FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s both. You shouldn’t get the extra credit for attempting the skill if you can’t compete the required rotations of the skill. .
Well if the deductions are severe enough for under rotating, then it won’t be worth it.

Another unfortunate part is that I think the WTC set this up to happen eventually by making rules about not pausing in the corners and having to directly go into a tumbling pass. There's no reason gymnasts should have to swing their leg around before running into a tumbling pass.
Agreed! Especially when it's totally okay for the men to stand there for a second and breathe before a death-defying pass.

Dumb question. Could Voinea actually tell if she stepped out of bounds? She was looking ahead to start her tumbling pass, not down at her feet. Would she have known she stayed inbounds and needed to inquire?

Dumb question. Could Voinea actually tell if she stepped out of bounds? She was looking ahead to start her tumbling pass, not down at her feet. Would she have known she stayed inbounds and needed to inquire?
She wouldn't have known 100% for sure. Just a sense.

I just rewatched the final. Chiles change in score was posted 2 minutes after her original score, so inquiry would have to have been filed on time. Also about 30 seconds after her original score was posted Laurent can be seen walking back to the group, assuming coming from filing.

They train their choreographies so that they don't go OOB before going for their tumbling run. It would be a stupid mistake to make unless they lose their balance or something, which didn't happen.

And while there does seem to be an inquiry system in place for it, I just find it unreasonable to expect 1 coach to watch all 4 corners of the floor from the one place and at a poor viewpoint to know whether those calls are wrong. All while also watching the routine to see if the D score needs challenged too.
But this is not how it works. The coaches on the floor are not alone on this. The inquiry has to be made by one of them but they are rarely left to make this decision by themselves.

Every federation has other coaches/judges/officials sitting in the audience. Usually the judge not on the floor makes the call to file an inquiry. If a federation has all judges on the floor, there usually is some cooperation between some federations and someone makes that call.

Does anyone else lack the mental fortitude for this situation? I have nothing left in the jar now. If I'd known what was going to happen I'd have paced myself better.
I was going to write a similar comment but didn’t because I lacked the mental energy even for that. I have just shut down over this whole thing at this point.

At least Sabrina decided to return to gymnastics after quitting a few days ago with her mom. Now she wants to convince her mom to coach her again:) I will never forget how Mom Voinea looked like she sold her lips to the devil.
Also, Sabrina said that the judges showed her a picture when her heel was outside the lines, but she claims that it's an old picture from the team finals or the first day of qualifications.

Does anyone else lack the mental fortitude for this situation? I have nothing left in the jar now. If I'd known what was going to happen I'd have paced myself better.
Exactly, the Olympics are almost over and we're still dealing with this situation. It's a lot when I just want to enjoy the final days of competition.

Yeah, I can't be bothered to get too invested in the drama. The rules and regulations absolutely need to be reviewed and revised to ensure that it doesn't happen again, but arguing online about what has already happened seems like a moot point to me. It reminds me of the dudes who jump up from their armchairs and yell until they are red in the face at the football referee on tv for making a bad call during the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back