FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

As per the nd deduction, they said they should have known they had to specifically inquire based on these two articles:

SmartSelect_20240815_072357_Dropbox.jpg

I mean article 4 is about judges' responsibilities. You'd think that tidy bit of info could have make its way to article 8, where inquiries are handled, but I guess where's the fun in that

But apparently there seems to be a mechanism, the omega one?
View attachment 11117
But we don’t know the intermediate steps in this inquiry. Who does the coach talk to? Does that person, in this case member of the LOC, record it somewhere then walk over to the person in charge of the Omega system where its input? How long does that take? If you only have 1 minute to get it logged in but USAG had video showing it was under 1 minute then those steps are crucial.

We do know these things, it's explained in the report.

Donatella Sacci testified that the person you go to for inquiries is sitting at a table on the competition floor with the tablet in hand to record it:

"In this matter I’m sorry I have to say that this is an electronical system is not manual. So in the moment they enter this first verbal inquiry. I receive automatically, because you need to understand how the system works. So there is on the field of play an inquiry table with an inquiry officer with a tablet. The coach goes there and put first the verbal inquiry and in this for the last gymnast of the rotation in this case of the competition to put the verbal inquiry. And then they have four minutes time for the written inquiry. These arrives automatically to my tablet." - Sacci

Cecile testified that she saw the official record the inquiry immediately.

cecile.png

Last edited:
If Cecile had actually been in a great rush to inquire, it would have easily been under a minute. Instead she was just standing around for more than half of the time she had available until Laurent walked over and told her they didn't give her the leap.

If Laurent wasn't on the floor with another gymnast and Cecile was Jordan's coach alone, she wasn't even going to go put in an inquiry.

Cecile is the beam coach only at WCC. Just like at Pan Ams where she let Jordan crash head first into the ground on UB without making any attempt to spot her, she couldn't recognize if the Gogean needed to be inquired on or not without Laurent telling her because she doesn't coach Jordan on events other than beam.

Last edited:
I can’t really believe that after all this, the fact that inquiries are not free hasn’t really hit the news.
I think that's pretty standard, there must be some price, be it financial or otherwise, to pay to inquire, otherwise it would be neverending. Tennis does it by giving them three chances in a set, for example. It's hard to envision something like this for gym so they went with money I guess.

Cecile is the beam coach only at WCC. Just like at Pan Ams where she let Jordan crash head first into the ground on UB without making any attempt to spot her, she couldn't recognize if the Gogean needed to be inquired on or not without Laurent telling her because she doesn't coach Jordan on events other than beam.
Sorry, but this is complete nonsense.

Or maybe you’re right, and USA gymnastics and Georgia have appointed a head coach who needs her husband to tell her whether a Gogean is rotated or not.

I’m aware of the reasoning, but I have always thought payment was wild. Especially if judges are expected to make calls so they can be inquired against.
There has to be a payment, not a promissory, or it would happen with every routine

Sorry, but this is complete nonsense.

Or maybe you’re right, and USA gymnastics and Georgia have appointed a head coach who needs her husband to tell her whether a Gogean is rotated or not.

Then what was she waiting for?

I don’t see how Georgia, who also hired Kupets for the same role with zero experience, or USAG, famous for their incompetence, who appointed Cecile as head coach because she was the only female coach registered to an athlete on the team, is relevant to Cecile knowing if she needed to inquire this FX routine without outside prompting.

Then what was she waiting for?

I don’t see how Georgia, who also hired Kupets for the same role with zero experience, or USAG, famous for their incompetence, who appointed Cecile as head coach because she was the only female coach registered to an athlete on the team, is relevant to Cecile knowing if she needed to inquire this FX routine without outside prompting.
I think the general feeling, with the landing errors, was that she wasn't going to medal. So maybe she thought "right, not enough" and didn't even let the d- score sink in? We're talking 30 seconds here, maybe she just didn't realise, it's a very different situation from voinea who was expecting a higher score so of course she's going to look at everything straight away

What the heck did Cecile ever do to you? I think 30 seconds is barely any time to comfort a sad gymnast, look up at the score, note the E, D, and ND columns, deal with Olympic cameras/noise/pressure, and begin to calculate in your head all the places where a .1 difference could happen.

Jordan Chiles was given a D score of 5.8 in both qualifications and team finals because she didn’t get the Gogean around.

This wasn’t.. some grand calculation that needed to be done. It was the third time it happened that week.

You could say Cecile was the only one who got it right by not initially inquiring until she after was told to, because the Gogean clearly wasn’t around. But she says here that “we” thought it was closer to being complete so she inquired.

46AABC05-D4DE-479F-B0FD-765674AE909C.jpeg

There's more than one area in any routine where .1 can happen. Personally, I would probably replay elements in my head from the start, because if it's not the Gogean, you're going to want to also include what it might be on the inquiry. In theory judges can look at the whole routine, but clearly didn't here. Say it was something else?
Regardless, dragging an elite/college coach based on conjecture when they had been sought out by high level athletes and programs is certainly a choice.

Jordan Chiles was given a D score of 5.8 in both qualifications and team finals because she didn’t get the Gogean around.

This wasn’t.. some grand calculation that needed to be done. It was the third time it happened that week.

You could say Cecile was the only one who got it right by not initially inquiring until she after was told to, because the Gogean clearly wasn’t around. But she says here that “we” thought it was closer to being complete so she inquired.

View attachment 11121
Yeah, it’s called a collective decision

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back