FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Jordan and I really wanted her to medal but not like this. I feel so sorry for Ana and Voinea.
I don't care that the bronze was prematurely celebrated. I don't care that in a largely subjective sport, and that there is a disputed bronze medalist And I think it reasonable human error to believe that Voinea stepped OOB before that double layout. That is the nature of sports.

Having said all that, the focus should be taken off for athletes, because none of this is their fault, and onto the governing bodies. It is beyond embarrassing that at the absolute highest level of competition, there aren't more checks on the objective (e.g. ND) deductions.

It looks as if the US got it in very fast indeed if the score changed in less than two minutes! They would need 90 seconds just to watch the routine, wouldn't they?
I don't think they needed to watch the whole routine, just the one element inquired.

I have to think that if Barboso was somehow awarded the bronze, the Sabrina crowd would then just spew their venom toward her.
Because Sabrina was groomed to be the star of Romanian gymnastics and usher in a new era of Romania being a regular feature on the medal podiums. Aside from Brazil and Italy stepping up in a big way, Barbosu was outperforming Sabrina and, to quote the meme, they took that personally.

So if they had to watch the whole routine after the inquiry was submitted, then it's beyond doubt that it was submitted right after the score was flashed. I imagine Cecile standing there by wherever she was supposed to file an inquiry, papers ready in her hands.
Case closed.

So if they had to watch the whole routine after the inquiry was submitted, then it's beyond doubt that it was submitted right after the score was flashed. I imagine Cecile standing there by wherever she was supposed to file an inquiry, papers ready in her hands.
Case closed.
They can just show the paperwork. No drama or guessing needed. The time is noted as part of the process.

My biggest take away is the OOB and inquiry system needs an overhaul.

This Olympics has shown they can't be trusted to accurately judge an OOB or give the accurate penalty. And while there does seem to be an inquiry system in place for it, I just find it unreasonable to expect 1 coach to watch all 4 corners of the floor from the one place and at a poor viewpoint to know whether those calls are wrong. All while also watching the routine to see if the D score needs challenged too.

We should have the technology available to accurately show if someone goes OOB and use that to determine penalties before the score is given.

My biggest take away is the OOB and inquiry system needs an overhaul.

This Olympics has shown they can't be trusted to accurately judge an OOB or give the accurate penalty. And while there does seem to be an inquiry system in place for it, I just find it unreasonable to expect 1 coach to watch all 4 corners of the floor from the one place and at a poor viewpoint to know whether those calls are wrong. All while also watching the routine to see if the D score needs challenged too.

We should have the technology available to accurately show if someone goes OOB and use that to determine penalties before the score is given.
A person sitting on a chair in each corner holding a flag seemed to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back