FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
But does there even need to be a verbal inquiry if they have paperwork ready to be turned in within one minute? Like just submit the paperwork, no verbal inquiry.
I suppose Romania can only be asking about the verbal enquiry (within one minute) because the enquiry was done and score changed in less than four minutes. So they can't have missed the deadline for the written enquiry.

But does there even need to be a verbal inquiry if they have paperwork ready to be turned in within one minute? Like just submit the paperwork, no verbal inquiry.
The verbal inquiry halts the next gymnast from going up to their routine, while the paperwork is filled out and submitted.

The verbal inquiry halts the next gymnast from going up to their routine, while the paperwork is filled out and submitted.
But how does it work, especially considering that Chiles was the last gymnast in the competition?
Like, they verbally inquire and the judges give them the papers to fill out?
Or, could they have the paperwork done/ready even before Jordan's score was flashed, and turn it in right away, without doing a verbal inquiry?
Or is the verbal inquiry mandatory?

IIRC the verbal inquiry is madatory because it alerts the judging panel that an inquiry WILL be submitted. So the competition is halted because the inquiry must be decided upon before the next gymnast goes. Once verbal inquiry is made it is noted in the scoring system so that the next gymnast does not go and the judges can prepare the video replay. This allows the coaches to complete and submit the paperwork and payment (which is through Venmo now).

Chiles did go last, but the verbal inquiry is announced. The celebrations should not have started. The scoreboard should have shown an inquiry was submitted.
So in Chiles case it was not to halt the next gymnast, but it was to halt people from celebrating before the official final score board is up.

Ana celebrated too early.

ETA: This is why I think FIG should ban podium celebrations until the official final score board is up.

Last edited:
IIRC the verbal inquiry is madatory because it alerts the judging panel that an inquiry WILL be submitted. So the competition is halted because the inquiry must be decided upon before the next gymnast goes. Once verbal inquiry is made it is noted in the scoring system so that the next gymnast does not go and the judges can prepare the video replay. This allows the coaches to complete and submit the paperwork and payment (which is through Venmo now).

Chiles did go last, but the verbal inquiry is announced. The celebrations should not have started. The scoreboard should have shown an inquiry was submitted.
So in Chiles case it was not to halt the next gymnast, but it was to halt people from celebrating before the official final score board is up.

Ana celebrated too early.
Ana claimed the scoreboard didn't show any inquiry, though.
Of course, it might be a mistake made by whoever was in charge of the scoreboard/announcing inquiries.
Guess we'll find out soon. I just can't believe as experienced coaches as Landis would make such a stupid error.

ETA: This is why I think FIG should ban podium celebrations until the official final score board is up.
I believe even the people in the arena said the scoreboard looked like it was final/official.

Last edited:
Ana claimed the scoreboard didn't show any inquiry, though.
Of course, it might be a mistake made by whoever was in charge of the scoreboard/announcing inquiries.
Guess we'll find out soon. I just can't believe as experienced coaches as Landis would make such a stupid error.
Ana did say she could have missed it in the moment, and that she had to rewatch that sequence of events because she got such a shock her mind went blank and she can't remember it directly.

So she wasn't trying to insist it had been late - just explaining why she had thought she could celebrate.

Who said the Landis made a stuoid error? it appears they did everything to protocol and timeline.
Romanians claimed that Cecile (who was the one to inquiry verbally, as Jordan's coach) was nowhere near judges during that one minute, or something along the lines.
But we see Laurent on the video/broadcast coming back to the US group, so we assumed he was going back from turning in the paperwork filled by Cecile. So my perception was that maybe they didn't inquiry verbally and just turned in the paperwork that they already had ready.
But if it is how the events went (and Romanians are right that Cecile was never going to the judges during that critical minute), then they failed to inquire verbally.
Not that I think that's how it went, now when I was assured that the verbal inquiry is mandatory.

Giving two more bronze medals would be ridiculous. There is a clear winner. If Sabrina didn’t step out, and all the paperwork was submitted, then she’s the rightful winner. Letting Jordan keep her bronze keeps ppl happy and is prob the only “right” thing to do. But Ana, lovely as she was, shouldn’t get a bronze bc she was upset when she found out she was 4th. I get she felt confused, but we can’t give medals out based on feelings. She’s lovely.

Giving two more bronze medals would be ridiculous. There is a clear winner. If Sabrina didn’t step out, and all the paperwork was submitted, then she’s the rightful winner. Letting Jordan keep her bronze keeps ppl happy and is prob the only “right” thing to do. But Ana, lovely as she was, shouldn’t get a bronze bc she was upset when she found out she was 4th. I get she felt confused, but we can’t give medals out based on feelings. She’s lovely.
but
If the inquiry was invalid and Voinea did step out of bounds, or they won’t revise it, that would make Barbosu the bronze medalist

Romanians claimed that Cecile (who was the one to inquiry verbally, as Jordan's coach) was nowhere near judges during that one minute, or something along the lines.
But we see Laurent on the video/broadcast coming back to the US group, so we assumed he was going back from turning in the paperwork filled by Cecile. So my perception was that maybe they didn't inquiry verbally and just turned in the paperwork that they already had ready.
But if it is how the events went (and Romanians are right that Cecile was never going to the judges during that critical minute), then they failed to inquire verbally.
Not that I think that's how it went, now when I was assured that the verbal inquiry is mandatory.
Of course the Romanians are going to claim this, they are trying to get a medal(s) out of this. It doesn't have to be Cecile to give the verbal inquiry, btw.

Also is it confirmed that Cecile was there as coach to Chiles? Maybe she was coach to Biles and Laurent was coach to Chiles? They were both on the floor with their athletes.

Enquiries appeared on the screens as a long sentence at the bottom that scrolled horizontally. You had to watch it for quite a while to catch the name of the gymnast concerned. The Romanian enquiry was up for a looong time before they decided. When we noticed the enquiry for Chiles I didn’t think much of it because I didn’t think the Gogean was round in real time (might have been swayed by reputation here). I was shocked when the score was raised so quickly.

ETA
A lot was going on though and I suspect my memory has been messed with from reading so much about it since.

but
If the inquiry was invalid and Voinea did step out of bounds, or they won’t revise it, that would make Barbosu the bronze medalist
I think it was already made clear multiple times that Romanians inquired about Voinea's D but not about ND.
I am all for Barbosu the bronze medalist, though I don't think it will happen (and maybe better so, the Voinea mob might go after her if it happened).

ETA: there are also speculations on Twitter that it was actually Voinea's big toe that brushed the OOB mat when she turned. While it's clear from the NBC(?) footage that her heel stayed in bounds, it's possible that her big toe actually did touch the OOB mat (I rewatched and can't say).

Last edited:
Of course the Romanians are going to claim this, they are trying to get a medal(s) out of this. It doesn't have to be Cecile to give the verbal inquiry, btw.

Also is it confirmed that Cecile was there as coach to Chiles? Maybe she was coach to Biles and Laurent was coach to Chiles? They were both on the floor with their athletes.
There is no ambiguity regarding who is there to coach who. Cecile is accredited as Jordan’s coach, Laurent is not

Ok cool thanks!

So Laurent could make the verbal inquiry and Cecile would submit the paperwork.
The verbal inquiry I don’t believe is part of any official process. The paperwork needs to be signed off by the coach of the gymnast. Anyone can deliver it and make the payment. Sanne Wevers and Aliya Mustafina have effectively submitted their own inquiries, they completed the form, the coach signed it and delivered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back