FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I don't think this is in any way about a Romania vs US rivalry.

If FIG gave FRG reason to doubt that the enquiry was legitimate, as they did by announcing it so late, FRG had a right to ask for information for an appeal. It's not about America.
No, the whole thing is entirely about Romania plc

Andy is Andy. He IS smart and is fully within his rights to hold that opinion. Should he have posted about it? In my opinion, that’s a grey area but doesn’t make me think any less of him.

As MC said, I think Romania thinks they have a rivalry with the US that the US is unaware of.

As new here, may I ask a silly question? Why judges were suddenly so generous to Ana? She never received such a high score internationally before. I thought it was a solid routine but nothing special. I’d be happy to be corrected! She finished 14th in the all around and qualified last for floor final and now she is Olympic bronze medalist- not bad considering. Yes she has shown herself as very mature and nice person but it is not how medals are awarded

Romania had a rivalry for the bronze medal in the floor event. A fairly minor rivalry that has snowballed. The wrong Romanian gymnast has been given the one bronze medal. It's over.

So you think any other federation would have been like: hey, my gymnast didn't step oob but got a tenth deducted. But well, never mind, yay!

It's rather your Rom-hate getting the best of you
Yes. Other federations wouldn’t have challenged it because they need the financial backing and influence from the National Olympic committee. Most NOCs would have said no, it’s absolute shot in the dark stuff. Especially in Voinea’s case as it involves a field of play situation

As new here, may I ask a silly question? Why judges were suddenly so generous to Ana? She never received such a high score internationally before. I thought it was a solid routine but nothing special. I’d be happy to be corrected! She finished 14th in the all around and qualified last for floor final and now she is Olympic bronze medalist- not bad considering. Yes she has shown herself as very mature and nice person but it is not how medals are awarded
Ana has a very cleverly choreographed routine that plays to her strengths. Her coaches were tweaking it right up to Olympics and added difficulty. Her artistry and form in air are strong, and she has some high scoring connections.

Nobody has disputed her D score, which was towards the higher end of her range. She has sometimes done triple wolf which would have raised it.

Jordan's team final routine was much better than her event final routine. Ana had her best day on events final day. These things happen or sports would be boring

There's nothing suspect about Ana's score. There's quite a gap between Simone and Rebeca and the rest of the field, but that isn't surprising.

Editing to add: your language about judges being suddenly generous to Ana could be read as an accusation. But that wasn't an exceptionally high score. There were four gymnasts still to come (D'Amato, Biles, Voinea, Chiles) who could be expected to beat it on a good day. Well Biles could beat it on her worst day, as we saw!

Last edited:
Yes. Other federations wouldn’t have challenged it because they need the financial backing and influence from the National Olympic committee. Most NOCs would have said no, it’s absolute shot in the dark stuff. Especially in Voinea’s case as it involves a field of play situation
CAS ad hoc cases are free, so they just needed legal fees, and it seems USAG is just as willing to pay out here as FRG. If you look at CAS reports from Paris, plenty of countries made similar investments and most were rejected.

Andy is Andy. He IS smart and is fully within his rights to hold that opinion. Should he have posted about it? In my opinion, that’s a grey area but doesn’t make me think any less of him.

As MC said, I think Romania thinks they have a rivalry with the US that the US is unaware of.
Of course he's within his rights to think something. It's not North Korea. He just sounds like a bellend.

I don’t feel like it’s USA vs Romania. In my view I want the fairest outcome and to know what that is all the facts and rules need to be laid out. It’s all in the details.

Sabrina would have gotten the bronze if her mother had submitted inquiry for the ND if it was the foot stepping out in the one corner we have all viewed over and over. But she didn’t. It’s too late for that. The other gymnast, Ana, would have had it, no doubt, without an accepted inquiry on Jordan’s gogean. Normally a field of play decision like that would not be overturned.

I’m not sure that the facts given by FIG on the inquiry match reality. If USAG has contradictory video it should be viewed. If for no other reason than to point out the incompetence of FIG that video should be viewed. Even if Jordan isn’t the medalist on paper FIG has to be shown that they have to fix the issues in the inquiry system.

I hope USAG will show that video some day, because their claims have some people believing it's proof the enquiry went in on time, and others wondering what to do about that seemingly impossible 47 second claim. Feels like the worst of all worlds just to be told video proof exists.

I just think it's so weird that Romania is trying to pass themselves off as the artistic ones against the big, bad, powerful Americans when it used to be the Romanians who were accused of being expressionless (90s-00s era). Maybe they feel some kind of way because they've been using the Dutch/Belgian model of getting back into the team competition, but you have to do more to get into the medals.

I just think it's so weird that Romania is trying to pass themselves off as the artistic ones against the big, bad, powerful Americans when it used to be the Romanians who were accused of being expressionless. Maybe they feel some kind of way because they've been using the Dutch/Belgian model of getting back into the team competition, but you have to do more to get into the medals.
I don't know where this comes from?

Romania haven't claimed to be more artistic than US and they haven't brought artistry into this issue at all.

Romania has had artistic and less artistic periods over the years, often depending what the code rewards.

Of course, you need a high D score as well as good execution to get among the medals. Artistry is least important. Ana, Sabrina and Jordan weren't far apart on any of these points.

Even if it was cheating, which it's not, it's a valid concern on Romania's part as noted above, he comes across as heckling an 18-year-old, which isn't the best form.
Yes. Ana's age alone should be enough to give pause to a man so much older. There are plenty of ways he could've made vague accusations about cheating whilst ensuring he couldn't be seen as critical of a totally blameless adolescent.

I hope USAG will show that video some day, because their claims have some people believing it's proof the enquiry went in on time, and others wondering what to do about that seemingly impossible 47 second claim. Feels like the worst of all worlds just to be told video proof exists.
How is it seemingly impossible? I think it seems quite realistic. All Cecile had to do was walk up to the table and say "I would like to file an inquiry." We have video of her walking away from Jordan at like 40 seconds, seven seconds seems reasonable walking to the table and saying one sentence.

The judges weren't really suddenly generous to Ana. She scored a tenth higher than qualifying. 3-9 were all in a very very close range and so it would come to the performance of the day. She had the oob with the step but she was clean in the other landings. So she grabbed it on a day where others made mistakes. And frankly, that includes Jordan. She could have been olympic champion, possibly, if she didn't have two rather large landing mistakes.

Ana was in several euros finals, and I just went and checked and she upgraded her first and last tumbling passes as well.

Last edited:
How is it seemingly impossible? I think it seems quite realistic. All Cecile had to do was walk up to the table and say "I would like to file an inquiry." We have video of her walking away from Jordan at like 40 seconds, seven seconds seems reasonable walking to the table and saying one sentence.

She walks away from Jordan at 45 seconds on the Eurosport feed - maybe you saw a different one. The table is over two seconds away no matter how fast she goes.

She walks away from Jordan at 45 seconds on the Eurosport feed - maybe you saw a different one. The table is over two seconds away no matter how fast she goes.
You need arena footage for the true time. Not feed delayed.

You need arena footage for the true time. Not feed delayed.
Camera's constantly on one spot, no cuts or lagging. So if feed is delayed, there's still 45 seconds from beginning to end.

But if someone can point to arena or TV footage with just 40 seconds, I'd be interested.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back