FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
FX Judges.png

That’s interesting that the time and line judges are all from France. I am assuming they don’t need nearly the categorization that the other judges need?

Her heel went out before her double layout pass. So the ND wasn't on a landing.

I just casually judged the routine and while the judges' view is better than mine, I landed at exactly a 13.7 first time through (including the ND for the heel out).

It frosts my cookies that we care this much about whether a Gogean is fully rotated, but don’t care about the split.
Was Gina Gogean on the floor with the team or does she only coach the Juniors? I was wondering if she went up to the judges herself and pulled a Nabieva to say “It’s not Gogean!”.

Her heel went out before her double layout pass. So the ND wasn't on a landing.

I just casually judged the routine and while the judges' view is better than mine, I landed at exactly a 13.7 first time through (including the ND for the heel out).

Her heel did not go out before the DLO.

Because the only thing an inquiry changes is D score. There is no mechanism to reevaluate E or ND.

It isn't right but those are the current rules.
The rules say she gets 0.1 if she steps out. She didn't. That's not her fault. She appealed. They should have looked at it.

When Jordan went up the appeal hadn't taken place, so she would have always known exactly the same as she did when she went and did that exact routine.

There really is no way out of this one but to say, I'm happy for Jordan cause I like it better even though this is blatantly unfair. Still your prerogative of course

I thought there was an OOB called in the men’s floor final that also involved a heel that didn’t touch the ground, but I’ve already forgotten who this was.

Really a pathetic day of judging to go along with all the gymnastics issues today.
That was zapata but I have to say, in his case it could be that he just stepped for a moment on it. Also not a big issue since he was 7th on the final

The timer on the boards around the arena are not red when she ends her routine, still orange for being between 1:20-1:30. She runs by one of the boards at the very end and it's at 1:23, she finishes a leap and does her end pose immediately after. It's maybe 2 seconds from the time the board said 1:23. Definitely wasn't overtime.

The clock stopped at 1:29. Close but not over. No ND there.

They told Lieke Wevers' story during the Dutch AA broadcast. She got a 0,3 ND what should have been a 0,1. She wasn't able to protest, because it's not allowed on ND. Afterwards, she did (informally I think) protest and provided proof (video material). The response: "you are right, it should have been a 0,1 ND instead of 0,3. But you are too late now, so we're not going to do anything about it." Like, what do you want them to do, FIG?

Edit: it cost her the AA final

Didn't Verona van de Leer have a similar issue (oob that hadn't happened) at 2002 euros FX final? They never changed the result though.
She did indeed. Flag went up as she stood in the corner for the last pass and the crowd booed/whistled. Her coach tried to dissuade the line judge as they walked to submit their paper form. Video evidence showed that she didn’t step out but it was 9.4 instead of a tie for gold with Kvasha.

Why has the FIG not released a statement on this? It's ridiculous - there are rumours floating around about an OOB, about the routine being overtime, the judges having a separate timer, etc. Why can't they just clearly communicate the reason for the ND?

Why has the FIG not released a statement on this? It's ridiculous - there are rumours floating around about an OOB, about the routine being overtime, the judges having a separate timer, etc. Why can't they just clearly communicate the reason for the ND?

FIG will attempt to bury this as long as they can to not catch the attention of the IOC.

How far it goes depends on how much of a stir Romania is willing to kick up.

It really is unacceptable that they haven’t explained this. I hope that’s on the to-do list for today.

I imagine this is going to CAS, and rightfully so. Just because the inquiry rules don’t support challenging an OOB on the field of play doesn’t mean that applying an inappropriate deduction is okay.

Better tech would be great, but relatively simple tools can be given to judges without the whole robot judge thing (which I expect to be a disaster). It would be very simple to put cameras on the corners for the line judges so they can actually see.

The dance passage requirement is a classic example of a well intentioned rule by the WTC that fails to produce the desired quality of gymnastics. If you think of some of the great Soviet floor routines from the 1980s, they essentially contain this element only with far more actual dance, but simpler dance elements. In reading the language from the 2006 WTC newsletter at the time, it is clear that the rule was trying to 'codify' and encourage this. For example, the 'large flowing and traveling movement' description is similar to a composition deduction in the 1985-1988 COP for lack of a gymnastic passage covering great distance.
Definitely seems like a great failure because it takes more time and effort to set up more difficult leaps.

It really is unacceptable that they haven’t explained this. I hope that’s on the to-do list for today.

I imagine this is going to CAS, and rightfully so. Just because the inquiry rules don’t support challenging an OOB on the field of play doesn’t mean that applying an inappropriate deduction is okay.

Better tech would be great, but relatively simple tools can be given to judges without the whole robot judge thing (which I expect to be a disaster). It would be very simple to put cameras on the corners for the line judges so they can actually see.
Yeeeep. It seems Nadia is closely engaged so that may force the FIG’s hand.

Surely all you have to do is specify in the rules that line judges must be located within X metres of each corner? Clearly the sensor-based system has failed QA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back