FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Well it was even more screwed up than first known! The result for Rebecca and Simone still feels correct and Simone agrees with it instead of what could have been.

It definitely further points out how incompetent FIG is.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs on the day and ignoring what could happen next, here’s an emotional question for everyone…

Who would you rather be, Chiles or Barbosu?

Would you rather have the thrill of receiving your medal on the day and the memories of the medal ceremony, despite the bronze being taken away at a later date…

or

Would you prefer to have a medal in and then out of your grasp on the day but have an individual ceremony and be the bronze medalist in the record books?

I don’t know. I’d rather be Raducan than Amanar but for this case I go back and forth.

season 6 episode 25 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I was listening to a baseball radio show today and during the general sports hour they said Netflix had footage proving that only 47 seconds passed before Cecile appealed.

Now, these radio personalities don't care too much about Olympic sport so I'm not sure how accurate this info is and I am curious if anyone else can confirm this.

I can't remember if I've said this before, but the fact that Jordan's appeal was not immediately rejected as being too late but the FIG/IOC is trying to retroactively take the medal away over the alleged lateness of the appeal is ridiculous. If appeals happening within precisely 60 seconds is so critical then the officials on the competition floor should be hyper aware of exactly how many seconds have passed before accepting the petition.

It is amazingly unlucky (as well as stupid).

Please don't hate me for this. I certainly don't hate Jordan. But I don't think that video is going to make any difference.

Depending whether you count the enquiry from the start of Cecile's speech or the end, the enquiry comes between 47 seconds and 1 minute 1 second after the score appears on the TV screen.

But everything is over 20 seconds off the times listed for the Omega report, which started the clock with the official score 20 seconds later. It probably doesn't matter too much that the times are different, but without being able to show that the start time synchronizes with the Omega system, I don't see how this can be used to challenge Omega timings with the margin so tight.

(If Cecile is inquiring at 47, it seems open and shut. If she's inquiring (?still) at 57 or 59 or until she stops speaking at 61, whether the right starting time according to Omega was used makes a difference. And it is hard to see CAS substituting the video footage of score flashing up for Omega timing).

This feels like a worst of all worlds where any legal response is likely to look unjust. Cecile is literally repeating Jordan's name at 59 seconds on the US audio. What were the chances??

It is amazingly unlucky (as well as stupid).

Please don't hate me for this. I certainly don't hate Jordan. But I don't think that video is going to make any difference.

Depending whether you count the enquiry from the start of Cecile's speech or the end, the enquiry comes between 47 seconds and 1 minute 1 second after the score appears on the TV screen.

But everything is over 20 seconds off the times listed for the Omega report, which started the clock with the official score 20 seconds later. It probably doesn't matter too much that the times are different, but without being able to show that the start time synchronizes with the Omega system, I don't see how this can be used to challenge Omega timings with the margin so tight.

(If Cecile is inquiring at 47, it seems open and shut. If she's inquiring (?still) at 57 or 59 or until she stops speaking at 61, whether the right starting time according to Omega was used makes a difference. And it is hard to see CAS substituting the video footage of score flashing up for Omega timing).

This feels like a worst of all worlds where any legal response is likely to look unjust. Cecile is literally repeating Jordan's name at 59 seconds on the US audio. What were the chances??
If they don't use the posting of the score in the arena, then that would mean that Cecile would have less than a minute to make the inquiry, because that is how she and Jordan discovered the score.

Also she asked for the inquiry three times, and then appears to have to explain it to the person doing the registering.

If they don't use the posting of the score in the arena, then that would mean that Cecile would have less than a minute to make the inquiry, because that is how she and Jordan discovered the score.

Also she asked for the inquiry three times, and then appears to have to explain it to the person doing the registering.

That is fair. I don't think we see the score posted though, just flashed up on the TV screen, but I could be wrong and it is out there somewhere. Just like we don't see who Cecile is talking to until the end.

Obviously that wouldn't matter if it didn't all come down to seconds.

I was absolutely gobsmacked when Jordan's appeal was accepted.

Simone's Gogean was pretty much around (hips and shoulders):

1726760419200.png

Switch Full, less so:

1726760503081.png

And yet, THIS got credit on appeal:

1726760624856.png

Did we ever find out which of the Gogean/Switch Full the D panel didn't credit?

The silver lining is that robo-judging D Scores (and OOB) will now come in. Let the machine make the call. It has cleared up a lot of the issues in Tennis.

The FIG started using video replay because judges outright missed one of Yang Tae-young's skills during the 2004 Olympics all-around. Gymnasts/coaches are using it to dispute skills that were so poorly executed that they didn't receive credit. The FIG shouldn't tolerate it, but they do.

I was absolutely gobsmacked when Jordan's appeal was accepted.

Simone's Gogean was pretty much around (hips and shoulders):

View attachment 11215

Switch Full, less so:

View attachment 11216

And yet, THIS got credit on appeal:

View attachment 11217

Did we ever find out which of the Gogean/Switch Full the D panel didn't credit?
Same. It would've been one thing if they'd credited it initially having been over-generous across the board. But this?!

The silver lining is that robo-judging D Scores (and OOB) will now come in. Let the machine make the call. It has cleared up a lot of the issues in Tennis.

But wouldn't robo scoring have given Sabrina Voinea the incorrect oob as well?

The robo oob scoring has given a lot of incorrect decisions in the long jump I noticed in Paris compared to the old plasticine strips.

Maybe they should just move judges back into the field of play. grumble grumble grumble.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back