FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think she agreed with the 5.8 start score but Laurent convinced her to do the inquiry because they had nothing to lose and that was the best Gogean attempt.
Well nothing to lost but a few hundred bucks...

Given the number of inquiries we saw through all.phases of competition, I don't think the cost is deterring federations for submitting inquiries.
I hadn’t been to an international competition until the Olympics and there were a lot more inquiries than I expected.

Jordan's statement (I did a screen shot, in case it gets pulled down from insta for any reason)
455671466_10169048528720290_7190022591268569167_n.jpg

What the heck did Cecile ever do to you? I think 30 seconds is barely any time to comfort a sad gymnast, look up at the score, note the E, D, and ND columns, deal with Olympic cameras/noise/pressure, and begin to calculate in your head all the places where a .1 difference could happen.
But you do the calculations in advance. You have the same time to view the routine as the judges, and then the time until the scores come up. And last is a risk free situation unless you're in a medal position.

She would know Jordan's routine well, and she only needed to consider what elements might have been deducted.

Getting the enquiry in was the priority - Simone was with Jordan, and Laurent could have been too.

But you do the calculations in advance. You have the same time to view the routine as the judges, and then the time until the scores come up. And last is a risk free situation unless you're in a medal position.

She would know Jordan's routine well, and she only needed to consider what elements might have been deducted.

Getting the enquiry in was the priority - Simone was with Jordan, and Laurent could have been too.
You also don't have the world's most perfect view from the area where competitors/coaches stand. To assume that you have as solid a read on it as the judges is to potentially miss something. It's extremely possible that Laurent was in the stands or somewhere better to see the routine, and that's why they make the inquiry after he comes in to share what he saw. And if the USAG timeline is correct, she did make a priority of that inquiry and had it in in 47 seconds.

You also don't have the world's most perfect view from the area where competitors/coaches stand. To assume that you have as solid a read on it as the judges is to potentially miss something. It's extremely possible that Laurent was in the stands or somewhere better to see the routine, and that's why they make the inquiry after he comes in to share what he saw. And if the USAG timeline is correct, she did make a priority of that inquiry and had it in in 47 seconds.
Sure. I'm not suggesting Cecile can't do her job. But lots of people only have one coach on the floor at EF, so the system is based on one accredited coach watching the routine and making the call.

She had nothing to lose by putting it in straight away, and she said herself they knew the Gogean was the weak point. I certainly don't think she needed Laurent but someone needed to prioritize making that enquiry

I’m pointing out areas for specific improvements.

I’m sure no one at the FIG or anywhere considered an inquiry situation a footrace, but the problem of rules that are written to a level of specificity that cannot be enforced consistently, reliably, and transparently on the floor is a pretty standard problem.

This situation seems certain to result in some inquiry timing changes to improve visibility, which is good but also not as good as spending the organization’s time and any technology dollars on fixing the actual judging issues here. FIG meets don’t even have scoring working correctly all the time; I doubt an inquiry timer is something that would be as easy for them as it should be.

Rhythmic

I don't know their rules.

There are different enquiry forms for different events.

The ones I've seen for WAG - this year 's Euros - did not have HH:MM

There's also nothing incompatible in noting time in HH:MM on a form submitted after five minutes, but still not taking it after 60 seconds.

Saachi noted at appeal that she would normally know if an enquiry came in after 60 seconds because the computer system would block it.

Even if Olympic enquiry forms are in this format, this proves nothing.

I’m sure no one at the FIG or anywhere considered an inquiry situation a footrace, but the problem of rules that are written to a level of specificity that cannot be enforced consistently, reliably, and transparently on the floor is a pretty standard problem.

This situation seems certain to result in some inquiry timing changes to improve visibility, which is good but also not as good as spending the organization’s time and any technology dollars on fixing the actual judging issues here. FIG meets don’t even have scoring working correctly all the time; I doubt an inquiry timer is something that would be as easy for them as it should be.
An enquiry timer could just be another podium screen / scoreboard like this that time the gymnasts' routines. Somebody starts them running. I don't think they've ever caused a problem.

Do they start the inquiry timer running when the result is posted or when the result is posted in the arena? - as they didn't seem to be the same thing in Paris. The official website often had the scores a couple of minutes before they were shown in the arena.

What a fucking shit show.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back