FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
What judges? The ones that accepted their inquiry and gave them the bronze? They should have rejected their inquiry because it wasn't submitted on time! CAS is a different beast.
Judges as in all gymnastics judges. Judges in a generic sense. I would not say judges if I meant the CAS.

My sense is that judges aren’t supposed to be on your side and you as a competitor or coach better know the details of the technical regulation.

If I was Jordan, i’d give the medal back (assuming USAG doesn’t appeal).

I wouldn’t be able to look at it in the same way, now.

She could even turn it into a “good sportsmanship” thing.

Paul keeping his gold didn’t exactly cover him in glory. I wonder how he looks at it.

IMG_9801.jpeg

I think we need to wait for an official statement from the FIG or IOC to be 1000% sure what exactly happens next.
The FIG has adjusted the score, therefore I believe there will be little involved from the IOC. Other than that the FIG has to order and pay for a new bronze medal from the IOC.

the ioc only gets involved if the FIG refused to accept CAS ruling

If I was Jordan, i’d give the medal back (assuming USAG doesn’t appeal).

I wouldn’t be able to look at it in the same way, now.

She could even turn it into a “good sportsmanship” thing.

Paul keeping his gold didn’t exactly cover him in glory. I wonder how he looks at it.

This is different from Paul Hamm's situation, The CAS ruled that Paul should remain ranked in 1st place. CAS rejected the South Korean appeal. FIG sending a letter asking him to give back the medal was just Grandi being Grandi, trying to sweep away the controversy before it reached CAS. The letter was sent in August, CAS ruled in October.

In this case the CAS has upheld the Romanian appeal and ruled that Ana Barbosu is ranked 3rd place.

Agree, but how do you strip a medal when the athlete is not at fault of anything (Gogean notwithstanding 🙃)? If it was playing with mental health for Barbosu over a minute or two, what is it when an athlete has had a medal for days? I honestly don’t see a good way forward here.
Mental health isn’t a consideration here. Chiles has already been stripped of 3rd place. Whether she keeps the medal or not doesn’t matter, she’s no longer an Olympic bronze medalist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back