FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I've been watching gymnastics since the great days of the 70's. In the field of play (actually a couple of minutes after play finished) an American gymnast came out on top of a close and controversial call. After the Olympics, I tend to move onto other sports and I don't really burden myself with medal tallies. Are there many instances of American gymnasts coming out on the wrong end of close calls? (I got permabanned on reddit for asking this question and I know they did me a favour.)
There are some, certainly, the most notorious being Shannon Miller's vault score and subsequent silver medal placement in Barcelona. I also remember some hullabaloo over Nastia Liukin coming in second on bars in 2008, though I don't think that one is actually considered controversial. Americans have also come out on top in some controversies, most notably Paul Hamm in 2004. So it goes both ways.

I don't think you could really reasonably argue that there is an anti-American bias in judging (though there might be some bias in the FIG against the more powerful style of gymnastics exhibited by the American women these days). Not since the end of the Soviet era, anyway.

Oh, and congrats on your permaban, by the way.

Last edited:
With liukin on bars, I think it was more the idea of false ages of the Chinese and also that she lost the tiebreaker for the gold. Same with Paul, he lost gold on hb due to a tiebreaker

I've been watching gymnastics since the great days of the 70's. In the field of play (actually a couple of minutes after play finished) an American gymnast came out on top of a close and controversial call. After the Olympics, I tend to move onto other sports and I don't really burden myself with medal tallies. Are there many instances of American gymnasts coming out on the wrong end of close calls? (I got permabanned on reddit for asking this question and I know they did me a favour.)
Yes there are some, albeit usually against a gymnast from another top programme or even another American.

In addition to those mentioned, Jade Carey narrowly and controversially lost the world vault title to Maria Paseka in 2017. Aly Raisman missed out on the Olympic AA bronze on a tiebreaker to Mustafina in 2012, although whether she deserved to have got the same score as Aliya in the first place is a different discussion again. Then there's the whole Kara Eaker situation with the rings in 2019.

The US do come out ahead on a lot of close calls, but then part of this is that US athletes are more likely to be in finals and contending for medals in the first place. So we notice that in a way that we might not if eg the 11th ranked country kept getting 20th place finishes in the AA when they should've been 21sts.

With liukin on bars, I think it was more the idea of false ages of the Chinese and also that she lost the tiebreaker for the gold. Same with Paul, he lost gold on hb due to a tiebreaker
I didn't even know that about the HB final. I was thinking about the AA, where Hamm was the beneficiary of a start value error for another gymnast.

I mean, she who shall not be name's scores did put soviet overscoring to shame sometimes. But I don't think you can argue it's pro American bias more than, you know, leading nation bonus?
A lot of American floor routines are not as heavily penalised on lack of artistry as they should be.

But also, the artistry criteria isn’t artistry

It doesn’t say they’re trying to amend Voinea’s inquiry, it said they were arguing that the technology that they used to decide she was OOB was at fault.

It specifically says the FRG sees the inquiry and the camera issue as two separate issues.
I actually do see this point, in a way.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back