FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all I need to know. And that's what Romanian officials obviously don't know. They need to hire @irichluck21 and/or @MaryClare as their advisors so they stop embarrassing themselves.
It’s more of a case of the Romanian press being completely untrustworthy. They will report anything without any sort of fact checking. I would completely ignore what the Romanian media are saying and only take notice of official statements from the FIG and IOC.

We are all just speculating at this point. We have to wait for the official review and announcment on the final decision.

I do think that Jordan will remain with bronze and both Romanian appeals for Barbosu and Voinea will be denied.

But we have to wait and see.

I agree.. if nothing ever happened with raducan( which in my opinion is much bigger issue), I doubt anything will happen and if it does then Andrea better get her gold medal back lol

I agree.. if nothing ever happened with raducan( which in my opinion is much bigger issue), I doubt anything will happen and if it does then Andrea better get her gold medal back lol
The Raducan situation was different. Giving her back her medal would be akin to changing the rules after the fact. Certainly, she wasn't doping in the traditional sense, but it is undisputed that she took a banned substance (even if it shouldn't hav been banned).

It is different than saying rules weren't properly followed, or followed discrepantly, favoring one athlete over another.

Not totally clear to me which situation we're dealing with here, but I suspect that if Romania is trying amend the the rules/procedures after the fact, it will be denied, even if causes an unjust result,

Last edited:
It’s more of a case of the Romanian press being completely untrustworthy. They will report anything without any sort of fact checking. I would completely ignore what the Romanian media are saying and only take notice of official statements from the FIG and IOC.
Similar to the US then! I assume everything in the media is based on opinion more than fact.

Latest update from the Romanian press:

12:00
CAS has decided to hear the Romanian gymnasts' cases "jointly"

The CAS verdict in the case of gymnasts Ana Maria Bărbosu and Sabrina Voinea will also be given jointly. Camelia Voinea has not yet completed her deposition

11:02 Donatella Sacchi, President of the Women's Technical Committee and President of the Superior Jury, has concluded her deposition

Mrs. Donatella Sacchi's deposition is over

Although Donatella Sacchi defended herself as best she could, the three members of the CAS ad hoc division's three-member judging panel in Paris found several loopholes in the arbitration system.

Camelia Voinea, Sabrina's mother, is now being heard.

Donatella Sacchi did double duty in the floor final, as president of the women's technical committee and president of the Superior Jury. The latter judges every appeal lodged by the coaches of the athletes in the competition.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Last edited:
tweet1.png

tweet2.png

tweet3.png

From EuroSport, through google translate.

The TAS hearings are in full swing! Good news for Voinea and Bărbosu
By Daniel Kerekes
Updated 10/08/2024 at 13:51 GMT+3

The hearings in the trial of the two Romanian gymnasts Sabrina Voinea and Ana Bărbosu started at 9:30. Until this moment, Donatella Sacchi, the president of the women's technical committee and the president of the Superior Jury, has been heard, and the jury has identified problems with the refereeing system of the final.

Romania is hoping for at least a bronze medal in gymnastics at this moment, when the CAS hearings in the case of Sabrina Voinea and Ana Bărbosu are in full swing. The hearings started half an hour late due to Paris traffic.

Good news for the representatives of Romania up to this point is the fact that the jury identified gaps in the arbitration system of the final, after the president of the Superior Jury, Donatella Saccchi , was heard, notes Golazo.ro

Nadia Comăneci does not participate in these hearings, even if there were chances that she would be present. Romania's representatives entered the hearings via video conference, and so far Camelia Voinea and Cecile Landi, the American coach, have been heard.

At around 12:00, TAS decided to judge the cases of the two gymnasts jointly. Cristian Jura, president of the Romanian Court of Sports Arbitration and TAS arbitrator, said he did not understand why this decision was made: "The verdict will be a common one, no doubt, but I don't understand exactly why they decided to connect the two cases Of course, both are about the FIG regulations and how they are applied ," he said, according to the quoted source.

TAS continues today the hearings in the case of Voinea and Bărbosu

The case reached the judges of the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which, during the Olympic Games, has opened a permanent office at the Paris Court. All parties involved gave evidence and hearings were held, and until yesterday lunchtime it was believed that the verdict would come on Friday evening. However, the case is more complex than initially thought and the judges decided to postpone the decision by at least one day.

According to Golazo.ro, the verdict will be issued on Saturday or Sunday, because the American Gymnastics Federation and the American Olympic Committee requested a postponement to submit new evidence. The three-judge panel accepted the request, and the Americans had until Friday at 7:00 p.m. to present the list of people they will hear on Saturday, starting at 9:00 a.m. Only after this new series of hearings will the judges put things together and issue a final verdict.

Normally, controversial cases during the Olympics are tried urgently, but the judges probably prefer to delay a final decision to make sure they get the right decision. In addition, the deadline for issuing the verdict is Sunday, before the closing ceremony. It should be noted that TAS will only judge the case, not being able to award medals. As such, if he wins the case, Romania will have to address the International Gymnastics Federation again so that it takes note of the decision of the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

That's not true, the medals will be decided in this trial because FIG is also involved in the process.

"Please enlighten us with this information. If the CAS gives a favorable verdict, is the bronze medal issue automatically solved or do we have to go to the FIG?

No, it is recognized directly. Because the FIG was also a party to the process. The medal will be taken away from the American and given to our athlete or athletes. Or they will give bronze medals to everyone. Or, in an unfortunate case for us, will keep the referees' decision from the competition. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back