FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Camera's constantly on one spot, no cuts or lagging. So if feed is delayed, there's still 45 seconds from beginning to end.

But if someone can point to arena or TV footage with just 40 seconds, I'd be interested.
Broadcast feed isn’t used in appeals, because there is always a delay. That’s why it isn’t immediately clear and USOC didn’t initially have the footage they now have. Otherwise they’d have just got the footage from nbc

Broadcast feed isn’t used in appeals, because there is always a delay. That’s why it isn’t immediately clear and USOC didn’t initially have the footage they now have. Otherwise they’d have just got the footage from nbc
There's a delay between real time and what you see.

There isn't a delay between two points in the footage. So 45 seconds is 45 seconds.

Try watching floor routines and their timers, for example. They last as long on broadcast as in arena.

NBC didn't show footage of the enquiry.

There's a delay between real time and what you see.

There isn't a delay between two points in the footage. So 45 seconds is 45 seconds.

Try watching floor routines and their timers, for example. They last as long on broadcast as in arena.

NBC didn't show footage of the enquiry.
They didn’t broadcast it, but it’s likely that their additional cameras will have captured it

Ana has a very cleverly choreographed routine that plays to her strengths. Her coaches were tweaking it right up to Olympics and added difficulty. Her artistry and form in air are strong, and she has some high scoring connections.

Nobody has disputed her D score, which was towards the higher end of her range. She has sometimes done triple wolf which would have raised it.

Jordan's team final routine was much better than her event final routine. Ana had her best day on events final day. These things happen or sports would be boring

There's nothing suspect about Ana's score. There's quite a gap between Simone and Rebeca and the rest of the field, but that isn't surprising.

Editing to add: your language about judges being suddenly generous to Ana could be read as an accusation. But that wasn't an exceptionally high score. There were four gymnasts still to come (D'Amato, Biles, Voinea, Chiles) who could be expected to beat it on a good day. Well Biles could beat it on her worst day, as we saw!
Thank you for explaining , I am more knowledgeable about figure skating tbh, and in FS, previous results count. It is not often someone gets Olympic medal not being a world medalist or at least European champion (eg Adelina Sotnikova caused major upset). Ana never even medalled at euros so it felt odd to me. And also the fact that Jordan inquiry was quickly accepted on the element which was done no better than at previous events where it was not credited. It felt like judges had some miscalculation and were themselves surprised with Ana’s third place and jumped on the chance to correct the standings. I am not looking for some conspiracy here, just saying judging did not feel right even before the whole drama began. But as I said I might be influenced by FS ‘rules’ here.

Thank you for explaining , I am more knowledgeable about figure skating tbh, and in FS, previous results count. It is not often someone gets Olympic medal not being a world medalist or at least European champion (eg Adelina Sotnikova caused major upset). Ana never even medalled at euros so it felt odd to me. And also the fact that Jordan inquiry was quickly accepted on the element which was done no better than at previous events where it was not credited. It felt like judges had some miscalculation and were themselves surprised with Ana’s third place and jumped on the chance to correct the standings. I am not looking for some conspiracy here, just saying judging did not feel right even before the whole drama began. But as I said I might be influenced by FS ‘rules’ here.

I can see why you asked, but jury fixing a surprise result that way would be unexpected. There was .1 in it either way, so it really wasn't a surprising result.

Ana is young and they are pacing gymnasts better now. The Dutch coaches' technique seems to have been to reel back the difficult single elements, build artistry and connections, and then add some difficulty back in.

They've been pacing for the Olympics. Ana's weakest performances this year were at Euros, for whatever reason!

Why can't people be happy for Jordan Ana?
The judges have a picture of Sabrina going OOB. No they don't.
Team USA have a video proving the inquiry was made after 47 seconds. No they don't.
On appeal, Jordan was credited for the Gogean. Yes, but she shouldn't have been. If only Sabrina had been given a score of 13.8, all the aftermath could have been avoided.
Are you not entertained?

Black Woman What GIF by Holly Logan

I don't think that Camelia realised that Sabrina hadn't gone oob until well after the competition. It looked like she did in real time and it was only well afterwards that a slow motion replay showed that the heel didn't touch. So she made a mistake in not inquiring it.

I think a lot of the issues are due to the battles between the 2 camps within Romania. Neither camp wanted the other to come away with Romania's only medal - which is why they fought to get 2 Romanian bronzes with different scores.

What is happening with Sabrina? Has she actually retired or was it a flounce by her mother? Did Nadia ever give her a medal?

Yeah, it’s Sabrina I feel most sorry for. All injured & broken at just 17 with the weight of expectations of own federation & whole country on her shoulders and an unstable mother for a coach ! What a day it was in her young life- first to crash any chance of medal by falling not once but twice off the beam and then to pull herself together for floor final (it must be tough to go after Simone!) give it all and had all the hopes crushed second time in a single day. Re Nadia I think that gesture though kindly meant bringing no comfort to Sabrina. I hope she will get a chance of redemption at Worlds

What has Andy Memmel done to gain a positive impression with people? He coached his daughter, who won a World title on UB without his help. I’ve seen him make comments on Instagram before, but I forget what they were about. To me, he just seems like another coach with a huge ego.

The US would presumably also be able to get access to any footage from the cameras following Simone for the documentary. And Cecile and Laurent were presumably mic'ed for that
Not sure about that though it's possible. The two episodes I've seen show hardly any podium footage and the only mic'ed up coach I recall so far has been Bela Karolyi. It is more private life / behind the scenes than fly-on-the-wall. And all music and voiceovers. I was hoping for something geekier!

If Cecile knew they had records of this quality she would surely have asked for time to retrieve that evidence. She'd have a right to do that.

I don't think that Camelia realised that Sabrina hadn't gone oob until well after the competition. It looked like she did in real time and it was only well afterwards that a slow motion replay showed that the heel didn't touch. So she made a mistake in not inquiring it.

I think a lot of the issues are due to the battles between the 2 camps within Romania. Neither camp wanted the other to come away with Romania's only medal - which is why they fought to get 2 Romanian bronzes with different scores.

What is happening with Sabrina? Has she actually retired or was it a flounce by her mother? Did Nadia ever give her a medal?
Sabrina announced she wasn't retiring before the appeal was heard. At that stage, she said she was asking her mother to come out of her retirement and coach her again.

Nadia has said she'll give her the medal now on condition she returns it when she wins her own.

Jordan is NOT responsible for her mother's illegal actions.
I never said that Jordan is/was responsible for ANY of her mother's actions. I was making a response regarding Andy Memmel's statement implying that Ana Barbosu somehow 'cheated'. I merely pointed out that Karma has come back to 'bite' Gina Chiles in a hard way - maybe now she knows how it feels when the perception is that something has been stolen from someone you love. I cannot categorically say that Ana Barbosu DID NOT cheat, but it is public record that Gina Chiles was arrested, convicted and subsequently sentenced to prison time for embezzling (cheating) her clients out of over $1,000, 000.00 that I'm hopeful that they worked hard for.

I actually have admiration for all of the athletes involved as they have all had to overcome many versions of hardships to get them to the pinnacle of competing the OG and making an EF, only to have their moment tarnished by something a group of supposed responsible individuals who erred in a big way, and were/are only interested in saving their own skins, and/or making themselves out to be the saviors of the moment.

I never said that Jordan is/was responsible for ANY of her mother's actions. I was making a response regarding Andy Memmel's statement implying that Ana Barbosu somehow 'cheated'. I merely pointed out that Karma has come back to 'bite' Gina Chiles in a hard way - maybe now she knows how it feels when the perception is that something has been stolen from someone you love. I cannot categorically say that Ana Barbosu DID NOT cheat, but it is public record that Gina Chiles was arrested, convicted and subsequently sentenced to prison time for embezzling (cheating) her clients out of over $1,000, 000.00 that I'm hopeful that they worked hard for.

I actually have admiration for all of the athletes involved as they have all had to overcome many versions of hardships to get them to the pinnacle of competing the OG and making an EF, only to have their moment tarnished by something a group of supposed responsible individuals who erred in a big way, and were/are only interested in saving their own skins, and/or making themselves out to be the saviors of the moment.
Because apparently it needs to be said a second time: Gina has nothing to do with this.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back