FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't "imperfect". It is simply not how their own rules work. And it's demonstrable, again, if the nd is the oob. I still have to hear an argument against this other than "oh well, shit happens". At least Paul Hamm in 2004 was an argument over did the Korean do this or that actually. There is no argument here. This isn't good for the sport.

I don't know what's being contested in tennis, but I'm sure if it's a line call, the argument is, you cannot know how it impacted the rest of the match. It's like Khorkina in Sidney, where it's shit but at the same time everyone knows it won't happen cause it would have to be a re-do. There is no argument against this, afaik. If there had been a tie, they would have given two medals just like in HB. At the very least have one made and give it to Sabrina.
Yes, I think at this point the least worst option would be another bronze. I don't know what the practicalities of achieving that are, but this is farcical.
Deduct for skills performed so poorly the computer can't identify them...
Sounds like a challenge. We'd all be going through the entirety of Youtube to feed it things that would make it malfunction. I call Zamo's DLO in Athens.

If anything FIG needs to have an overhead camera of the floor mat.
The line judge raises the flag, but then reviews the video to confirm it was indeed an out of bounds. It is an easy solution. Just like they review for D score, double check the OOB.

I also think a rule should be in place for climbing onto the podium before the results are actually official.

Why oh why couldn't Chiles have just stood up one of her double layout passes properly and spared us this
In real time I thought the tumbling landings were bad enough relative to her other routines that the score wouldn’t be close to troubling the medals. That said, I haven’t managed to rewatch anything so I might not properly remember her quals/TF routine.

In real time I thought the tumbling landings were bad enough relative to her other routines that the score wouldn’t be close to troubling the medals. That said, I haven’t managed to rewatch anything so I might not properly remember her quals/TF routine.
Oh these judges in Paris were loving Jordan Chiles so I knew it would be close. If she had stuck the double layouts cold, we might be looking at a surprise Olympic champion due to Andrade's big lunge back on the double pike (and Biles throwing a party in the OOBs).

For sure, but he's a politician, and barbosu's image is probably everywhere in Romania so he probably has to at least pretend. Even though it's probably only confusing and it would be better to protest voinea
Yup. Voinea makes the most sense to be upset about since because of the ND but Barbosu gives the tug-at-the-heartstrings visual you want to use to rile people up.

Oh these judges in Paris were loving Jordan Chiles so I knew it would be close. If she had stuck the double layouts cold, we might be looking at a surprise Olympic champion due to Andrade's big lunge back on the double pike (and Biles throwing a party in the OOBs).
I do remember thinking before Jordan went up, this isn't completely out of the question.

They absolutely wanted her to hit cold and go gold

I just looked at the Gogean for the first time since watching it live. It wasn’t even close.

Jordan shouldn’t have been given it.

It also appears Sabrina shouldn’t have been given the 0.1 OOB, either.

As much as I absolutely detest Sabrina’s gymnastics, and I think she was overscored on E, this looks like a rather “drop the ball” moment in the heat of an Olympic Event Final. Especially to people who don’t particularly follow gymnastics.

I can see a judge making a mistake judging in real time. But you’d think they’d be less likely to on rewatch.

Yup. Voinea makes the most sense to be upset about since because of the ND but Barbosu gives the tug-at-the-heartstrings visual you want to use to rile people up.
Barbosu was also wronged by giving credit for an element that wasn’t complete.

I believe I read somewhere the Romanian government is going to pay them like bronze medalists. 60k euros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back