FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the moment, no. Once she’s had time to process, she can focus on the joy of being an Olympic champion instead of feeling bitterness about her coaches being too late with an inquiry. She can feel much better than Sabrina who walks away with nothing.
This wildly understates the mental damage of wrongly receiving a barrage of racial abuse for a situation she didn't cause.

Ehh, that's very debatable. The judges do not score PCS appropriately. It is just a jumping show now.
Pcs is a status show (at least it was the case in 2013-18). All the pcs of a single person would be in a one point range. So nobody would have a 6 presentation but 8 skating skills or 9 transitions. It was absurd and t was used to put whomever they wanted on the podium. Don't know if that's still the case tho

This story has not yet been picked up by major news outlets. It’s going to be absolute hell
They are kind of lucky they announced this on a Saturday. I'm sure it will be picked up soon, but the media is generally slower on the weekends.

Ehh, that's very debatable. The judges do not score PCS appropriately. It is just a jumping show now.
Eh, that's also debatable given the Russians are gone for the foreseeable future. Maybe in men's it's a jumping show, but it's not like Ilia or Nathan are wrong for getting points through what they do/did best.

Just as in the case of Paul Hamm, Jordan does not have to give back the bronze medal. It was awarded to her and the official results state she is the bronze medalist.

She and USAG can refuse and then sue FIG.

FIG will award a second bronze.

I thought that the results were unchanged and Yang was never recognised as the true winner?

Eh, that's also debatable given the Russians are gone for the foreseeable future. Maybe in men's it's a jumping show, but it's not like Ilia or Nathan are wrong for getting points through what they do/did best.
No, they are not. But being a good jumper shouldn't entitle you to 8 and 9's in PCS (and I'm not necessarily talking about any specific skater here).

in 2014, Yu-Na Kim should have won gold, IMO.

This is correct
No it's not. Everyone but the last competitor has however long it takes for the score of the next competitor's routine to show up. Which makes sense because often there is one coach for 2+ gymnasts and the coach has to be there for the next gymnast and therefore has no time to file an inquiry until after the next gymnast is done.

Is it, though?
I'm speaking there as an experienced fan, but not as a professional judge. When I was watching, the clear podium to me was Andrade-Biles-Barbosu. I would have had four and five as Chiles and then Voinea, but that's less relevant at this point. I'd need to go back through the judging sheets to see if the board judges had it similarly, with more detailed evaluations than I really can do.

In terms of balancing all the inquiries, etc... If Voinea didn't appeal the ND, she didn't appeal it. Someone early in the thread gave a good reason why she might not have been given the benefit of the doubt there. Did the OOB happen? It's clear her heel didn't go out; I have yet to see a picture or zoomed video of the big toe. Jordan's Gogean wasn't complete, but the judges inaccurately gave it to her on inquiry. We've learned the inquiry was late, but there is also an inherent unfairness to giving the last competitor less time to file than the other 7 athletes, and how much should that unfairness in the rules be taken into account? And then there's the issue of how much of the judges' rulings for one federation another federation can appeal--apparently, they can appeal if the judges allowed the inquiry improperly, but not if the judges judged the inquiry improperly.

So in terms of if it was the podium it originally should have been, I think it is, with room for the kind of argument we all enjoy so much. I guess it's a lot trickier to say that it's the right podium, given all the events that followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back