FIG 2022-2024 Code Of Points

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’ve just realised, currently, Ono to Fan gets ED+1.

In the new Code Ono to Fan gets EC+0 and loses out on the 0.2 DMT bonus.

Simply putting the half twist at the end of the dismount, gets EE+2 AND gets the 0.2 DMT bonus.

So there’s going to be a 6 tenth difference between where you place the half turn in the dismount.

Is the placement of the twist REALLY 6 tenths more difficult?

Also, we have often seen double front halfs with a REALLY early turn in the second salto. I wonder if this might turn into an issue?

Last edited:
As usual, a few steps forward, many steps backward, and in the end, not much that will result in coaches making many changes. VT is whatever – the D scores were hacked across the board, but the gaps are somewhat stable and logical for the first time in a while, so I’ll take it.

They still need an A Panel for true changes in artistry; using only 3 scores out of 7 is a joke; and, deductions jumping more than DV (-.10 > -.30 > -.50 vs. .10 > .20 > .30 > etc.) needs to be addressed before this sport moves forward again, IMO. Of course, moving away from letters and to individual values, etc., would also be great, but hey… it’s the WTC.

UNEVEN BARS
The CV formulas really don’t do anything positive, IMO.
  1. Really wish they’d add .10 CV for D+C (C = on HB without turn / flight to LB)
  2. Really wish they’d add SB for D+D (flight + flight on HB) and D+C+D (Shap + Free-Hip 1/2 + Ezhova or Tkatchev + Giant 1/1 + Pak)
  3. Really wish they’d reduce CV by -.10 for connections broken by an empty swing; this would’ve prevented E+D (.20) changing to D+F. The Pak (D) + VLW (E) part of the E+D+E transition series IS very difficult, and deserving of .20. They threw away Ricna (E) + Pak (D) and more to get rid of Komova (E) + Pak (D) = .20 when it shouldn’t even be a thing.
It’s nice to see free-hip hecht 1/2 at ‘D’ / some attempt at expanding ‘root’ limits to the flight phase of elements… but if these changes are going to be arbitrary, why bother?
  1. Free-hip hecht 1/2 receives a penalty if a kip is performed after; however, it’s more difficult to generate enough swing into anything of value on the HB, and there’s no CV for going into a ‘C’ transition (Backward Roll).
  2. Other hecht skills like the Yarotska (stalder-hecht; incorrectly assigned to the free-hip version, by the way) and Zgoba (piked stalder-hecht) should’ve been bumped with any logic applied.
  3. A simple, blanket rule limiting both entries AND flight phases to a max of 2 per root (DV; 3 for CV) would’ve made things cleaner and taken care of composition that is heavy on more than just stalder or Reverse Hechts.
BALANCE BEAM
  1. The ‘B+D’ = .10 is a welcome addition to CV, but they ruined it by requiring it be done in order… this excludes Side Aerial + Korbut/BHS, or a mount like BHS+Korbut.
  2. Dance/Mixed SB will continue to be a joke, with the Split Leap down an ‘A’ - the values for jumps/leaps/hops are totally out of whack and all because they didn’t want to change the ‘B+B+C’ Acro formula to account for ‘A’ skills. Stupid.
  3. Yurchenko Loop being bumped to a D is great; the Tezas needed to be bumped to F’s, though.
  4. Happy to see (I think) that the Ring Jump and Leap are considered the same now; however, the Stag Ring and Sissone Ring needed to be bumped to C, Sheep to D, and Yang Bo to F.
FLOOR EXERCISE
I guess, whatever? Not seeing anything that will make much of a difference here.
  1. I really wish they’d add A+E (indirect) = .10
  2. Randi needs to be F, Podkopayeva and Fwd 3/1 G
  3. Double Backs need to be limited to 1 per shape unless 1) performed in a different combination, 2) done with 360+ LA turn – and, max of 2 or 3 per routine… so sick of “routines” that are progressions… DBL Tuck, DBL Pike, DLO… we get it.

Just make it possible to count a fall from a wolf turn–an uncontrolled turn that is sat down or rolled out of because the athlete could not maintain balance is a full 1.0 deduction.

ETA: And a .5 deduction if they grab the beam or have to touch the floor with a hand to steady themselves

Last edited:
I don’t think the timing of the twist will be an issue; the WTC has been somewhat consistent giving credit based on the non-twisting somersault:
  1. ADF (Tucked) = Fontaine (1/2-in, front tuck out)
  2. Varga (1/2-in laidout, front pike 1/2 out) = ADF (Piked)
Have we seen more than a handful (if that many) DF 1/2s since it was raised to ‘E’ anyway? Not the point obviously.

The scenario you outlined (+ WTC messing with DMT values for 2 cycles) is more reason to restructure DV. The difference between an Ono + DF 1/2 vs. Ono + Fan = 0.6; meanwhile, the difference between a Fan (C) with leg sep (-.10) and flexed toe (-.10) vs. a perfect Layout Flyaway (A) = 0.0. How in the world is that fair or objective (as promised in a non-10.0 SV system)?

I really think we need a structure that looks something like:
A = 0.0
B = 0.1
C = 0.2 - 0.35
D = 0.4 - 0.55
E = 0.6 - 0.65
F = 0.7 - 0.75
G = 0.8 - 0.85
H = 0.9 - 0.95
I = 1.0+

A elements didn’t even add to the Base Score as Value Parts after 1992 (except Team Optionals from 1993 - 1996), and beyond the required 2-4 B / C skills, any individual skills rated low than D added no real value. We’ve gone from a system that:
  1. Incentivized D+ skills: A) they were the only skills that could be used to build a 10.0 SV, B) deductions in -.05 increments meant risk was worth the reward (+.10, .20, or .30 [01-05]);
  2. Penalized lower difficulty through A) SR (-.20 for having less than a C / D [EF] DMT), B) composition deductions (‘progressive distribution of difficulty’)
… to 1 that makes a routine with 4 ‘A’ and 4 ‘B’ skills look SMART by giving them value that is so disproportionate to the risk of harder skills.

So the ring jump and leap are now grouped together, but the normal split jump and leap are not?

So on floor you can’t perform both a Ferrari and a ring jump 1/1 for credit, but you can perform a split leap 1/1 and split jump 1/1? …okay.

I would also like to see removal of FIG licence for anyone who does a triple wolf then a double wolf right afterwards. Or vice versa.

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am over BB. It’s insane for Split Jump to be worth 2 minor errors less than a Rulfova. But, at least get the values and CV right. All jumps should = B if they reach 1) split / 2) 90-degree bend of hips. Last quad was bad enough (Sissone, Wolf, Cat, etc., left behind), but with Split Leap devalued, all Mixed CV and Mixed / Dance SB will use Split or Straddle Jump essentially.

Why force the B+B+C SB / D+B Mixed CV formulas (vs. A+A+C and D+A) if so few Dance skills qualify? DV/CV were more sensical pre-2017 (D+A Mixed CV; most basic jumps = A). Who prefers a compulsory Aerial + Split + Straddle to a mix of: 1) Aerial + Sissone, 2) Full Turn + Side Aerial, 3) Front Tuck + Wolf, 4) Cat Leap + Side Somi?

Lastly, for all the picayune deductions for rhythm, nothing ruins the flow of a BB routine more than 2 static jumps; yet, the WTC has done everything they can to eradicate leaps, hops, and turns in CV/SB. Aerial + Sissone + Full Turn is more fluid and rhythmic vs. Aerial + Split Jump + Straddle Jump, yet the latter earns .40 more.

Also, we have often seen double front halfs with a REALLY early turn in the second salto. I wonder if this might turn into an issue?
The double front 1/2 is an E whether the 1/2 twist is completed in the first or the second salto. Because of how early off the bar the 1/2 twist usually occurs in a Fan, the first salto rotates primarily backwards, so in theory there should be no confusion between a gymnast that attempts a double front 1/2 with the turn in the first salto vs. a Fan.

I’ve having trouble thinking of someone who did a true double front 1/2 in the 1st salto… everyone I can think of does it in the 2nd

Pak full + Maloney — INSANELY HARD CONNECTION — will be worth 0.1 only.

Last edited:
They wanted to downgrade Komova II - Pak. This is a nasty side effect.

She will just do a barani in back out. Judges will need to determine whether there’s any turn on the bar. And that decision will matter 0.6 to her D Score.

Is turning on the bar vs turning mid-first-Salto really 0.6 easier?

Last edited:
Reactions: L_R
Inbar 1/1 + Komova II + Ricna EEE .4
Teza (German giant into Pak) + Chow 1/2 EE .2
1/2 + Healy + Ling 1/2 + Mustafina BEEE .3
EEEEEEEE 4.0 + 2.0 + .9 = 6.9

someone get this routine to the Chinese NT coaches. Have I made any errors?

So is Maloney + Gienger only .1 now?

Apparently Becky’s new routine does VERY well in the new code. Although there’s 3 Tkatchevs they’re all different roots (Hindorf, Downie and Tweddle) and their composition is such that they can all retain their 0.2CV status.

Suni really loses. The Nabz goes down. The piked jaeger goes down. She loses a tenth in CV there. And Bhadwaj to Shap also goes down a tenth.

Although they’re both 6.8 now, Becky goes up to 6.9 and Suni goes down to 6.5.

So is Maloney + Gienger only .1 now?
It’s still 0.2. (D flight from low bar to high bar + C or higher on high bar).
Although they’re both 6.8 now, Becky goes up to 6.9 and Suni goes down to 6.5.
I have Lee at a 6.3 and Downie at a 6.7.

Downie loses 0.1 for the Ezhova + van Leeuwen combination, while the rest of her CV remains the same.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back