FIG 2022-2024 Code Of Points

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’ve always thought of an Arabian half out with an early twist on the first flip and a late twist on the second flip. Half in half out I’ve thought of as a late 1/2 twist on the first flip and a early 1/2 twist on the second flip. Carly Patterson was the closest I’ve seen to the latter on both bars and floor, who never quite seemed to do a full in or a full out.

…and nonsense to us more casual viewers who can’t easily keep track of how many flips occurred, much less when the twists were happening!

It didn’t occur to me to include trampoline, definitely seen difference in twist timing there, too.

Amy Chow used to do an arabian double front half out but it was really and half in half out IIRC then she just went with piked full ins after that.

A few of the Romanian juniors tried getting their full twisting double tuck credited as arabian double front half out because it was an E element compared to D element full in in the 1997-1998 years.

So could you do a drop out of a Shap?
While I don’t think it is the intent of the WTC to allow this, based on the writing of the rule as is, I believe you could.
Ooh that is big. Is that qualification applied to switch ring leaps and ring jumps as well?
Yes, under Article 9.3 where the requirements for all dance elements are listed.

So from next year, any split/switch ring attempt where the back foot is not at head height would get downgraded to switch/split?

That’s huge. That changes the calculus for that element entirely.

Gracias mi amor!
I couldn’t remember who it was but it was Draguta!

Reactions: bhs
Carly Patterson was the closest I’ve seen to the latter on both bars and floor, who never quite seemed to do a full in or a full out.
Tasha Schwikert also did more of a 1/2 in - 1/2 out on floor.
Yeah, I rememember Draguta Dobre trying to get credit for an arabian double front half out on floor at the 1997 Junior ITC.
I’m inclined to believe this was an error on the part of the commentator, Maura Driscoll. Dobre clearly performed a full-in.

The “feminine grace” line makes me angry. FIG should not be imposing that on people, and worse, judges could use this as a justification to penalize gymnasts who do powerful, fun dance instead of “graceful” dance. A very similar line was originally in the 2001-2004 code, but it was removed because it’s all kinds of awful. This committee has brought it back, possibly not remembering what was there and why it was removed.

@Concorde just wanted to say that I’m appreciating you sharing such precise analysis.

Last edited:
The “feminine grace” line makes me angry. FIG should not be imposing that on people, and worse, judges could use this as a justification to penalize gymnasts who do powerful, fun dance instead of “graceful” dance. A very similar line was originally in the 2001-2004 code, but it was removed because it’s all kinds of awful. This committee has brought it back, possibly not remembering what was there and why it was removed.

@Concorde just wanted to say that I’m appreciating you sharing such precise analysis.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks @Denn!

In terms of actual artistry deductions, I don’t think a gymnast could be penalized. Unlike the 2001-2004 COP where it was listed under the artistry deductions (0.05 to 0.1 for insufficient femininity, beauty, and elegance), the phrase is only listed in the general description. That being said, it could certainly bias judges even if not listed as an artistry deduction, and along with the reasons mentioned previously by you and others are why the language is problematic.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back