FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Can you please elaborate? What did she have to do with the vertical cameras?
The main argument from FIG regarding the vertical cameras not working properly was that Voinea didn't make the inquiry regarding the 0.1 penalty.

I think what gets me is the Romanian federation wants to use a technicality (over 1 minute) to dispute Jordan’s inquiry, but then says a technicality regarding Voinea’s OOB not being inquired upon is not okay. You can’t have it both ways.
The Jordan inquiry is about a technicality(fault of the coach). But the Voinea case is about the camera system they used in the first place to detect her heel going outside. That was a false positive. This proves that the system they used(vertical cameras) to detect these sort of errors is faulty and will give you unreliable results. They are completely different issues.

Much to learn, you still have
Understand Captain America GIF

The Jordan inquiry is about a technicality(fault of the coach). But the Voinea case is about the camera system they used in the first place to detect her heel going outside. That was a false positive. This proves that the system they used(vertical cameras) to detect these sort of errors is faulty and will give you unreliable results. They are completely different issues.
Exactly. They are 2 completely separate issues. Voinea will get nowhere with hers. They are using the the fact that Voinea lies between Barbosu and Chiles to try to get 2 bronze medals for Romania out of this

It’s saying the Omega video used at this competition was only overhead cameras.

The dispute isn’t whether the call was made by video, obviously it was because the line judges weren’t on the floor.

The FRG is arguing that using only overhead cameras to provide the line judges with video is bad technology. They’re saying the problem was with Omega.

2023 Worlds used Longines Swiss timing.

2024 Olympics used Omega timing.

ETA: They’re not going to get a medal for Voinea out of it because it’s already been ruled that they won’t. They’re just stating that this was what they appealed, the technology, but the FIG said it doesn’t matter because you didn’t inquire about the ND. FRG sees the inquiry as a separate issue from the camera issue, CAS/FIG put the two issues together as the same and rejected it. The interview is informing us that this happened.

Last edited:
Taking the next step in performance data, OMEGA will be tracking athletes and other objects throughout the events at Paris 2024 – in order to provide interesting and useful sets of metrics. Computer Vision uses a combination of single or multi-camera systems, each feeding Artificial Intelligence models that are specifically trained for each sport.

As in previous years, this live data will tell the comprehensive story of a whole event, revealing how it was won or lost, and the critical moments that led to an athlete’s final result. The infor-mation gathered by OMEGA will allow for in-depth sporting analysis, and no longer requires physical tags attached to the athletes.

The possibilities of this technology are endless. From enhanced viewing experiences for TV audiences, through to replay tools to support judgement calls, and even to generate official results. We are now seeing the Olympic Games in every detail.

This is how Computer Vision will be used at Paris 2024​

in Gymnastics

During floor routines, OMEGA’s multi-camera system will track the athletes and pro-duce useful metrics for judges and TV enhancement.
For example, showing whether the athlete left the allowed area marked by lines, or showing the height and airtime of a jump. Thanks to AI-based skeleton tracking, even the angles of an athlete’s feet can be detected, providing in-depth analysis during a jump rotation.

Omega has been used at the Olympics before but this ComputerVision AI skeleton scanning system they implemented is new.

Fujitsu’s AI system was introduced in Tokyo 2021, unsure if that’s the same thing Omega was using here.

ETA: it says on Omega’s site that the Scan ‘O’ Vision Ultimate cameras are being used for the first time in Paris.

Last edited:
I mean, yeah, it's true that the judge sees the video and makes the decision. But now we have AI and the AI system will show the judge "look, there is an error here, the heel was outside", but it was outside in the air only. It's a different game now in which judges are being influenced by AI. And it is a garbage AI technology.

No sport is adopting this strategy more than gymnastics. In 2023, the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) employed a new Judging Support System (JSS) to capture the movements of gymnastics and evaluate them based on the sports rule book. After its success at the most recent world championships, the JSS will be making its debut at its first Olympic Games in France.

London 2012 Olympic gymnast and Tech.co Managing Editor, Jennifer McIlveen, has been impressed by the development of Fujitsu’s JSS Software and is looking forward to seeing how it may assist judges and spectators during the Paris 2024 Games.

“Fine margins in the angle of a handstand or degree to which a gymnast shows splits could be the difference between a gold or silver medal winning score. So, to have technology help ensure fair decisions in this blink-and-you’ll-miss-it sport, can give both competitors and fans more confidence in the results.” – Jennifer McIlveen OLY, Tech.co Editor and Olympian

I've been watching gymnastics since the great days of the 70's. In the field of play (actually a couple of minutes after play finished) an American gymnast came out on top of a close and controversial call. After the Olympics, I tend to move onto other sports and I don't really burden myself with medal tallies. Are there many instances of American gymnasts coming out on the wrong end of close calls? (I got permabanned on reddit for asking this question and I know they did me a favour.)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back