placed below both them because her landing errors were pretty egregious. As much as it's subjective, I sometimes wonder if general impressions are right.

While we're all marinating in the tidal wave of stupid and unprofessional shit on social media from multiple parties this week, I present another exhibit for consideration. Alicia Sacramone's IG stories reposting a tweet about how Jordan will always be the rightful bronze medallist.

And this was after the USAG statement, which was very good in the circumstances.

I didn't say anything about Japan.

The FIG president and a couple of his friends are not representatives of all of Japan anymore than the vocal racists represent all of Romania.
I thought you made the request that we no longer discuss Romania and racism in this thread 🤨

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back