FIG 2022-2024 Code Of Points

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Ok. So we are discussing it now because we think it should have been removed but it wasn’t?

I think we are giving the FIG too much credit! 😂

I’m most surprised that the sideways jumps didn’t get downgraded or limited in some way.

This has been the most under-utilised way of getting series bonus/CV throughout the whole quad.

Side somi - straddle 1/2 - split 1/2 - jump 1/1 gets 0.7 in bonus, and 4 Ds, all your dance elements, your dance CR, and your fwd acro.

Can you think of any other way of building bonus better than this?

Last edited:
I think they’re limited in that you need to complete the turn before or after hitting split position.

Perhaps @Concorde can enlighten us about how these turning jumps will be treated. Is there a downgrade or just an execution deduction for achieving the split position mid-jump?

It no doubt is much harder to achieve than what we’re seeing from gymnasts today, not that it’s more aesthetically-pleasing or beautiful… oh WTC. I actually really enjoy the connection when it’s performed like Ou Yushan and Guan Chenchen. I think it’s of the brightest spots of compositional ingenuity that we’ve seen on beam throughout recent quads.

Aly Raisman really won with this asinine change; full credit to hers

Last edited:
The rule is listed under a statement about difficulty but, you’re right, the code doesn’t specify the actual penalty for doing the straddle/split at the 1/4 turn position.

Thankfully only for 1/2 turning jumps/leaps/hops, and since switch halfs almost always have the twist first and the split second, it’s really mostly just going to affect those half-twisting beam elements done sideways.

Oh interesting. I find that most gymnasts twist during the leg-change on the switch 1/2.

She doesn’t quite hit the proper split position but at 1:40 here, Raisman demonstrates the switch prior to the half turn

Whereas Mustafina turns in the middle of the switch at 0:30 here

Am I misinterpreting this?

Perhaps @Concorde can enlighten us about how these turning jumps will be treated. Is there a downgrade or just an execution deduction for achieving the split position mid-jump?
I can’t provide any official guidance, but I want to say that this was actually originally a proposal back in 2017 and believe the rule was that the jump would be downgraded to the non-turning version of the element (e.g. split jump 1/2 becomes split jump). The closest rule to this treatment currently in existence would probably be how a turning ring element is downgraded to the non-ring version of the element if the turn happens before the ring position is shown.

Petition to ban all turning ring leaps. I don’t mind turning rind jumps. But leaps don’t look right.

I hope they just make it a 0.1 deduction for precision. Otherwise, you get all kinds of dominoes with the D-score and score protests and panel reviews etc.

I’ve thought about it, sat on it… and decided I am 100% on board with asinine artistry deductions being removed, and an additive alternative put in place. If difficulty is based on what you ADD to the routine, why isn’t artistry? And now it’s so simple a fix in my head, I’m mad about it. Deducting for artistry in an open-ended system is insane. Just reward it.

Code needs a rewrite, someone please. It’s awful.

about 10-12 years ago, we actually did a huge group brainstorm at WWGym to create an additive artistry rubric to replace deductions. Many people were involved and the outcome was intuitive, fair, and easy to use, which we verified by testing it with lots of examples.

Due to Hitch, all those posts are gone. 😦 I may have the list somewhere, though. If not, it might be fun to try to brainstorm again.

Has anyone put together a comprehensive list of the top line changes in the new code?

I would love someone to do a legal redline comparing each code. I would do it but you’d need a word doc to do it.

Is there any word on whether the Candle 1/2 mount is also being downgraded to C?

If not, will we see the Candle 1/2 by everyone that previously used the Candle?

Is there any word on whether the Candle 1/2 mount is also being downgraded to C?

If not, will we see the Candle 1/2 by everyone that previously used the Candle?
Yes, both the candle mount and candle 1/2 mount are going to be listed under Element Number 1.314 and will be C elements.

Last edited:
I feel like UB the last quad was the key for winning big. Is that going to be the same.

Why would you say that? Do you mean TF? Not trying to be catty, I just conjure up images of simone everywhere, who’s not particularly great on bars, and the good bar workers I can think of, like the Chinese and Nina and Seitz, didn’t seem to get a lot other than the UB medals. Why do you feel it mostly came down to bars?

I actually do agree. Look at the top 5 in the AA. Pretty much were the top 5 of the bar rotation.

In tokyo the 5 best AA include 4 best UBs of the AA plus Mai. Beam it’s actually the best 5 beam scores for the AA. So if that’s the argument then you would be better saying it’s bb that gives the advantage.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back