FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sort of surprised with all the technology out there that there isn’t some sort of laser or sensor system built into the floor that gets triggered when someone steps out of bounds. Not sure how the technology of that would work but there has to be something better than relying on human error af this point.

I wonder if it was an overtime for Voinea.

The timer on the boards around the arena are not red when she ends her routine, still orange for being between 1:20-1:30. She runs by one of the boards at the very end and it's at 1:23, she finishes a leap and does her end pose immediately after. It's maybe 2 seconds from the time the board said 1:23. Definitely wasn't overtime.

And you can't say what would or would not happen with different scores. Maybe Jordan would have one less step knowing she needed to be even more perfect (maybe she would have splatted from nervousness, no one can say.)
I mean, I'm pretty sure she was still trying to be perfect regardless of the Romanian's scores to get the gold. A 14.2 was within her reach with a great routine, and that would have put her over Andrade and Biles.

The timer on the boards around the arena are not red when she ends her routine, still orange for being between 1:20-1:30. She runs by one of the boards at the very end and it's at 1:23, she finishes a leap and does her end pose immediately after. It's maybe 2 seconds from the time the board said 1:23. Definitely wasn't overtime.
So does the FIG reissue a second bronze? I mean this is a huge error.

I’m sort of surprised with all the technology out there that there isn’t some sort of laser or sensor system built into the floor that gets triggered when someone steps out of bounds. Not sure how the technology of that would work but there has to be something better than relying on human error af this point.
Was sensor system trialled at 1994 Dortmund Worlds and Milosovici double layout triggered an OOBs but it was just during the air? And Belu have to tell the judges not to take the deduction? Can anyone else remember the details?

I wonder where the line judge was sitting. Could the judge have thought the left foot touched out of bounds when she brought it around?

The line judges SHOULD be sitting at the corners and not up on the wall to make the arena look minimalist or whatever the reason is for sticking them up there. If they were sitting right behind that corner it would have been easy to see she wasn't out.

Last edited:
Also what was the motivation for a leap series with steps in between instead of a connected leap pass? I hated it in 2008. I still hate it now.

The dance passage requirement is a classic example of a well intentioned rule by the WTC that fails to produce the desired quality of gymnastics. If you think of some of the great Soviet floor routines from the 1980s, they essentially contain this element only with far more actual dance, but simpler dance elements. In reading the language from the 2006 WTC newsletter at the time, it is clear that the rule was trying to 'codify' and encourage this. For example, the 'large flowing and traveling movement' description is similar to a composition deduction in the 1985-1988 COP for lack of a gymnastic passage covering great distance.

If there was a neutral deductions error for Sabrina Voinea and she should be bronze medal - I wonder if FIG will send Jordan Chiles a “Paul Hamm letter” asking Jordan to return the medal.

Is this a case of if it’s within so many degrees, it’s considered complete? I’m just trying to figure out how they came to their conclusion. Do they watch it in slo-mo? Frame by frame? Or just go with general vibes?

From Article 9.2.2 of the COP - For leaps, jumps, and hops with turn:

- Under turning of more than 30 degrees results in another element from the COP being credited. Also note that the position of the shoulders and hips are what decides the completeness of the rotation.

Inquiries are reviewed in real time.

I will post some scripts in the judging thread over the next few days. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back