FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I am sad that Chiles' medal was revoked and gymnasts are getting hate online.

But I am happy the FIG's facing embarrassed for its incompetence.
Schadenfreude is real the saddest part to me is that nothing will change because of this debacle

“Sometimes I feel like open discussions being critical of gymnasts' "personalities" (often racially charged, etc)”.

@richard I think whether or not is is racially charged may be in the eyes of the beholder. Unless it’s obvious that we are discussing race it isn’t fair to assume that is what someone is basing their opinion on.

Ana has received her medal. Probably not officially (ceremonial), but it's on the instagram of coach Daymon.
I really don't understand the speed at which this is all happening.

Especially when I'm comparing it to the Japanese and US figure skating teams just now getting their medals from the 2022 Olympics. (I know, I know. Different situations, different sports, different Olympics. But I really don't understand the rush.)

Justice delayed is justice denied, or something. I’d be pleased about the speed if this made any sense whatsoever.

I do think Jordan and others get some degree of benefit from NCAA now that NIL exists. While it isn’t at the scale of the Olympics, there is now an actual season to follow. Being on TV weekly for 14 weeks in addition to the elite season is a considerably larger opportunity to build (ugh) a brand than gymnasts have ever had before.

I really don't understand the speed at which this is all happening.

Especially when I'm comparing it to the Japanese and US figure skating teams just now getting their medals from the 2022 Olympics. (I know, I know. Different situations, different sports, different Olympics. But I really don't understand the rush.)
I think they probably wanted to clear this before the Olympics were over, to avoid the whole paul hamm situation (his hearing was two months after the Olympics ended)

It does seem very quick. Although I believe that because it was settled before the end of the Olympics, the IOC will have been able to use one of the spare bronzes. I think they get destroyed after the games and any sort of appeals or disqualifications after that, they have to recommission a medal which takes much longer

It does seem very quick. Although I believe that because it was settled before the end of the Olympics, the IOC will have been able to use one of the spare bronzes. I think they get destroyed after the games and any sort of appeals or disqualifications after that, they have to recommission a medal which takes much longer
It is interesting that they destroy them. you'd think they'd just keep them in a vault. They are already having some that are tarnishing pretty quickly (though maybe they just polish those up instead of replacing them).

The full report is out. Get ready to be furious.

Takeaways:

• The US had likely 8 hours to prepare for the hearing.
  • The person in charge of receiving inquiries was not an FIG official, but rather affiliated with the local organizing committee. There was no effort to name or locate this person, no testimony was taken.
  • FIG admitted there is no mechanism in place to verify if inquires were requested within the appropriate timeframe.
  • CAS took the side of the federations that awarding three bronze medals would be the most equitable solution. It was the FIG who resisted this.
  • The US did not abject to the inclusion of Gharavi on the panel, who did admit his affiliation with Romania.
  • Donatella is clearly out of her depth.

A local member of the organisers was taking inquiries. That person didn’t give testimony.

I think USA still takes issue with the following from the report:

IMG_1554.jpeg

Can anyone recall a previous score inquiry being rejected for being too late? (Excluding inquiries that were obvious like being a day too late or an hour too late.)

Can anyone recall a previous score inquiry being rejected for being too late? (Excluding inquiries that were obvious like being a day too late or an hour too late.)
Melnikova FX EF at 2021 worlds? Feel like someone mentioned that in part one of this megathread.

But apparently there seems to be a mechanism, the omega one?
SmartSelect_20240815_072214_Dropbox.jpg

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back