FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Wishful thinking that they also loosen up on tiebreaker “rules” someday. You both tie for first? You both get gold. Both have earned it.
I know the rule existed before then for the Olympics, but I blame the four-way tie for UB gold at 2015 Worlds. The FIG will never consider not breaking ties for the Olympics after that.

The IOC put pressure on them to resolve ties, hence 2008 UB procedures. However the pressure must have lessened at some point because now it’s just E/D, as happened for HB bronze.

What a fucking shit show.
Wow. Just wow. So FIG will hold the last gymnast strictly to a one minute time limit for an inquiry but has absolutely no way of verifying whether or not that inquiry was made within the one minute time limit. And on that basis medals can be won or lost. What to say.

There is a way! There’s plenty of video evidence. They just pretend it doesn’t exist.
Right. But whether or not there is actually a way of verifying whether or not the inquiry was submitted within the one minute time limit, the fact that they say there is no way removes any legitimacy from their process. That's the point right? What a total disgrace. Its a scandal. A true scandal.

I think the bigger can of worms is that you are now allowed to overrule the judgement of the day. Even if on a technicality that wasn't noticed, it is a bad precedent to set. Though, maybe it is time to revisit the 1972 basketball game if the incompetence of officials is now reason to overthrow results. I'm guessing Romania didn't have access to that raw omega data originally so when did they get to see it and change their challenge? I'm guessing that while the 1 minute thing is generally known, it has obviously never been tested to this strictness and who was it that pointed it out, I wonder?

There was just so much wrong with the scoring. Was Romania so desperate for a medal that they looked through all the rules to find an appeal?

I’m not saying the gymnasts had no reason to be upset. Clearly, the Gogean wasn’t around and Sabrina didn’t step out (from what we’ve seen).

It just seems like great lengths to go to for a bronze medal. Did the US even try half this hard to prove that the Chinese gymnasts in 2008 were underage? Gold medals were on the line at that time.

Maybe I’m just overly frustrated and aggravated and disgusted by the whole situation. I’m not a die-hard fan of Chiles or Barbosu or Voinea, but goddamn.

Once again, the so-called “grown ups” are not looking out for the athletes. I know Jordan is an adult, but she’s still young.

There was just so much wrong with the scoring. Was Romania so desperate for a medal that they looked through all the rules to find an appeal?
They were for sure desperate for a medal. They weren't even at the Olympics last time (Larisa was but she withdrew) and they haven't had any international medals for a while. They got so close here and they weren't going to drop it of there was a small chance.

USA on the other hand....what's another medal. I don't agree with this of course, but Romania's passionate effort makes total sense.

I think the bigger can of worms is that you are now allowed to overrule the judgement of the day. Even if on a technicality that wasn't noticed, it is a bad precedent to set. Though, maybe it is time to revisit the 1972 basketball game if the incompetence of officials is now reason to overthrow results. I'm guessing Romania didn't have access to that raw omega data originally so when did they get to see it and change their challenge? I'm guessing that while the 1 minute thing is generally known, it has obviously never been tested to this strictness and who was it that pointed it out, I wonder?
You have always been able to appeal errors of procedure.

You have always been able to appeal errors of procedure.
Yes. But overturning the results is a step down a slippery slope. Mistakes are made that would have changed the outcome of sporting events all the time but we don't go back and change the results. That skeet shooter woman was wrongly not credited with a hit, it was obvious on replay that they didn't use, and the mistake changed the color of the medal she received. She appealed at the time and was denied. Medals awarded. Do we now go back and change the results and reshuffle the medals or do they work to make sure a mistake like that doesn't reoccur?

So far, FIG has admitted nothing, apologized for nothing, and made no mention of potential future improvements. Instead, they've let the athletes shoulder the burden, can't remember the name of the people doing the time and line judging, acted like the technology they use works flawlessly all the time despite no proof, and basically flailed around making things worse.

I’m not saying the gymnasts had no reason to be upset. Clearly, the Gogean wasn’t around and Sabrina didn’t step out (from what we’ve seen).

It just seems like great lengths to go to for a bronze medal. Did the US even try half this hard to prove that the Chinese gymnasts in 2008 were underage? Gold medals were on the line at that time.

Maybe I’m just overly frustrated and aggravated and disgusted by the whole situation. I’m not a die-hard fan of Chiles or Barbosu or Voinea, but goddamn.

Once again, the so-called “grown ups” are not looking out for the athletes. I know Jordan is an adult, but she’s still young.
I mean, it's possible. Their overall medal count (across all sports) has been decreasing significantly for several Olympic cycles now.

I mean, it's possible. Their overall medal count (across all sports) has been decreasing significantly for several Olympic cycles now.
Romania is going through a period of huge social and political change. In a way, the politics of Romanian gymnastics encapsulates this. Patrick Kiens, an EU national, coming to live and work in Romania.

Where Romania seems to be increasingly strong is in its tennis players

Ana seems like a very kind and caring young lady. I wish the "fans" on social media could be half as gracious and sportsmanlike as these young athletes have been.
455140888_18448513993007751_7935943734339297032_n.jpg

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back